The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Using Web-Based Receivers for Their SWL'ing?  (Read 1052 times)
N4OI

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2017, 03:44:54 AM »

I recently discovered some really good Web-based SDR receivers located around the world.  I tinkered with some Internet-controlled radios in the past, but the current SDR versions allow multiple users, respond quickly, and provide waterfall displays that cover broad swaths of the spectrum.  This technology is really an end run that sidesteps limitations of compromise antennas and poor equipment in the shack.   Just wondering how many are using Web-based radios for their daily listening? 

73   Grin
KC0EKQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »

I wouldn't say I use it daily, but at least every few days I visit

-- http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ --

University of Twente in the Netherlands. I bet you've already been there but just in case you hadn't, it is worth the visit and pretty user friendly with good, useful features.

That's just about the only one I use.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 02:37:32 PM »

I use the WB WebSDR @ Twente on weekends. I also joined Global Tuners for added FM broadcast and public safety VHF/UHF listening. WebSDR.org also has a wide selection of online listening choices.
 Some may consider it cheating, but I find it intriguing to use someone else's antenna on another part of the planet.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 05:33:15 PM »

[...] but I find it intriguing to use someone else's antenna on another part of the planet.

Yes, intriguing!  I sent out a CW CQ and heard myself from a Web-based receiver in Europe...   Very interesting to hear what the DX hears!

73   Grin
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »

Sometimes at work, but it's more a novelty than a regular thing.
KC0EKQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 01:08:47 AM »

[...] but I find it intriguing to use someone else's antenna on another part of the planet.

Yes, intriguing!  I sent out a CW CQ and heard myself from a Web-based receiver in Europe...   Very interesting to hear what the DX hears!

73   Grin

What a neat idea, haha! How cool!
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:28:54 AM »

No, I never have tried it. But I know of several MWDXers (on the BCBLogger) who use a few online SDRs semi-regularly, especially one located in Northern Ireland.

I also have heard hams who use remote transmitters and receivers, which I can see is probably a viable option for those who can't (for whatever reason) have good enough antennas, transceivers, etc. in their house or apartment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: