The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-R75 Rx is being discontinued  (Read 14074 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 08:54:20 AM »

" Very recent model, stand alone but SDR features as well"

But the costly receiver you're trying to sell is about 2% of what a modern SDR should be. It's highly portable with good battery life, but a $80-$160 Tecsun is too.     

I'm sure some affluent SWLs will buy the brand new ICOM IC-9300 transceiver just for its receiver which is truly a full featured "SDR in a Box" (and under 10 lbs). It boasts a 4.3" color TFT TOUCH SCREEN, 1 MHz bandscope, waterfall and audio scope. A tuner is built-in. Coverage is 30 KHz to 74 MHz. Specs rank the 9300 above most professional communications receivers of a few years ago. Incredibly, the 9300 is billed as an "Entry Level Radio." 

Will ICOM or one of the other majors bring out a receive-only "IC-9300" in a smaller, lighter package?
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 03:07:57 PM »

One thing to bear in mind is that the economy isn't terrific right now. I looked at the indicators on both US government websites that cover such stats and things are a bit flat.

Hence, the market for receivers may be influenced by the possibility that a lot of people are a bit tighter with their money than they were before the Recession hit.

If the economy were better, perhaps the receiver market would be a bit more robust.

Then again, maybe technology and HF's slowish decline may be a bigger factor.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 09:03:12 AM »

Like many of you I was an avid SWL prior to getting my ticket.  I have an old SX-110 that works like a champ but the issue is that English language stations beaming to North America have declined to the point that there just isn't anything worth listening to.  There used to be great excitement in SWLing during the cold war.  Those days are gone and I believe that SW radio has declined enough for me to place my Hallicrafters on the dead radio shelf for display in my personal museum.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 05:51:37 AM »

Is there any active ham these days who has used a panadaptor (bandscope) and would part with that feature?

One obvious benefit is to spot signals on bands with rare openings such as 10 or 6 meters. With the IC-7300, for example, you can see an entire 1 MHz of activity at a glance. On HF the bandscope is an essential tool for finding the subject of a pileup, or for locating callers when the DX station's frequency is known. During contests I tend to tune more with my eyes than my ears using my Flex-5000. And now with the IC-7300 these very useful features add almost nothing to cost.

"They seem to cater now for kids who know naff all about radio but they have a head full of / digital / computers / touch screens / mobile phone bells and whistles. "
Sorry you wasted $600 on the feature-less CR-1a and can't find anyone to buy it.
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 12:50:40 AM »

Is there any active ham these days who has used a panadaptor (bandscope) and would part with that feature?

Seems unlikely (maybe someone would give up a small built-in LCD panadapter but it's hard to imagine giving up an external panadapter on the type of displays normally used with computers).

One obvious benefit is to spot signals on bands with rare openings such as 10 or 6 meters. With the IC-7300, for example, you can see an entire 1 MHz of activity at a glance. On HF the bandscope is an essential tool for finding the subject of a pileup, or for locating callers when the DX station's frequency is known. During contests I tend to tune more with my eyes than my ears using my Flex-5000. And now with the IC-7300 these very useful features add almost nothing to cost.

On a SDRPlay with free HDSDR software you can see an entire 8 MHz Smiley of activity at a glance while tuning from 100 kHz to ~2 GHz.
Of course, unlike the IC-7300 and Flex-5000 you can only receive not transmit but for $150 it's still a pretty good deal.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:53:29 AM by HAMSTUDY » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: