The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VC-2000 Frequency Counter and or equiv.  (Read 6140 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:24:59 AM »

Greetings all:

I have my tail twisted into a knot!  Here are the questions.  Has anyone bought and used the much eBay advertised VC-2000 frequency counter?  The second question is, how do you like it, or not?  Has anyone bought another brand counter around the $100-140 price range and like it?

I understand that the VC-2000 is "Chinese Junk" so don't bother flaming me on this.  The situation is that I'm 76 years old and reeaaallyy can't justify buying a more expensive American made counter.  Not only because my remaining life is somewhat limited now but also because I won't be using it that much.  But I NEED one!

Al

N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:59:57 PM »

RIGHT HERE ON E-HAM are several REVIEWS of very similar counters from what appears to be the same manufacturer (?) ....
Check Out :
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7839
Hope that helps your decision making process.
Also Google search for VC-2000 Frequency Counter, and view other sources than
E-Bay that sell this unit... compare prices.... etc.

It appears that some people have had a GOOD experience, and others a BAD experience, but with quick and free resolution of the problem from the manufacturer.

Just like any other cheaply mass produced piece of electronics, there are going to be GOOD ones and ones that slipped through whatever (if any) quality control the company has...

Good Luck
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 01:10:06 PM by N7NBB » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 08:39:47 PM »

yea, that's the animal OK.  I never think of eHam reviews for some reason.  Thank you for the info.

I don't expect top quality gear for this price but as I pointed out, at my age and the amount I will be using it, top quality is unjustified.  At the same time, I want something other than a CPU with a couple of resistors and capacitors inside a large box.  That's another way of saying I would like to have at least a half decent piece of equipment for $100 !

Thanks again.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 10:14:16 PM »

I have had a VC-3065 counter for a few years now. I have experienced no problems and it has a very high accuracy. It uses a crystal oven standard, so it takes about 20 minutes to stabilize for the most accurate readings. The readings are stable and it has a good operating range (.01HZ to 2.4GHZ). It is an excellent counter for ham radio work. It cost about $100.00, and yes it is made in China. I would guess the VC-2000 is very similar.

Just for reference I am 72 years old and have been a ham since 1954.

Hope this helps.

73s

K2OWK

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 06:30:43 AM »

OWK:  The VC-3065 is made by the same company.  And yes, your answer does indeed help me and answers my question.  I'd like to ask you your opinion on the LED brightness because this seems to be the biggest complaint about the counter.

BTW, I'll be 76 in January and got my ticket in '56.  :-)
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 02:13:33 PM »

Hello again K8AXW,

I do not use my counter outside or in bright light. I have a room set up for my test bench which has one window and standard room lighting. The LED display is bright enough for me to see from across the room without a problem. I would imagine in bright daylight or sunlight it would be difficult to read. There is no brightness control for the display. Just for information I have a mild case of macular degeneration in one eye, so if the display was difficult to read I would know it.

Hope this helps,

73s

K2OWK
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »

OWK:  Many thanks.  Your answer makes me feel a bit better about getting one of these things.

73 and Happy Thanksgiving

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: