Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Panavise 702 Porta Grip?  (Read 901 times)
KE7PMY

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:12 AM »

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 that I need to safely mount TM-V71A in.  I'll install the radio under the passenger side of the rear bench seat.  I'll probably a Panavise In Dash Mount, but I need to fasten the detachable face plate to the mount somehow.  I was thinking of the # 702 Porta Grip.  http://panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=172.  Has anybody had any experience with these?  Obviously I would need to rotate it 90 degrees.

This radio bounces back and forth between the above mentioned truck and my 1997 Honda Accord commuter car, with the majority of it's use in the car.  My truck only gets used on the weekends, and maybe only one or two a month.

Thanks.

Roy
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:07:19 AM »

Roy,
How about one of these;
http://panavise.com/pdf_indash/75105-506.pdf
And then screw the face plate to the mount form the back.

I'm never owned a Dodge like yours, but I used one of these on my last car with good success.

Bernie
KE7PMY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »

Roy,
How about one of these;
http://panavise.com/pdf_indash/75105-506.pdf
And then screw the face plate to the mount form the back.

I'm never owned a Dodge like yours, but I used one of these on my last car with good success.

Bernie

That mount is what I have in mind, but it would be this one...  http://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75106-194.pdf. I mentioned in the original post I was planning on using an In Dash Mount.

Screwing the faceplate to the mount sure sounds like a permanent installation, don't you think? What would you suggest I use? There aren't any spots on the back of the face plate to screw in to. So, should I just use grabber screws or self tapping screws? Obviously short enough so they don't thread all the way into the electronics. I'm just kidding around with you. What part of my original post led you to believe that I wasn't going to move this radio back and forth between two vehicles? Wink  This is why I'm asking about the 702 which is a QD type mount, and I plan on fastening it to the In Dash Mount.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:57:24 AM by KE7PMY » Logged
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »

"Screwing the faceplate to the mount sure sounds like a permanent installation, don't you think?"
I don't know where you live, but here in NY we have screw drivers that work in two directions. They both install and remove screws. Maybe you can order one from here if they don't have them in your area.

"What would you suggest I use?"
Look on page 91 of your TM-V71 manual and you will find a part they call the panel bracket that connects to the panel holder. The panel bracket convienently has slotted mounting hole that are open on one end. If you use the fancy bi directional screw driver available in the big city, you could loosen the screw and slip the panel bracket off the Panavise mount.

This way you have a safe and secure mount in the truck, even though it's not used much, and it's easy to remove. The only downside is you will have to order one of those fancy bi directional screwdrivers. Hopefully the hardware stores in your area have screws, nuts, and washers of similar sizes that will work in this application.

Bernie
KE7PMY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:21:35 PM »

"Screwing the faceplate to the mount sure sounds like a permanent installation, don't you think?"
I don't know where you live, but here in NY we have screw drivers that work in two directions. They both install and remove screws. Maybe you can order one from here if they don't have them in your area.

"What would you suggest I use?"
Look on page 91 of your TM-V71 manual and you will find a part they call the panel bracket that connects to the panel holder. The panel bracket convienently has slotted mounting hole that are open on one end. If you use the fancy bi directional screw driver available in the big city, you could loosen the screw and slip the panel bracket off the Panavise mount.

This way you have a safe and secure mount in the truck, even though it's not used much, and it's easy to remove. The only downside is you will have to order one of those fancy bi directional screwdrivers. Hopefully the hardware stores in your area have screws, nuts, and washers of similar sizes that will work in this application.

Bernie

Ok, ok.  I thought I was the only one allowed to be sarcastic.  Geez, at least I gave you one of those winky things. Wink

I think using the panel bracket is a great idea, but I don't think the plastic piece the face plate attaches to is available separately.  You have to buy the entire $50 DFK-3D kit.  If they were available separately and at a reasonable price, I'd buy two and have one for each vehicle.  Until I can find them, I'm looking for another solution...something I am hoping the # 702 Porta Grip will be.

Roy
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »

hi,

Ram mounts may have a mount that will work for you

http://www.ram-mount.com/hamradio.htm

73 james
KE7PMY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 06:31:02 PM »

Good call.  I was checking this one out earlier.  http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045085078049085/Default.aspx.  I think it would work great when turned 90 degrees.  Now I just need to decide on whether I'm going floor mount or Panavise dash panel mount.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: