Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about contest verifications, ARRL.  (Read 3033 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »

Just curious, how do the different contest people verify the contacts?  Does ARRL use LoTW for theirs, or do they do something else?  Do they just assume honesty or do they actually verify every single call sign?

As I was verifying some contacts from last weekend's ARRL contest to see what states I still needed to get all 50 ( I don't enter just play) and I found two contacts where the call sign was invalid and not in the data base.

Thanks

Sam
W9KDX
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »

There is software out there that can take the submitted logs
and do a comparison to see what is and what is not a valid contact.
Not ALL Q's are verified, but a significant percentage of them are.

Chances are, the calls that do not come up valid are your fault.
You probably busted the call when entered into the logging program.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »

With nearly all logs in major contests now submitted electronically, the sponsors of major contests use special software to cross-check essentially ALL logs -- and provide reports back to contest entrants on what they found.

So-called "UBN" reports show things like which calls you logged that were incorrect, which stations that worked you got YOUR call incorrect, which contacts you made were not in the other station's log, which contacts had incorrect contest exchanges, the number of QSO's and mutlipliers lost, penalty points assessed (reduction from claimed score), etc.

LoTW serves an entirely different purpose.
Contesters (as well as DXers and casual operators) voluntarily submit their logs to LoTW (a separate process from submitting a log to enter a contest) to see which of their contacts "match up" against other submitted logs to acquire "electronic QSLs" to qualify for ARRL awards such as DXCC, VUCC and WAS.

WA4FNG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 03:08:35 PM »

Here's another question related to this...

I, as well as many others, may participate in a contest but not actually submit logs. By doing this are we cheating the stations we work out of a legitimate contact for their score? We're not talking about a lot of contacts, but I wouldn't feel right cruising the contest trying to pick up new entities if it impacts the contestors score.

Thanks
Milt
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 05:19:38 AM »

No, you're not depriving contest ops of your contact if you do not submit your log.

There's no requirement that contacts "match up" against another submitted log to be valid.

If you make multiple contacts, your call-sign will show up in multiple submitted logs, providing a means of determining whether it's been logged correctly or not ("busted") by those who work you.

So it's a good idea to make more than one contact.
If you don't, your call-sign will be tagged as "unique" in the log of the one station that you contacted -- meaning that it doesn't appear in any other submitted log. But that station will still get credit for the QSO.

All that said, I always encourage "casual" contest participants to submit their logs.

It's easy enough to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: