Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEED HELP  (Read 436 times)
TROY

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2004, 05:58:59 AM »

I JUST PASSED MY TECH TEST AND WANT TO START GETTING READY FOR CW. WHAT IS THE BEST PROGRAM TO GET TO LEARN CW FOR THE TEST? AND WHAT ALL DO I NEED TO PURCHASE? AND WHAT IS THE AVERAGE TIME IT TAKES TO PASS THE TEST? THANKS.
KE5BJF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 11:34:22 AM »

Hi Troy,
I'm studying for my CW test now.  I use G4FON's Koch training program.  It is freeware and is the one that works best for me.  I think it will take about a month of consistant practice (30 mins to an hour a day) to start to get good at cw.  Some pick it up faster and some slower. Do a Google search on G4FON or read the reviews here at eham.net. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2184

Rob

P.S.  Please be sure the cap lock button is not on when you post to internet forums, it's considered shouting and bad etiquette.
TROY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 11:48:27 AM »

Sorry about the caps.
N6PEH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 12:21:19 PM »

Troy,
I used the Gordon West tapes and found them very enjoyable to use.  Here is some really good bad advise.
Do practice at least twice a day for 30 days.
Don't practice more than 20 minutes at a time.
Do try to associate the sound of a character with the letter.
Do not use little helper sounds to remember the characters.  Like "dog did it" for a "D" (dah dit dit).  While this is very helpful at first to remember the code, it will majorly slow you down later converting all that stuff from the code to the pen and paper.
Also, do not, I repeat, DO NOT write down dits and dahs when your copying code.  That will jack you up faster than anything in this world.

When you hear a dit dah for instance.  That sound should ultimately sound the same as someone saying "A".  Not, dit dah, and that was a dit before a dah, which is not a "N", so it must be an "A", and finally you write an "A".

Lastly, relax and have fun.  You'll do just fine.
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 02:59:28 PM »

I agree about G4FON's software.  It's free, it's easy to use, and it can take you where you want to go.  Download it and give it a try.  I sometimes sit here with it running in the background at 30 wpm, while I do other work, so it's good for all levels of CW expertise, from just learning, to increasing speed.  

Ed
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 06:19:17 PM »

G4FON is the best, and it's free. Congratulations on passing your Technician exam. I hope you have fun with CW. http://www.qsl.net/g4fon/
73, Jim W4YA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: