Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Budget CW set up  (Read 8947 times)
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »

If you look around you might find a ten tec Argosy 525A or 525D.  A nice clean rig, and very fun to operate.  It gets you 80/40/30/20/15/10 CW/SSB from QRP-50W out.  I bought one a while back and I have had a ball with it.
Have fun with whatever you get!
KE7WAV
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 11:09:43 PM »

A used FT-817 ?  5 watts out / all bands / CW/SSB/AM/FM  / built-in keyer.  Not a "backpacking rig", but small compared to any normal desktop radio.

Charles
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 06:38:07 AM »

I dont have room to set up my Omni.

This is sounding like the old lady at the grocery store who wants all her groceries in one bag, but it can't be heavy.

I think every rig named so far weighs less than 20 pounds and takes up less desk space than a standard keyboard. Stand its on its side if you have to.
KC9QQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 09:16:39 AM »

I would suggest the Elecraft KX1 or K2.  I built a basic K2 which I really like.  I use it exclusively for CW and run between 5-15 watts.  It has an excellent low noise receiver, which I find more pleasant to use on CW than my ICOM 756 Pro 3.  It has a little more power than a true QRP transceiver which also seems to make a difference. 

Fred, KC9QQ
AE6ZW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »

I use TEN TEC OMNI-V paid $600 pls shipping, it is good rig for CW.  I suppose FT-757GX2 sell used around $300-400 come with 600 Hz narrow filter , GX1 does not come with narrow filter however.   or any other older radio come with CW narrow filter around 500 Hz would be good buy , such as IC-718, FT-100D ( D version come with 500 Hz filter standard ) , 
in my opinion cheapest , and low cost way to operate radio is to learn how to fix the radio.   because often buying broken radio is cheaper ,  and older radio are cheaper than newer radio, but older radio are not as reliable as newer one, so to stay away from getting repair radio by professional shop , one have to work on own radio to keep cost low. 
when I first had HF radio FT-757GX2 in 1998 , I got it cheaply, but need to repair and maintain it, same time I learn about electronics of HF radio. so if you look at the way, you got cheap radio and got opportunity to learn HF radio electronics you got good of both world.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: