Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where the "DE" go?  (Read 1976 times)
KJ7XJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2004, 02:48:06 PM »

Thats good Ed!
HFHAM2

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2004, 06:09:06 PM »

For DX and contest exchanges which are usually conducted at 25 wpm+, the DE allows one to easily pick out the call even if everything else was a blur...

My vote is for DE always.
HFHAM2

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2004, 06:09:07 PM »

For DX and contest exchanges which are usually conducted at 25 wpm+, the DE allows one to easily pick out the call even if everything else was a blur...

My vote is for DE always.
K5CEY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2004, 01:55:14 AM »

Well,

I agree with HFHAM2, even though I don't know who he is. (Sure wish more folks would identify with their call letters).

Please see my earlier comments.

John
N8BOA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2004, 08:47:13 PM »

WHEN EVER YOU SEND YOU CALL ALWAYS "DE" THAT WAY WE ALL KNOW YOUR CALL FOLLOWS WHEN THERE IS LOTS OF QRM QRN OR A PILEUP WE KNOW TO PAY EATRA ATTENTION
ONCE THE QSO IS UNDERWAY MOST ANYTHING GOES
SEAN
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 09:30:49 AM »

For casual use, I personally don't care if the other op uses "de" or not. I know CW well enough that it is not an issue for me. (Ozzie Smith, retired shortstop for the St. Louis Cardinals once said, "It ain't bragging if you can really do it!)

For contesting, it is quite another issue. There are contesting programs for CW and RTTY that have algorithms that trap the next set of characters after it sees "de" by itself and automatically plugs that into the program as the callsign of the transmitting station. It sure helps keep the rate up!

Scott NØIU
WB2NVY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2004, 01:30:47 PM »

I see young people over the last twenty or thirty years go out of their way to do things different from standard practice, for apparently no other reason than just to be different and contrary. I guess that's the wave of the future. I'm guessing all those that refuse to use DE also wear their baseball caps backwards. I will continue to use DE.
K1OPQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2004, 05:55:57 PM »

I agree! To identify your station in CW you have to indicate who you are..."de k1opq" or whomever. If a station responds to my CQ without the "de" to separate his call from mine- he is not identifying his station, but may be bootlegging my call. I will respond: "qrz de k1opq" to give him another try. That failing I do not continue. If the lack of 'de' is to save two letters, I would suggest that a sequence similar to: "My qth is near Concord, NH" be shortened to "qth nr Concord NH." If someone can show me the rules where it says that any two call signs (one right after the other) indicate who is being called by whom, and which is actually transmitting then OK, I will change.

de K1OPQ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: