Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 820H Mods  (Read 2013 times)
K4IDK

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »

I did a search and found the information that I needed to extend the receive and transmit ranges of this radio.  I'm mainly concerned with the receive part, since some things, like the ISS are outside of what it can receive from the factory.  The mods involve removing 4 diodes, 2 for receive and 2 for transmit.  They're listed as D25, D26, D27 and D28, the first 2 are for receive and the second 2 are for transmit.  Since I'm not involved in either MARS or CAP I'm mainly interested in the receive mods for the ISS, but it goes on to say that in order to "cross band repeat" that I do need to do the transmit mods as well.

The diagrams and information on how to do it is pretty well laid out and explained on several websites, but I'd like to talk to someone on here that's actually done it before I start doing things to my radio.

So has anyone on here done that, and if so how did it work?  Any problems to watch out for, besides the obvious, like don't remove the wrong parts?

Thanks,
Robert
K4IDK (I Don't Know)
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:13:34 PM »

I had the Icom 820H many years ago, And did the mods to it.     Lots of care needs to be done with crossband repeat opertions.   Those radios were not really set up for 100% duty cycle and the smoke can get out in a hurry if you are not real careful with adding extra cooling fans, etc.

The main thing I did not like about the old 820H was the transmit power setting.... To run into an amplifier I also did the external power adjustment mod, Which worked fine, Just kind of "clunky"

Then I got an Icom IC821H, And had a good time with that for a while, But when the new at that time Icom 910H came out got one of those overpriced rigs.......   
Then I did some serious side by side comparisons between the IC910H and a Kenwood TS2000.  For the very slight advantage of the 910 vs cost, I wound up selling the IC910 and keeping the TS 2000.

Bottom line. I suggest you look long and hard at the Kenwood TS2000, Which was made to crossband repeat, Not only VHF/UHF, But HF to UHF too!

K4IDK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 05:24:35 PM »

Thanks for the input, but I already have an 820H and except for the lack of range in regards to receiving I like it pretty well.  I'd really like an 910H, and if I stay with VHF/UHF stuff I'll likely go that route or look at the Kenwood, but for now I'd like to see if this is something that I enjoy enough to put more money into it before doing so.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 11:04:51 PM »

The out of band mods worked out very well for me.  It was the cross band repeat with the 820 that is touchy........    (And I really like cross band repeat) 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: