Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICS-213 vs. Radiogram  (Read 5364 times)
W0TLP

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »

I'm curious as to what form ARES or other emergency communications groups are using for message handling.

ICS-213 or the ARRL Radiogram.

If it's the ICS-213, is it the original FEMA version or the modified "ARES" version, which is essentially the Radiogram that looks like an ICS-213.

Finally, if using the ICS-213, are you using the ARL numbers? It seems to me that the ARL numbers would defeat the principal that plain English is supposed to be used, although they do add brevity to the messages.

Thanks

Teak
KD0KVV
AI8P

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »

Hi,

Here in Ohio,  the county EMA makes these decisions, or the individual Served Agencies.   

We have been mandated the ICS-213 form - we use the modified ARES version.

ARL messages are not used (plain language).

Your mileage may vary.

Dennis
W0TLP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:26:57 AM »

Thanks, Dennis.

Since ARES and similar groups are trying serve agencies that are required to adopt the ICS, perhaps it's time for ARES and other to drop the Radiogram and just go with the ICS-213, even if it's in the Radiogram form.  Even if not being used for such an agency the ICS-213 will work.

Just a thought.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:00:44 PM »

We generally use the ICS-213, particularly for digital traffic.  That's what most of our supported
agencies are using, and expect to receive, so we usually don't include the old Radiogram form
in our supplies.

It doesn't always work smoothly, of course, since there are several variants of the ICS-213 in
use within the county.  For example, one of the hospitals has added fields to their form, such
as "reply requested" and "priority".  We now know to include such information in the text of
the message or it will get lost when the message is copied into a form at the other end.

Since nearly everyone is used to typing their own email messages these days, we now carry
USB thumb drives to transfer messages from their computers to our digital stations so we
don't have to retype the message to send it.  Saves work and improves accuracy.
AI8P

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:27:52 AM »

The thumb drive is a good idea.

We are concentrating on the NBEMS system, so I'd have to say we are using the ICS-213 that comes in flmsg software.   

Incidently, 2 points about flmsg
1.  They recently added a form for the Red Cross Safe & Well website - I was very glad to see that
2.  flmsg is great software to edit, save, and print  your messages - even if you are sending radiograms using voice, it's still a good idea to enter the message into flmsg and save/print it from there.  It will even let you determine the proper handling instructions and has a list of ARL messages if you want to use them.
KB3LNM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 04:03:53 AM »

In Maryland we use the message form dictated by the agency we are serving.  For the government this is the ICS-213.  The ICS-213 as you well know is not interchangeable with the ARRL NTS radiogram form and national nets.  We have been told that ICS-213 messages should be passed as NTSD attachements, encapsulated in a NTS radiogram, or the NTS net control can direct stations off frequency for direct transfer where this is feasible.  Check with a ARRL NTS representative for a more formal answer.

Joe Tracey
KB3LNM
K4YZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 04:01:18 PM »

The Tennessee State Guard has recently taken a big communication's support role for TEMA.  In order to cut down on the extraneous paperwork, all I did (for 4th Regiment purposes, anyway) was to make a copy of ICS-213 with the ARRL header typed into the top line of each block...If we need it, fine, if not, just ignore it.

Steve Robeson, K4YZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: