Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I or shouldn't I renew my license?  (Read 10911 times)
N0UTD

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »

My license expires December 22, 2012 which is shortly after the world is to come to an end by the
Mayan calendar as some people believe. So should I waste my time and effort to renew my ticket and not be able to use it?  If it was a vanity call, there would be no question. Spend the money before the end of the world.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »

Why not what have you got to lose. LOL

73s

K2OWK
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 10:19:06 AM »

My license expires December 22, 2012 which is shortly after the world is to come to an end by the
Mayan calendar as some people believe. So should I waste my time and effort to renew my ticket and not be able to use it?  If it was a vanity call, there would be no question. Spend the money before the end of the world.

You just answered your own question.

Just wait until the day after the world is supposed to end. If you're still here, renew.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »

On the other hand, if it IS the end of the world, you may want to renew your license so you can assist in those emergency comms.

(I'm hoping there's an official ARRL EoTW t-shirt.)
"... dits and dahs till the end...literally"
"Hey Bart.. lost you on that last transmission so I'm gonna say 7..."
"I CQ'd to the end of the world and all I got was this lousy QSL card."
"Ham radio.. to the ends of the earth and the end of the world!"

Chris
AK4KZ

K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 04:07:49 PM »

The end of the world is interpreted many ways:  it could signal a polar shift or a solar storm so strong as to disable all communication (i think there was one in the 1800's that disabled telegraph operations for a month(?)

It may also just signal significant earthquakes, floods, etc. so you might need that license (don't want to be a pirate now do ya?)

Or it may signal the end of an era and the birth of a new one (as happens every dawn/dusk).

i guess what i am trying to advise is for you to renew ;-)
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:16:31 PM »

Nah!!! Just let it lapse. Be sure and box up all your gear and send it to me.

I'm trying to become the slot leader in the "One who dies with the most toys ..... WINS" contest Smiley

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 05:47:16 PM »

When all else fails  Grin
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 08:51:54 PM »

So should I waste my time and effort to renew my ticket and not be able to use it?

It depends: did the Mayans predict that you'll let your license expire?
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »

Maya con Dios, as they say....

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AE6ZW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »

many people told me world end 1999 Dec 31 along with year 2000 computer problem, I heard   we lose power  for years, and we all go to stone age.   nothing really happen,  I heard year 999 Dec 31  people gathered at churches , because they thought world would end. 
since most of those prediction of world ending did not happen, chances this one is also not so accurate.  I don't think any one can predict future precisely like if they own time machine.
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 07:24:16 PM »

When Y2K came around I was working in a prison. It was a close custody prison. This is the highest level that are allowed free movement out of cells. We house the max inmates in lock up. We were held over for 2 hours to have enough staff in case of problems. When it was time for the new year to come in I went and stood in a block with 36 inmates in it to watch the New Year come in. I was not worried at all. People thought I was crazy but I chose well. The block I was in had out patient mental health and older inmates in it. Normally very non violent and not aggressive towards staff. No issues. If the world does end what the hell no use for license. If it doesnt you will be without. I would say dont get them and send me yout gear but I see that has been claimed.
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 08:26:03 AM »

since most of those prediction of world ending did not happen,

Grin Cheesy Shocked Love it! So, which of them DID happen?  Tongue

WD6GLA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 11:41:13 AM »

I had one of those calendar's once  .......really neat !  Lots of nice girls on it   Shocked  ,  I remember that part ,  but to be honest  I was mostly looking at the pictures and didnt look to see when it ended .  It up and dissapeared one day and I just assumed somebody stole it   Undecided  

Who sells 'em now ?  

N7BDY
Bob

PS :  forget the license .... use the money to get one of those calendars  Wink

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:44:51 AM by WD6GLA » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 11:55:12 AM »

Maybe the next world has CEPT so you can use your license there if you renew it  Tongue

Maybe the Mayan people knew something we don't or maybe the guy calculating the calendar got tired and decided to stop. Heck, the calendar I receive every year ends on Dec 31st. You suppose the mechanic at the garage down the street knows something I don't?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »

The Mayan calendar ends at 2012 because they ran out of room on the rock and were too lazy to re-do it on a bigger rock.

I'll refrain from offering my opinion of people who actually believe this stuff.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: