Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help on LoTW  (Read 11564 times)
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 11:21:27 AM »

Here is a file that I put together. It took me over an hour. This is step by step to manual upload:

http://www.mediafire.com/?njfqx0quoh2u8v0

Vinnie,

Great job but, isn't it sad that this level of detailed instruction is necessary to make a cobbled together collection of programs work at all?  Huh
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 12:49:25 PM »

Great job but, isn't it sad that this level of detailed instruction is necessary to make a cobbled together collection of programs work at all? 

That is the manual upload. The automatic upload does not require this.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 01:08:03 PM »

I am assuming that by "manual" uplload you are not using a  logging program.
If so then uploading small files is not difficult.  The problem comes because some of the
things you have to do just don't seem logical.  The easiest to mess up on is signing the
tq8 file.  The program keeps asking you if you want to replace the file and you have to say yes and then it will ask you if this is the file you want to sign THEN you say yes and enter your password.  If you don't sign, you can't upload.   
It took me awhile to figure this out.  Of course I spent ten years fixing other people's
programs so that we could use them and I never considered myself any kind of code
writer.  But if there is a hard way to do something, then someone will hit on it.
Pray for LOTW speedup.
Allen
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 01:32:31 PM »

KA5N,

The manual upload is using a logging program, except you are not using the loggers automatic upload to LoTW. I have to do it this way, because for some reason, I cannot upload thru the HRD logbook, as it won't accept my password. Looks like a bug. However, the download to the logger works perfectly. So, I do my uploads manually. If you have other loggers, you may not have to do this.

I tried to make it (and I hate using the term) idiot-proof. I try and to that for any presentation that I write up, even if it is not ham radio related.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:57:35 PM by N4NYY » Logged
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 02:47:45 PM »

Boy what I wouldn't do to have mine work like that.  I have repeatedly contacted Scott (N3FJP) and basically I get repeatedly told to follow the instructions or go to another instruction sheet or go to another website for more instructions.  I only have 300 contacts so getting a new program is not out of the question if it makes things easier.  Anyways...I am where I was 3 days ago.  I am about to give it up and forget LoTW although I think it sounds like a great idea.

A long while back I used N3FJP's ACLOG s/w. It was ok at logging but when I tried to go past simple logging to do any type of DXCC analysis it fell short. When I contacted the author about how to do any tracking, etc on my DXCC award, I too got the short answer of 'export the data and use Excel to analyze all you want to'. Sorry wrong answer!!! Went looking for something better and found it in DX LAB SUITE written by AA6YQ.

I switched over to DX Lab Suite and could not be any happier. It does anything you can imagine for DXCC analysis, logging, tracking, etc PLUS automatic (2 keystrokes and password entry) LOTW uploads, eQSL uploads and others. Price is good too - FREE! But don't let that scare you off. DX Lab Suite is a collection of ham radio applications designed to work together or stand alone and is one of the most robust suites of software I have ever seen. Dave AA6YQ does a first rate job at improving and maintaining the software. I highly recommend that you take a look at his website.

Gene W5DQ
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 02:49:51 PM by W5DQ » Logged

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »

Another vote for DX Lab suite - the logging program, DX Keeper, makes LotW so easy to use and the support is the best I've encountered for any software, commercial software included.

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »

I switched over to DX Lab Suite and could not be any happier. It does anything you can imagine for DXCC analysis, logging, tracking, etc PLUS automatic (2 keystrokes and password entry) LOTW uploads, eQSL uploads and others.

Gene, you can eliminate the need to specify a password each time you upload to LotW. Step-by-step instructions can be found here

Dave, AA6YQ
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 04:02:14 PM »

I am going to have to take a look at DXlab. I have been using HRD and it has been great for 2 years. However, Simon sold it and it is in limbo. I never knew about Dave software until a couple weeks ago (I know. I live in a cave). When I went to the site, it was impressive.

The thing that bugs me is change. I kind of know HRD like the back of my hand. So I would have to start all over. What I need is people who have used HRD and converted to DXlab.

And Dave, I cannot take your opinion because you designed the damn thing! LOL
KD0LAV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »

I would be interested also.  I deal in customer service and the "follow the instructions" are not customer service.  It's the easy way out.  I am sure Scott is a great person and he did answer ALL my emails even tho it was no answer for what I needed.  That in itself is enough reason for me to find something else.  Loading to LoTW will be a mandatory thing.  Then I have to transfer everything from the old log to the new log.  Oh well, winter is approaching soon.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »

Then I have to transfer everything from the old log to the new log

If both are in ADI format, then this is a breeze. I do it all the time. Did you get to upload?
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »

I am going to have to take a look at DXlab. I have been using HRD and it has been great for 2 years. However, Simon sold it and it is in limbo. I never knew about Dave software until a couple weeks ago (I know. I live in a cave). When I went to the site, it was impressive.

The thing that bugs me is change. I kind of know HRD like the back of my hand. So I would have to start all over. What I need is people who have used HRD and converted to DXlab.

And Dave, I cannot take your opinion because you designed the damn thing! LOL

There are plenty of converts on the DXLab Yahoo Group who will happily answer your questions; I've just sent you an invitation to join. You might also read the two most recent eHam reviews here.

Dave, AA6YQ
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 08:48:30 AM »

I switched over to DX Lab Suite and could not be any happier. It does anything you can imagine for DXCC analysis, logging, tracking, etc PLUS automatic (2 keystrokes and password entry) LOTW uploads, eQSL uploads and others.

Gene, you can eliminate the need to specify a password each time you upload to LotW. Step-by-step instructions can be found here

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave,

Thanks for the insight on LOTW pwds. I'll check that out more when I get a chance. Not that typing in a 6 letter password is a big deal. I have to enter a 14 digit one at work all the time and that get a bit annoying.

Again thanks for the continued support of DXLAB Suite.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 05:53:08 PM »

To N4nyy Vinny, Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!  That Pdf helps alot as I dont upload often or  for that matter get on the air that often to make contacts. It will sure help me cuzz I have partziymmers.... I can only remember half the stuff half the time.  Huh

Now if I could just figure out how to upload to LOTW from hrd....Huh??
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »

Now if I could just figure out how to upload to LOTW from hrd....Huh??

I have HRD. I use the export function. HRD had an auto upload, but the damn thing refuses to acceot my password, for some reason.
N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 08:13:49 PM »

Keep in mind that processing time for an LoTW upload is on the order of a couple of days (45 hours as of Tuesday).  Once you've uploaded the log wait a sufficient amount of time for it to be processed.  Multiple uploads only make the queue larger.

73, de Nate
Marysville, KS

SKCC 6225
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: