The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AIR BAND MONITORING  (Read 3011 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2016, 03:17:36 PM »

One day I was stepping through the VHF air band in 25 KHz steps on the PCR-100.  I paused for a moment on 121.5, VHF Emergency.  As I took care of a pressing matter, I heard about 10 or 12 words in a male voice and, asfter about 10 seconds, a four word reply.

I keyed 243.00 into the IC-R7000 and called up NorComm dispatch on the VX-7R.

I'm sitting there and waiting.  NOTHING!  He must be pretty far out.

Then it dawned on me:  With the prevailing winds that day, aircraft were coming into ORD on a 280 heading on 28/10!

YIKES!    THE PLANE MAY COME IN RIGHT OVER OUR HOUSE  AND WE'RE LESS THAN 1.5 MILES FROM 28/10!

It was nerve-wracking, sitting there and waiting for clarifying information. After about 10 minutes I finally decided it was a "test" transmission and there was no emergency.

Over the years, I've monitored fires, explosions, bomb scare, shootings, 10-1 calls, even a passenger jet retuning to oRD with a full load of passangers and one blown (goosed) engine.

But it's hard to remain calm and detached when an emergency may be heading right at you!

N9LCD 

KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:53:40 AM »

I think you need to harden your bunker with thicker walls.  Grin
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:30:09 PM »

You probably heard a AIR GUARD OR A SAR 243 MHZ call simply because 121.5 and 243 are not monitored anymore for distress purposes, they were phased a couple of years ago for most distress comms in favor of 406MHZ being used for distress.

These days 243MHz  is being used more and more for AIR GUARD and SEARCH and RESCUE purposes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: