Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I did a bad thing  (Read 7216 times)
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 01:03:25 AM »

My favorite microphone for my boat anchor station is the D-104.  I saw a VERY ROUGH looking D-104 on ebay for auction.  It had NO PTT at all, nothing on the base or the handle.  It was rusty and pitted and the base paint was cracking and peeling.  It had two wires and no "impedance matching amplifier" in the base.

I was hoping the crystal element was an original, not a ceramic or kobitone replacement.  I bid 15 bucks and won it.  I was rewarded with a great sounding original crystal element.  I looked up some D-104 restoration sites and decided diet Pepsi was just the perfect thing to take all the pitts and rust out.  Diet so it had no sugar.  Phosphoric acid works magic on chrome.  Some elbow grease, paper towels and diet Pepsi did a great job.  Mother's Mag and Chrome polish finished it up.  Sanding and repainting the base with Krylon hammertone grey made this microphone better than new!

I love this D-104 and with the audio mods in my Johnson Viking II (replacement driver transformer and a Valiant modulation transformer, some changes in the interstage capacitor values etc...) I often get "WOW! GREAT AUDIO OLD MAN!  Someone must have modified that rig!"

Look for me on 10 meter AM around 29.000 to 29.100 if you wanna hear it!  10 meter AM has been ROCKING!

73 John KX5JT

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:05:21 AM by KX5JT » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 05:24:13 AM »

The color is.....well, different.  Bet you know why the original color was a grey shade, don't you.  But, the mic looks OK, and for one thing, the color will make IDing it easy.  Nice looking job!
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 06:42:26 AM »

...during Field Day he can tell people he's in Emerald City, then ask if they'd like to talk to Dorothy.

Tongue

Never change a password on a Friday                
KB9TMP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »

<snip>
The Browning Golden Eagle (the Cadillac of the CB world in looks and price) had that ping Incorporated in the transmitter (it had a separate transmitter and receiver). I believe the ping could be turned off if desired, but most users left it on to brag that they had the best. Some tech types put the ping in less expensive CB radios to try to imitate the Browing, which really was an excellent CB radio system for its day.
<snip>
73s

K2OWK

We used to imitate that ping using a D104 mic by putting a large fish hook on the back side of the mic head on the bottom screw and clip it off and bend it to where the side lever would just catch it when you keyed the mic. (like a music box works) The vibration on the head would make a sound very much like a Browning Golden Eagle
73 de KB9TMP
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »

That Browning ping was very distinctive, to this day I can recall the particular resonance. I remember that even when he worked his was up to a general ticket he kept that D-104 attached to his Heathkit HW-101.

I think the hammertone green color is cool looking.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 11:52:22 AM »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!

That explains it.... Vinnie has a secret plan to acquire a HazWaste-101 and that's why the Dog-104 was painted hammertone green.

It all makes sense to me now...............................

BTW: Vinnie might be out of pocket next week. I have a hunch he'll be westbound and down on I-70 rolling toward Indianapolis to pick something up.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8915869

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 12:40:21 PM »

I may have to do a radio like that one day. The biggest problem I have is that I do not have the equipment for it. I do everything by hand. Strip, sand, paint, etc. I also have to paint outside, which means I am limited to about March thru Nov.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »

If you remember the days of Apollo moon missions you may recall the characteristic 'ping"  that followed each transmission they made to earth control stations.
"Quindar tones".

Tim.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 07:17:43 AM »

Yo........ Vinnie........ Here's what you need: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8937385

The tubes chosen for individual pics are TV tubes / compactrons which have no value to an AA5 expert like yourself, but, if you look at the thumbnail toward the upper right showing green & black Sylvania boxes... Those are old tubes. Like 40's vintage 8-pin Octals.

And while you're looking, here's something else you can't have: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8908168
(the Emerson is going to sell high and you can see why)

MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 07:25:03 AM »

The color looks fine............. If you're Gay.  Roll Eyes

Not cool....joking or not, not cool. No place on this website for this kind of garbage.
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 07:32:28 AM »

There was another mike head for the D-104 made for SSB rigs. I have one as well as the round head. The SSB head was a  model 10 DA as I recall made by Astatic.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 09:07:50 AM »

In terms of Bad Things: I think a cherry red D-104 would be way cool.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 09:43:46 AM »

I'll bet that mic would look pretty sharp with a heathkit!
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 01:18:33 PM »

This is what life was like before Heathshkit: http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Kofferradio.jpg

(is that a B battery in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?)

MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »

(is that a B battery in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?)

again, inappropriate.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: