Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL Cards  (Read 2359 times)
W0DV

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2012, 04:41:16 PM »

Kiss
Hi Everyone.
I enjoy making my own QSL cards, have done so for a couple of years. I usually print 3 at a time on a 8.5 X 11 shhet of card stock, photopaper, etc.  I'm trying to save some work by finding card stock or phtopaper that is 3.5" X 5.5 in, the standard QSL size. I have found perforated paper, but I would rather have individual cards that are 3.5 X 5.5. Anyone know of a resource?

Thanks,

Dave
W0DV
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »

Try a local print shop. They often have supplies of card stock, and can cut it to whatever reasonable size and color you want.

I, too, make my QSL cards. I like "full bleed," which is color all the way to the edge of the card, so I have to use the three cards to one sheet, like you do. If your cards have a border, and your printer can handle the smaller sizes of card stock, then you've got it made. GL
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:47:45 PM »

Kiss
Hi Everyone.
I enjoy making my own QSL cards, have done so for a couple of years. I usually print 3 at a time on a 8.5 X 11 shhet of card stock, photopaper, etc.  I'm trying to save some work by finding card stock or phtopaper that is 3.5" X 5.5 in, the standard QSL size. I have found perforated paper, but I would rather have individual cards that are 3.5 X 5.5. Anyone know of a resource?

Thanks,

Dave
W0DV

Only place I ever heard of is W7NN's website where he sells cardstock in his QSLKit product. Goto http://www.hamstuff.com/QslKitPage/qslkit.html and take a look. I have used these before I decide to quit wasting my time, expensive ink and paper trying to be a 'publisher' since I use lots of QSL cards. The stock is good quality but I really didn't like the fact that it is only available in a light tan tinted color, no white or off white colors - at least I never saw any.

I know you've probably been told to just go get you some cards printed commercially. I won't tell someone to do that but I will recommend that if you do decide to get commerically printed cards, be sure and check out Gennady's work at UX5UOQSLS.COM. I now use Gennady exclusively and recommend his work to everyone who asks about my cards. You can't go wrong by at least looking at his offerings.

Good Luck

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I like the personal touch of making my own cards. The HP printer I am currently using has a separate tray for printing cards, postcards, photo's, etc.  Trying to find 3.5 X 5.5 cards is impossible unless you get them on perforated sheets of 3. I've been to office max, office depot, best buy, but haven't tried a local print shop yet. I'll have to look into this. Ideally I just want a supply of these cards so I can just print 1 card at a time instead of printing 3 on a full sized sheet. I even called HP direct, no luck there either. I like the print shop idea.

Thanks,

Dave
KB7QOA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »

I prefer to hand-fill my cards anyway, so I just print 20 at a time on a color laser, 4 to a sheet (a standard 8.5x11 sheet holds 4 with 1.5" to spare on the long borders) with a 1/4" margin on every card.  I then cut them out using a guillotine cutter at work on my lunch break, or I use an Xacto knife and a metal straight edge if I need a couple of them at home before I can cut the batch.  They look great, they don't have a fuzzy edge like the pre-perforated cards have, and I can change them on a whim.

I do intend to finalize a design and get a large batch done from a commercial printer, but I don't want to do so until I move to a permanent address.  I'd rather hassle with doing them myself for a while longer than throw a bunch out due to an old address.

73 de KB7QOA

Jeremy
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »

I prefer to hand-fill my cards anyway, so I just print 20 at a time on a color laser, 4 to a sheet (a standard 8.5x11 sheet holds 4 with 1.5" to spare on the long borders) with a 1/4" margin on every card.  I then cut them out using a guillotine cutter at work on my lunch break, or I use an Xacto knife and a metal straight edge if I need a couple of them at home before I can cut the batch.  They look great, they don't have a fuzzy edge like the pre-perforated cards have, and I can change them on a whim.

I do intend to finalize a design and get a large batch done from a commercial printer, but I don't want to do so until I move to a permanent address.  I'd rather hassle with doing them myself for a while longer than throw a bunch out due to an old address.

73 de KB7QOA

Jeremy

I have been cutting mine in a similar way, a ruler and a box cutter, works well.  It's not that I have to have the 3.5 X5.5 cards precut, it's more for convenience. Would be nice to have a stack of them so there would be no more cutting.'
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »

I second going to a print shop and having
the card stock cut to size on a power shear.
It'll take a few minutes but save a a lot of work.
The print shop guys do this all day long,
it's a no brainer job for them.

And no perforations, no 'slightly wrong sized card"
that messes up the whole feed following it, etc.
And it's cheap!(The cutting, don't know what stock you use).

Life is short.
Spend more time designing your cool custom cards!
Just my $.02.
73, Ken  AD6KA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: