Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDR Tech Future?  (Read 14555 times)
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 07:23:11 PM »

And check these two out. This is the best SDR interface design I've seen so far:

http://www.woodboxradio.com/uk/bobknob.html

http://www.woodboxradio.com/uk/bobcat.html

dave Smiley

First, make it work, then make it pretty.
Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

Moderate Spock: "Live for a reasonable amount of time and scrape by."
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 10:36:25 AM »

Woodbox has super cool stuff, and I agree the FX5000 is the way to go as I have played with the software on the computer itself and it's nice looking,

I suppose a really good home brewer could take the FX display and gut it along with gutting something like this, which is what I use for knobs and build a desktop box so to speak that would begin to represent my vision.  Ultimately Two displays would be great to show the PanAdaptor, but now we are talking about a fairly sizable piece of hardware.

This link shows the Hercules I use for knobs and the FX pad in a box lol.
http://www.hamradioscience.com/2011/07/flex-1500-and-the-hercules-dj-control-mp3-e2/
Click on the pic to enlarge.

I like the Hercules because I can sit back in my big chair and move the knobs close to me and the boom as well and talk and tune in comfort.  I am thinking of adding the FX5000 so it too can sit close to me and I can achieve an even greater level of comfort and laziness.

It's ok for the monitors that sit father back on the desk to display the Panadaptor output as you can see them well even leaning back in the chair.

One would loose that flexibility if it all goes in one box.

You can also use programs like CommCat to remotely control the radio from an iPad, I have that as well but haven't tried it yet.

Wood be super cool if wood box radio created an iPad app to run the FXpad software.

This is just One of the types of fun I have with this hobby, lots of fun playing around with interfaces.

NI0Z

N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »

I think in the future ,the computer, radio and software . Will be integrated into a single Ham transceiver. They will have options & accessories, like a mouse, Led monitor and so on. To see the first Ham radio of this type, go here  www.sdr-cube.com
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 05:22:12 PM »

Hardly the first, plenty of radios have been doing this for a while, usually DSP behind the first or second IF , with phasing method SSB via the DSP in the obvious fashion.
All the usual suspects have radios like that available.

Regards, Dan.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 06:31:29 PM »

http://www.hamradioscience.com/2011/05/woodboxradio-fxpad-for-powersdr/

WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 07:11:53 PM »

Or... In the near future you'll be able to buy a simple piece of hardware and run the transceiver from your computer - oh! It's getting closer.

dave Smiley

Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »

I thank software, hardware and Computer ,integrated into one SDRI transceiver, should lower the cost of Analog/Digital radios of the future?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:11:55 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »

It's already here.  It would be very difficult to build something like an IC7000 (size, number of modes, etc.) without doing a lot in software.  Granted, that particular example is not a lot of digital processing.. mostly conventional up/down convert, but the whole modulator/demodulator is done in software, and the software also plays a role in adjusting a lot of the other circuitry (at least judging from what's on the calibration menus in the service manual).

In the IC-7000 case, the software is not changeable, but that's more from a regulatory compliance standpoint than technical feasibility (e.g. just because they use a mask programmed DSP and OTP CPU doesn't mean it has to be.. there are equivalent reprogrammable versions available).  At the time that radio was being designed, the FCC was (and still is) a bit leery of software defined radios where the software that touches RF emissions is user changeable (anti-scanner rules and all that).

I think the FCC is a bit over-concerned here..Consider a radio like the Flex where the software is pretty wide open to modifications.  However for most practical purposes, the Flex is no different: very few people (perhaps a dozen?) are making changes in the software and recompiling.. most just load in the new manufacturer supplied software version.  In fact, I'd say that the *fraction* of people modifying the software in their Flex is smaller than the *fraction* of people modifying the hardware in their more conventional radio.

I'm not sure that any of Flex's radios have gone through equipment authorization process... At least not under the name Flex-radio, since there's no FCC Grantee by that name.  Gerald Youngblood does have a grantee id of ZD8 for Bronze Bear Communications
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 09:00:35 PM »

The sooner the SDR future gets hear, the better we should be.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 07:58:21 PM »

I just wanted to share a quick solution for those not wanting to order overseas on the USB touchscreen monitor used for the WoodBoxRadio HamPad.  I ordered the Lilliput 7" Um-70t Usb Power on Touch Screen Monitor By Viviteq INC on Amazon for $149 and set it up with the FXPad demo and it works great.  I noticed the price went up $13 since I ordered it last Monday, however, I am sure if you look around you can get a better deal. 

Alternatively you could look at someof the others like the Mimo.  The Lilliputian has a kickstand on the back to keep it upright.  The Mimo with the base might be better but the reviews complained about the touch scren not being all that great.  One glitch in the whole setup, I had to uninstall the DJ Device and reinstall it after I setup the USB monitor.  This was on Windows 7 64bit after setting up the Galazy software for the USB screen.

Anyways, here is a pic of the FXPad added on to my station, it and the DJ Controls (VFO knobs) slide forward on my desk and allows for conformtable operation kicked back in the chair while still seeing the Panadaptor and CommCat live up on the monitors. link below

I am very pleased with the setup and look forward to the release of FX5000 when it comes out.

73's!
NI0Z

http://am4l.com/stationkansas/NI0Z_FlexStation2.jpg

WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 10:26:06 PM »

Anyways, here is a pic of the FXPad added on to my station, it and the DJ Controls (VFO knobs) slide forward on my desk and allows for conformtable operation kicked back in the chair while still seeing the Panadaptor and CommCat live up on the monitors. link below

73's!
NI0Z

http://am4l.com/stationkansas/NI0Z_FlexStation2.jpg

That is a very cool shack - the red Blue mic and the audio system to the far right of the pic is niiiiice!

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 10:34:05 AM »

Audio system may look cool, however, given a chance for a do-over, I probably would have went with a PC sound card like I described earlier in this thread.  I might even sell off the rack gear and still go that way.  Time will tell.

Why?  Well, all that gear has cables and is subject to interference.  The card I suggested would be just one component that is capable of most of the others.  Some of this rack gear is pretty cheap anyways, so it's not like I have top of the line gear there.

Anyways, thanks for the comments!

Mark

WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 08:22:55 PM »

Drat! Can't find that post, Everstar, on the sound card you mentioned. Could you jog my memory, please?

BTW, I see that you have the Woodbox. How's that working for you?

dave Smiley

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 10:56:51 AM »

It was in another thread http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,79239.msg557636.html#msg557636

the PowerCore is what it is called.

NI0Z

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »

You know, as I was writing my article for my website late last night about Flex integration it began to occur to me that I think I prefer the modular approach that today's state of affairs drives. 

I have been building up my station for about 4 months now and at the end of the day I rather like the idea of being able to pick and choose my parts for my station and that the SDR itself is just a box on the shelf.

The way things sit right now, I can choose my controls and even mix them to have touch, mouse and manual facilities.  I can front end my audio any way I want, same goes for my back end.  The software choices for SDR are very nice.

I am now of the belief that having it all crammed in one box would not really be all that great.

Just my two cents and perhaps alternative way of thinking!

NI0Z

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: