The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamond CR320ANMO Tri-bander died.  (Read 3629 times)
W7BDB

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »

Has anybody had any issues with this antenna?  I replace a dual band antenna with this one about 9 mos ago and up until a week ago its been fine.  Buddies said my signal was weak and broken so I put a meter on it and found SWR at 4:1.  Put back on the Comet dual band and a flat 1:1.  I've looked the antenna over and can't find any sign of damage, at least externally.  I wrote Diamond but haven't heard back, they mentioned on their site they don't do tech over email, but my time is limited to place calls during their business hours.  I did notice their products no longer list the CR320A, its replaced with a CR320B model so that begs the question if the "A" model had issues.  Anybody else have any problems?  Thanks for any advice
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 11:52:41 PM »

This is a stone simple problem.  Take it apart until you find what is broken.   You may need your VOM to check continuity.

I don't think your are going to get service bulletins or websites dedicated to repairing and maintaining this antenna.  Smiley

Good luck.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »

I've had the coils open up and yield similar symptoms. Tested by VOM. I didn't find anyplace that sold replacements (I didn't look too hard, either). Unless the part was dirt cheap, including shipping, it's probably better just to replace the whole antenna.
W7BDB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 08:16:51 PM »

Yep, planned on tearing it apart to see what has failed.  Didn't want to do it until I heard from Diamond, just in case there had been a problem and they were rectifying it with their customers.  Thanks, and yes I agree its not worth spending a bunch of time wrestling with Diamond for replacement.  But seriously an 80 buck mobile antenna should last more than 9 months especially when its been taken care of and not driven through a low parking structure.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 07:20:33 PM »

This is why most experienced hams use the Larsen NMO270B - there's nothing much that can go wrong and they are pretty much indestructible. And it's made by a company that makes most of the mobile antennas used in the commercial/LMR world. Neither statement can be made of any of the Pacific Rim brands.

And they are cheaper than the Pacific Rim antennas, too. Smiley

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 08:17:14 AM »

I agree Lon. It is an unfortunate fact, that far too many folks play the Gain Game. The reason they do varies. I've been in amateur radio dealers, and actually heard counter folks tell perspective buyers that the Comet/Diamond/Midol antennas have more gain than the Larsen. They don't. What they do is, they leave off the suffix designation, so no one knows for sure.

I think the other reason is, today's amateurs have a anal-attentive—anti-drilling attitude that nothing short of an act of God could stifle. If they only knew!

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:11:16 PM »

Quote from: W3LK
And it's made by a company that makes most of the mobile antennas used in the commercial/LMR world. Neither statement can be made of any of the Pacific Rim brands.

Technically, of course, Larsen IS a "Pacific Rim" brand.  From the northeastern
part of the rim.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 08:36:37 PM »

I agree that the Larsen NMO270B is one of the best antennas around.  However, the OP was using a triband antenna.  I took a look at the Larsen catalog and can't find a triband antenna comparable to the Diamond CR320A.  I use the NMO270B for 2m/440 and a separate NM0220B for 1.25m and have never had a hint of a problem with either one.  If your installation will permit separate antennas, I think that will be your best long term solution.

Good Luck,
N5VTU
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »

I agree that the Larsen NMO270B is one of the best antennas around.  However, the OP was using a triband antenna.  I took a look at the Larsen catalog and can't find a triband antenna comparable to the Diamond CR320A.  I use the NMO270B for 2m/440 and a separate NM0220B for 1.25m and have never had a hint of a problem with either one.  If your installation will permit separate antennas, I think that will be your best long term solution.

Good Luck,
N5VTU

You are correct; I forgot about the 1.25m part.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »

One of the issues with multiband VHF/UHF antennas is the non-harmonic nature. While there is a relationship between 2 meters, and 70 centimeters, the 1.25 centimeters is sort of an orphan.

At least one company makes a single antenna which covers 10, 6, 2, and .70, to the detriment of them all! The truth is, if you're really into VHF operation, you certainly would not invest in just one antenna to cover them all. This is especially true if you're into VHF SSB operation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: