Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pwr 2.5 Watts  (Read 729 times)
G0ILN

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2003, 03:24:45 PM »

Hi All,

I have recently bought an FT817 . I am used to 5 watts output when in QRP mode but using the internal batteries on the FT 817 the output is 2.5 Watts. How do I send the point.I got stumped on the first qso and ended up sending.2R5 Watts but I am not sure if this is correct.

Many thanks for your help.

Richard

I should know the answer but to my shame I don't.
VK4JAZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 10:13:51 PM »

Richard,
Try di-dah-di-dah-di-dah

That should do it.

Grant
VK4JAZ
K5CEY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 02:29:35 AM »

Richard,
   Being used to military nomenclature, I think that 2R5 is an excellent way to express your transmit power in watts.
   By the same token, if I refered to a specific frequency such as 7.025 Mhz, I would gladly accept 7R025 Mhz.
   Or the value of a resistor. Like 50.1 Ohms: 50R1 sounds good to me.
               John  K5CEY
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 08:48:03 AM »

I think most CW ops would understand 2r5 just fine.  Hams who use 80m CW regularly (my favorite band) call it 3r5 MHz.

73 & happy operating,

Chuck  NI0C
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 01:48:42 PM »

I agree, a "decimal point" in CW is an R.  Been using that my whole life, everyone understands it.
G0ILN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 06:18:06 PM »

Hi,
Thanks to all who replied to this topic may be subconsiously I knew that "R" could be used as the decimal point but I had never had need to use it.
I had looked up several books on CW.Even the "Post office handbook for Radio operators" does not show a symbol for the decimal point.

Richard G0ILN.
N0XE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 12:12:39 PM »

For expereiced CW ops that is great, but you need to be careful with new Ops to the mode, some get confused with abreviations  and symbols, If the ham you are in qso with is pretty new to CW, I would just keep it at whole numbers. Just say running a little over 2 watts would be better
73 N0XE
K5CEY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 09:50:04 PM »

Or you could just say, "running abt 2 watts".
   Every day you hear someone say, "running abt 100 watts".
   Of course, at QRP levels, a mere half a watt means a lot.
             John  K5CEY
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 10:01:02 PM »

I would simply use the period myself as in written form, the decimal and period are the same. Of course you might want to be careful when working foreign ops.  In some countries in their numbers, they use a comma where we use a period and vice versa.  Usually you can figure it out from overall context.
K5CEY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 10:27:44 PM »

An exact, but possibly confusing approach would be to announce that you are running 2500 Milliwatts.

And I just happened to think: Wonder why they didn't use the letter "e" for a decimal point? That would be a simple dot.

John  K5CEY
M3GKA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2003, 07:14:23 AM »

You'll find a full list of morse characters at
http://www.ac6v.com/morseaids.htm

You'll notice that the period is .-.-.-
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 09:01:19 AM »

Because decimal points are not indicated universally in other parts of the globe as they are here--as was pointed out previously--the use of .-. for decimal point is the better choice.  That's what I was taught in Novice class.  It's more consistent and less cumbersome than switching between .-.-.- and --..-- according to the other sta's QTH.

Steve  
SMHAM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 10:05:52 PM »

Well, in the Scandinavian countries, and probably in most of Europe, we use decimal comma, not decimal point.

Since the very beginning of morse code we have sent it as 2,5 W and we still do. Decimal point is as strange to us as the metric system is to you ;-)

2R5 will certainly confuse us a lot, don´t use it when
communicating with non anglo-saxon stations!

The 2R5 format is only used for resistor values here,
2.5 Ohm that is, or 2,5 Ohm as we write it.

Just be careful and don´t take for granted that a non-universal abbreviation will be understood. GA GN UFB etc are universal but when it comes to writing figures and measurement nothing is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: