Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT Replacement Batteries-High Quality Suggestions  (Read 2373 times)
KC0UKR

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2011, 06:03:25 PM »

I am having trouble finding any decent batteries to replace some in HT's I have.

I have used Batterys America a few times but the quality varies from just adequate to terrible.

All of the batteries I have seen at Hamfests are about the same in my view.

I purchased some battery eliminators for example for 2 different radios and neither really fit the radios at all?

I imagine only the radio manufacturers battery will be really nice and all of the others are just replacement crap?
Also the replacement batteries are often available in much higher capacities but for the trade-off of quality.

If I am wrong PLEASE let me know.

Thanks
Ed
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »

One of the many reasons I use the little micro size Yaesu VX3 hand held is the super low cost of batteries.  (They use the very common NP60 camera battery, Available everywhere, Including Ebay)

A PAIR (2)  new batteries including shipping for less than 7 bucks is good!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wholesale-2pcs-NP-60-Battery-fo-HP-Photosmart-R507-R607XI-R707xi-R07-/140630293124?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item20be37fa84

I have been using the little VX3 for years now with these batteries, Some seem better than others. 
At less than $3.50 each, If you don't like a battery, Just toss it out and put in a new one!
(I use that radio every day, And have it on for well over 12 hours a day.  Some of those Ebay batteries have lasted well over two years!)
KC0UKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 04:02:11 AM »

Thanks for the Reply.

I too have a VX-3 and a VX-2 and use the cheap Ebay batteries. I think I got 3 batteries and a charger for less than it cost to ship them.
They are cheap crap balls but they do work,this is the kind of battery that is everywhere but exactly what I do not want.

I have had no issues I guess with these and they are also out of sight when installed and they interchange with a Camera battery which can be handy though.

What I was really asking about is the packs for say the VX-150 or Kenwoods that are made up of AA cells of some kind. Not the ones that take standard AA's but packs to replace the OEM packs.

I went ahead and ordered a few from BatterysAmerica that are built with Sanyo Eneloops which I use and like for other things so I imagine they will work well I just hope they fit the radios?
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 04:32:36 AM »

Try these guys:

http://www.ww-manufacturing.com/

Been using their stuff for many years for many different radios.

Never had a problem.

Mel - KS2G

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 09:45:08 AM »

I use the Eneloop batteries for my digital camera and love 'em.  I think most battery life variations you find is because of the charger, not battery quality.  Sure, there's a lot of Chinese junk out there but if you buy brand name and use the correct charger you will enjoy much longer battery life.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 04:21:48 PM »

It would be hard to go wrong w/ Sanyo Eneloops (low self discharge NiMH's), or any Sanyo NiMH's for that matter.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 10:53:35 AM »

The Duracell rechargable AA's are up to 2.45 amp/hours!  Cripes, you can't hardly find a battery pack that large for most HT's.

KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 04:58:50 PM »

Sanyo NiMH's are available up to 2700 mA-hr these days, and the low self discharge Sanyo eneLoop's are at least 2000 mA-hr, though they are slightly lower internal impedance than regular NiMH's so may last a little longer in high current applications (e.g. HT transmitters, digital cameras) than a regular NiMH of equal nominal rating.

The Duracells may even be rebranded Sanyo (or Panasonic?) cells.

Regardless, they'll beat the performance of NiCd cells of old, and even older, lower capacity NiMH's.
KC0UKR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 06:07:24 AM »

Well....like I said I ordered from BatteriesAmerica and held my breath.
I never got any confirmation so I called and was told they were probably waiting to send my order for the new more powerful Eneloop cells to arrive so I would get the new more power full pack.
I was promised a call back to confirm this and of course never got one.

So the next day the order just shows up,the old packs are in it and I call again to find out what happened.
Naturally they had no idea what I was talking about and the new cells are not going into packs for several weeks they claim.
This is the exact type of thing I was hoping to avoid when I made this post.

So I have the Eneloop packs,they dont fit too well and they are a different color.
I also got a Motorola pack which does not fit worse as expected.

I have tried W&W in the past and got the exact same kind of service and performance and their website is somehow even worse than BA so I am back again wondering why there is no better option for us?

I also got 2 AA packs to put my own batteries in and they are the Vertex units and of course are perfect.

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: