Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Sweep Stakes /SS  (Read 6835 times)
KA7RRA

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:00:35 PM »

I'm going to enter in the Sweep Stakes contest this weekend   little confused on the exchange, but my call, the year I was license  ( 1983 ) a serial number and precedence 

So if I'm running a 100 watts then I think my precedence  is class B  I think thats all I need   so is precedence   the class you are in?
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 03:03:18 AM »

Hi, For 100w you would be precedent A. If you are answering someone's CQ, you do do this:

CQ SS SS K3TN SS

K3TN KA7RRA

KA7RRA thanks. You're 123 Bravo, K3TN, 69 Maryland DC

QSL, Your'e 95 Alpha, KA7RRA, 95 Western Washington

Thanks, CQ SS K3TN...

Here's a link to the ARRL operating guide: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Contest-Operating-Guides/2011/2011-SS-OpGuide.pdf

And here is a link to the Sweepstakes section in the Contesting Wiki  which has a lot of good hints and tips:

http://wiki.contesting.com/index.php/ARRL_Sweepstakes

I'll be on this weekend in SSB SS, will look for you!

73, John K3TN

John K3TN
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »

There are five elements of info that you exchange with the other station, in the following order.

1. Serial number. Your first contact is "number one" of course. Your one-hundred and second contact is "number one zero two."

2. Precedence. With 100 Watts your precedence is A. Other letters you may hear are B, M, Q, S and U. They're always spoken phonetically, such as "Alpha" or "United."

3. Your callsign.

4. The check. A 2-digit number representing the year you got your first ham license. If that was 2003 for example, say "zero-three" or "check zero-three."

5. Your ARRL section. Most ops speak the section name, such as "Santa Clara Valley" or "Eastern Massachusetts." You'll need to have a list of section abbreviations handy to know that's SCV or EMA. After the first year you'll know them all by heart.

The other station will probably be speaking his exchange pretty rapidly. If you miss an element, be sure to ask for it again, for example, "I need your check."

The first time you try this you'll probably get "wrapped around the axle" pretty quickly. But stick with it and soon you'll be working 20 or more contacts an hour. The big gun (loud) stations are begging for contacts by Sunday afternoon and you can work them easily. Set a modest goal and then each year try to improve on it. In Dilbert-speak, those subsequent goals should be "stretch" goals.

I look forward to working you as well. Good luck and have fun!
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »

A couple more things.

You can work each station only once in the contest, NOT once per band. And there are a couple of section abbreviation "gotcha's" to be aware of. Los Angeles is LAX because Louisiana is LA. And San Diego is SDG because South Dakota is SD.
KL2NW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 12:06:51 AM »

I'll be new to Sweepstakes this year as well. What exactly is the "check"? Somebody in my club said you actually need to say the word "check" in your serial number. Is that true? What does that do? Thanks.
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:14 AM »

I think check is the year you got you license I got mine in 1983
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:41:14 AM »

Yes, on last two numbers of the year you got your license.  No, you don't have to actually say the word "check" though you certainly may.
N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 12:48:30 PM »

You'll find some stations say "check" and then the digits and others will just say the digits after their call.  Do as it seems comfortable for you.  Brevity demands that one not say more than necessary but include all the elements.  If someone decides to shortcut the exchange by not saying their  call, make sure that they repeat it until they get the exchange right!  The callsign is required as part of the complete exchange.

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 09:05:52 AM »

I'll be new to Sweepstakes this year as well. What exactly is the "check"? Somebody in my club said you actually need to say the word "check" in your serial number. Is that true? What does that do? Thanks.

Sweeps exchange has both a serial number and a check. Confusing them would be bad. Saying "check" in your serial number is about the best way to ensure a busted exchange that I can think of.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »

This will be my first Sweepstakes as well. I'm going to be using spotting assistance and running 50 watts so I'm thinking I will be Single Op unlimited, I was first licensed in 1978 and my QTH is in Georgia.
If I have this correct my exchange on my first QSO would go something like this....
You're 001, United, W4HIJ, 78, Georgia or possibly "Golf Alpha" for Georgia
Sound right?
Tnx and 73,
Michael, W4HIJ
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:47:44 PM by W4HIJ » Logged
N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 05:35:59 AM »

You're correct, Michael.  Just remember that as an Unlimited station there is now a split into low and high power classifications.  It doesn't change your precedence, just be sure to note the correct power level in your Cabrillo log file.

Hope you enjoy the fray.  Smiley

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 07:37:15 AM »

Tnx for the affirmation. Yes, hope to have a bit of fun today. I operate almost all the HF contest in a casual fashion. Not in them to win anything, just to work on chasing paper.
 For some reason though, I've never tried a sweepstakes. That exchange is going to take some getting used to compared to the standard  "Thank you, 59 01 Georgia"
See you all in the contest,
Michael, W4HIJ
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »

Taking a little break.... YEESH! that exchange is a mouthful and it's a mess to type in received info into N1MM. Having fun but the exchange is a bit unnerving!
Michael, W4HIJ
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 07:53:16 PM »

It's a wordy, silly exchange.
Why not add your license plate number, too?
Ken  AD6KA
W6UX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 11:47:02 PM »

First time for me too!  Worked 69 sections tonight (about 140 Qs) and hit the wall...it's all dupes for me right now on 40 so time for bed.  It took me about 4 hours to finally get smooth at speaking the exchange.  Kept tripping up on remembering to include my call.  So I recorded a macro, but that just felt weird using it.

Anyone know the answer as to why the contest organizers decided to include your own call sign as part of the exchange?

Well at least I don't have to speak batches of QTCs! hi hi

-Jeff
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: