Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I did a bad thing  (Read 7151 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2011, 01:33:13 PM »

You remember that D-104 and Courier 23 CB I got for $10 at an estate sale? Well, the D-104 chrome was heavily oxidized and base a drab gray with scratches. So, I polished the chrome with aluminum foil and vinegar. I dremeled the rust off the screws, and painted them satin black. Came out great. But then I decided to try a different look on the base.

Oh the humanity!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd78/yankees_1996/IMG_2075.jpg
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:54:21 PM by N4NYY » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:55:52 PM »

There are three things you need to keep in mind....

1) The most important part of any paint job is surface prep. You can compensate for some flaws with another color coat or clear coat, but the surface has to be level, clean and free of scratches if the paint is going to look its best. In the case of deep scratches a good sanding primer can build up the surface. In this case it looks like you had some residual grease or oil causing the paint to not stick and that's a rookie mistake.

2) The beauty of paint work is that no matter how badly you screw up, sandpaper and steel wool can take you back to bare metal after a few days of drying time. There's always a second chance, just don't rush it by trying to sand off soft paint that will clog the paper Muy Pronto. If you're not in the habit of making the last pre-paint prep step a wipedown with a lint free cloth dampened with mineral spirits, give that a try. Best way I've found to degrease the surface and remove dust. Just be sure to allow 15 minutes or so for the spirits to dry.

3) Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............... Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Ooops!

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 02:09:08 PM »

The paint job came out perfect. It is Rustoleum Hammered Green. I am just not sure of the color. I used automotive etching primer on metal, then a filling primer on scratches, when a sanding with 400 and 1000 grit. Then I always wipe with mineral spirits.

Oh the pain !
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:16:09 PM by N4NYY » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »

The color looks fine............. If you're Gay.  Roll Eyes

What's up with the odd shaped beige chunks on the front of the base? Camera thing? Looks exactly like the paint is chipped.............. ?

BTW: The chrome looks perfect!

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 02:23:11 PM »

What's up with the odd shaped beige chunks on the front of the base? Camera thing? Looks exactly like the paint is chipped.............. ?

Nope. Just flash or light reflection. I think I may need to do an outdoor shot. The hammered paint itself came out stupendous. It actually looks hammered. What I found is that that hammered paint does not need prep work that I did, because it is designed cover up blemishes. They have numerous colors, including a beautiful blue color. I was looking for a vintage green. I think it may not be vintage!
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »

What noise does a D104 make when you slam the PTT bar hard?
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »

I have no idea!
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 04:10:33 PM »

Well, let's see.... D104s have been called "chicken choker" mikes, so maybe squawk?

When I was very young, there were CBers who owned Browning Eagle sets which always seem to be attached to D104s. They would emit a loud ping when they were keyed up. I think that was a short feedback squeal as the receiver would not mute immediately upon pressing the PTT bar. Maybe the beginning of the "roger beep" fad!

Wink
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 06:46:14 PM »

The loud "ping" you heard when CBers of earlier days unkeyed their mics was probably intentionally engineered into the radio's mic circuitry.  If you remember the days of Apollo moon missions you may recall the characteristic 'ping"  that followed each transmission they made to earth control stations.   CBers frequently tried to imitate this with their CB operations.

Ed  K7AAT
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »

This is my first working D-104 and I have only had it a few weeks. I had 3 before, that were hand-me-downs. None worked. They either has a combo of bad elements or keyers. I guess that is why they were free. So I have no idea what they are supposed to sound like or what noise them make. The ones I hear on CB don't make any pinging noise.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 12:06:46 PM »

This is my first working D-104 and I have only had it a few weeks. I had 3 before, that were hand-me-downs. None worked. They either has a combo of bad elements or keyers. I guess that is why they were free. So I have no idea what they are supposed to sound like or what noise them make. The ones I hear on CB don't make any pinging noise.

The pinging was a characteristic of the Browning Golden Eagle. In it's day that was sort of the "rock star" CB radio (early 70's). My father had one and his friends would all come over to admire the radio. One day he was using the radio and a crackling sound, arcs and sparks and purple smoke came out of the case. (I thought it was cool; sort of reminded me of Jimi Hendrix, Purple Haze and Deep Purple, "Smoke on the Water"). After that he earned his novice ticket and moved to ham radio so he could talk to people further away than 5-10 miles.

I had a Midland CB in my car in the late 70's, early 80's with the much famed K-40 magnetic mount antenna. It was useful when traveling in a convoy of camping friends and we would just chit-chat on it. That was my first exposure to "Rodger Beep", I guess that has taken off into an entire array of weird sounding CB noises.

The last time I have heard the little noises were with public safety equipment where we had ANI bursts or repeater beeps.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »

I have two D-104 mikes both with the amplified base. I have one on display on my fireplace mantel in a display case (really cool looking). The other is in use on my Yaesu FT-450AT transceiver. Both mikes are restored to original working condition and looks. The one I use on the air has received nothing but excellent audio reports on SSB and FM. These mikes as far as I am concerned were they best mikes ever produced, super rugged, fantastic sounding for speech. fantastic looks and real longevity (mine are more then 50 years old). As far as I know I have never heard anyone comment or complain about clicks or noise when keying the mike. The keying bar is very smooth and silent in operation.

The Browning Golden Eagle (the Cadillac of the CB world in looks and price) had that ping Incorporated in the transmitter (it had a separate transmitter and receiver). I believe the ping could be turned off if desired, but most users left it on to brag that they had the best. Some tech types put the ping in less expensive CB radios to try to imitate the Browing, which really was an excellent CB radio system for its day.

If anyone is interested you can catch a glimpse of a D-104 mike on the Sci-Fi show Warehouse 13. Look at the desk in the warehouse office. It shows up once in a while, but only for a few seconds at a time and not on all shows.

73s

K2OWK
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 01:49:56 PM »

K2OWK

Come to think of it, I should have use the bad mics to make a lamp. Oh well.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »

The ping was caused by the short delay between the keying of the mic and the muting of the separate  receiver.  They were a beautiful radio, and sounded nice too.  I have a couple or 3 D 104's here somewhere, but never use them.  I either use a headset with built in microphone   for contesting, or for day to day use I have  boom mic's mounted to all of my different  hf rigs, and with most of them having VOX, it works well, and keeps the desk clear.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 06:16:37 PM »

I have no idea!

I was setting up a line for AC5UP, but he must not be too fast today. He's still thinking of the rainbow colors I guess.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: