Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirate Radio  (Read 27821 times)
KM4FMK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »

With modern technology, it has become a lot easier to track down these transmissions... but at the same time easier for the pirates to bounce signals off of something specific, or keep it mobile, never transmitting from the same place for more than an hour or two (in North America). In Europe things are bad enough, it takes their governments a decade just to decide to go about how to catch someone, and by then they've moved on to something else.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 08:54:22 AM »

With modern technology, it has become a lot easier to track down these transmissions... but at the same time easier for the pirates to bounce signals off of something specific, or keep it mobile, never transmitting from the same place for more than an hour or two (in North America). In Europe things are bad enough, it takes their governments a decade just to decide to go about how to catch someone, and by then they've moved on to something else.

Follow the money...

There's very little of it in domestic shortwave.

Interfere with an ESPN affiliate on FM, however...  Tongue
N1NQC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »

Hey All,

I remember Lad VERY well, he was  quite the little potty mouth at the  time. At times  he also used to identify as The Baby Pirate.I didn't know that Johnny Arthur (the guy who ran the Wellsville mail box) actually DROPPED him .

I used to "stand  watch" on the old  pirate frequencies (7415 , etc) for many hours   at a time and I logged MANY over time.Lots  of fun.

Quite a few  pirates  still on AM and FM  here  in Boston.

A "friend  of mine" used to operate WBZA.I think "he" is well now well  past the "statute  of limitations".

K
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 01:37:23 AM »

I was just messing around last night ~0100z, and tuned by 6975 and heard "X-FM", S9+20.  They played an Alice in Chains song, had a pro-sounding DJ ("Music to the power of X") and signal, then just quickly disappeared.  Maybe the feds were moving in?

That's the best modulated pirate I've ever heard!

KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 07:55:07 AM »

I like the idea that pirate radio stations still have the potential to excite an audience.  When you listen to all the international propaganda stations, the religious stations, etc.  Isn't it refreshing to hear some amateur operation putting out their own crap?  All the power to pirate radio stations! they engage the imagination of radio enthusiasts everywhere as a true alternative to the junk that pollutes the airwaves today.  I would certainly like to hear pirates overpowering CRI and other international broadcasters but with 50 to 100 megawatt signals that is unlikely to happen. 
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 06:33:22 PM »

I like the idea that pirate radio stations still have the potential to excite an audience.  When you listen to all the international propaganda stations, the religious stations, etc.  Isn't it refreshing to hear some amateur operation putting out their own crap?  All the power to pirate radio stations! they engage the imagination of radio enthusiasts everywhere as a true alternative to the junk that pollutes the airwaves today.  I would certainly like to hear pirates overpowering CRI and other international broadcasters but with 50 to 100 megawatt signals that is unlikely to happen. 

The subversive in me agrees, although like McLuhan for me the media is generally the message.  I don't care about the content of pirate radio, but am fascinated by the fact that somebody somewhere is taking the risk with no upside other than the thrill of getting away with it.  Stuff like Radio Caroline back when, yea that content mattered and had purpose.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Today at 08:44:56 AM »

There is an easy to obtain LPFM license system in the UK.   The country is not drowning in commercial stations making just enough to  keep the lights on.   With a LPFM license you can be a legal pirate.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: