Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TH-D7A Blown Final. Worth Fixing?  (Read 3847 times)
KJ4KLM

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »

Someone gave me a TH-D7a yesterday.  The antenna needs replacing, but in addition they told me that the VHF Band A final is blown.  I haven't tested it yet, but assuming this is the problem, does anyone know what repair cost might be for this?  I am trying to determine if this is worth fixing.

Lee
KJ4KLM
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 06:28:30 PM »

The final itself is $42.60 from Kenwood. Figure from there.

Clif
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:18:57 AM »

Don't forget to figure in the possibility of damage/strain to components in the final stage.  Sometimes replacing just the blown finals will bring the rig back to life, but sometimes that won't, and just results in blowing the new finals.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 06:30:56 AM »

Is that a 5W final? Why so expensive?

If that is the case, I would nuke it.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »

Can you build one for that?
KJ4KLM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 11:33:38 AM »

Is that a 5W final? Why so expensive?

If that is the case, I would nuke it.

Actually I think that is a 6W final per the docs on the unit.

Lee
KJ4KLM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 11:44:31 AM »

Don't forget to figure in the possibility of damage/strain to components in the final stage.  Sometimes replacing just the blown finals will bring the rig back to life, but sometimes that won't, and just results in blowing the new finals.

Yes that is my worry.  The Kenwood service center tells me they charge $75/hr. labor.  Plus parts and shipping. With the mentioned price of the Final and any other parts they find which might be bad. this could easily get to $150 in no time.. I can buy one of these old guys used for that much.  Unless anyone has any other ideas, I am thinking of sending the unit to the service center just to get an estimate.  If it is over 100 I will just tell them to ship it back and I will have a backup UHF HT for emergencies.

Lee
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 12:44:56 PM »

Lee. Sell it as Parts/Repair on ebay, and put the money toward a new one. You are likely looking at a $200 repair, when you factor labor and parts.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 01:09:16 PM »

...or you could stop right where you are and think: " Hey, how cool is this? Just got a free scanning receiver to listen to NOAA and the local repeaters...! "

I'm assuming the radio has wideband receive. If not, paint it hammertone green and give it to...............................

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »

...or you could stop right where you are and think: " Hey, how cool is this? Just got a free scanning receiver to listen to NOAA and the local repeaters...! "

I'm assuming the radio has wideband receive. If not, paint it hammertone green and give it to...............................

My FT-60 has weather, and it has no mods. The green hammertone is a good idea, though.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 03:14:06 PM »

Actually the data sheet shows 20mw in, 12vdc, and just over 16w out.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 03:19:25 PM »

16W ? You are kidding, right? That battery must last 2 minutes.
KJ4KLM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »

Lee. Sell it as Parts/Repair on ebay, and put the money toward a new one. You are likely looking at a $200 repair, when you factor labor and parts.

N4NNY What do you think it is worth selling it for parts? it has three batteries and the Charger and a Prime speaker mike.

I do like the idea of just using it as a scanning receiver, though.

Lee
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 04:38:29 PM »

Lee,

If you want to use it as a receiver and it receives well, I like that idea, too. I only suggested selling it for parts if you have a repair cost of like $150-200. Otherwise, keep it.

You may be able to sell the batteries and mic, though. Keep enough batteries to use one while another is charging. My FT-60 came in useful as a receiver during Hurricane Irene. Tornado warnings and all !
VE2DC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 05:55:10 AM »

Its definitely worth fixing, but not by a third party. I'm sure someone who is handy with a soldering iron will take it off your hands. I doubt the total for the repair would be over $75 parts, but it's the labor that's expensive. Don't throw it in the recycling bin yet ;-)
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: