Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 30 meters  (Read 429 times)
K9TER

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2004, 02:40:28 PM »

Im getting ready to go on 30meters for the first time. what would be the best time to operate, any good tips. Thanks
VE7ALQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 05:46:59 PM »

I find that Nightfall is good for DX on CW.  Very strong signals from Australia etc. with very little QRM & QRN.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 07:03:07 AM »

I worked 30 a lot...some years back. For the most part, 'DX' occured into Eu in their late evening...and early morning...  2200 GMT and 04/0500 GMT.  For me, here in W7 land, the problem with 30 meters was that when I stayed away from the strong TTY, 'The Frequency' (10.120), some TTY stuff on 10.002... etc, it seemed there were about 17 KC left.. of 'good band'. If the timing was wrong, the domestic guys ate up a lot of that.  There was a notch up at 10.135 that worked.  I ran the legal 200 (on my Bird) and experimented with some wire , fixed, inverted Vee Yagi antennas..aimed at Eu. That really helped, and I was  very happy with it...although two elements seemed to be the maximum useful before the beam-width became too narrow, and I would have trouble with the I and SV stations.  The Following on 30 is pretty limited and after you have worked them... little happens. I withered and left the band, using the antenna space for other things. But it was fun and I hope you enjoy it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: