Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russ Ellis (N8MWK) is a CROOK !  (Read 12761 times)
KD8MAA

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2011, 08:52:11 PM »

N8MWK sold me a RCI2950dx that he said worked and had no modifications what so ever.
He said he got it from a SK estate and that he used it the weekend before to make contacts in Germany etc...
When i received the radio last Saturday and hooked it up it would not even key up in FM/AM/CW and would barely register a single watt on SSB with full modulation. Also after removing the covers it was obvious that the clarifier had been opened and last i checked this constitutes as a modification. I have tried to contact Russ for three day's via his email that he used here on E-Ham and his ARRL email from QRZ with no reply. If you go to QRZ and read his bio you would never expect a person to act like this who has accomplished so much since being a Ham. He was the founding member and president of a radio club for 13 years,ex vet etc... yet he stiffs me for a mere 150 bucks and will not even reply to my emails.
So be careful my friends,even if someones credentials look impressive they can still be a CROOK!
Robert - KD8MAA
KD8MAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:15:43 PM »

could not get Russ to return my emails for three day's but within an hour of posting on this forum here is an email from him.
I was told that the rig was not touched by the estates executrix who is 85 and I did make contacts on the rig on 10 meter ssb and cw the only thing that was different was she had a m-106 mobile estatic mic on the rig when I used it. I am not familiar with the new ranger radios and I was just putting in the ad what I was told, and I have been out of town with no email access for the past weekend.  You can even check with dl5js and dj5mw and vo2ns they were 3 of the staions I worked on the rig. I dont know where you get off with the slander on the eham topic but thats ok, it shows ignorance and inexperience. I was just doing a favor for a old lady. The money is in her hands not mine and I wouldnt return it now if I had it! And trying to slander me, you will need to try a bit harder for anyone to believe that. Russ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »

I don't have a dog in this fight and don't know either party.

The seller should have made sure there were no modifications before advertising that
there were none.  One shouldn't expect that the ZYL will really know this information
particularly an 85 year old.

If the problem with output is simply due to the type mike, that is not a real problem.
He said it worked with his mike but didn't work well with yours (you say!).

If opening up the range of the clarifier is a problem, then fix it.  If not forget about it.

Calling someone a crook on a forum is serious.  Looks more like a bit of misunderstanding or quoting someone else without checking the facts.

I hope you two resolve this deal and find an equitable deal.
Allen

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:28:05 AM »

Just a thought, Robert, but maybe you should have given Russ a bit more time before you shot off such a posting on this site.  I have three e-mail accounts, one of which I use for general contact purposes which gets checked weekly--that is, every seven days.  Other than that, I don't look at it because of the amount of spam mail that crops up on it.

It's always better to wait awhile--sometimes some people don't check their e-mail as often as we think they do!  73!
KD8MAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 12:38:21 AM »

The problem with the radio is not the mic-it came with the stock mic and i do have others that work on this radio,as for the clarifier being modded,putting it back to factory specs is easier said than done as this is a smt circuit board and who knows how and what was removed to mod it. As for giving more time to answer my emails-i did a search and saw that he posted on another site so that tells me his pc was on and was just avoiding me.
Bottom line is it does not work and he will not make it right, But i am not worried about the money if he or the SK family needs its,then keep it.
I was just trying to warn others about him,i have a feeling there are a lot of poeple out here who purchase items that are not as described then they just accept it. When i pay for a non-modified radio, then that is what i should recieve,i should not have to fix the clarifier or accept it as KA5N stated.But that is all for nothing as the radio does not work,it will key up but has no power output,it can be fixed i am sure of that,probably the driver or final(s).
But guess who has to pay for that!!!
Robert
KA4DQJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »

I've been in that jam a number of times myself when buying things on the Web sight unseen.

The "jam" has two parts... Part 1 is a glowing statement of the item's condition.  The purchased item can be anything under the Sun; not just a piece of Ham gear. 

The item arrives, and is not nearly on par with the sales description.  Now comes time for Part 2 of the jam..... the seller is advised of the problem, and the story now includes a third party who told the seller the condition of the item, who then told the buyer of the item's condition.

Which would be fine, had the seller mentioned in the sale that he had no first hand knowledge of the item's condition, and that every fact he was claiming was only hearsay.

I've bought and sold many things on the Internet.  At no time did I give a flat statement of condition unless I personally was aware of the facts.  And, IF I was only relying on the words of another person, I would certainly make that known.  Otherwise, I'd be selling the item "as is."

If a seller wants to "do an old lady a favor" I say that is fine... so long as he doesn't include the buyer without that buyer's knowledge and consent.

Slander?  The absolute defense to slander is the truth. The seller is wrong in more ways than one, and needs to make this right.  That he was trying to help an old woman is no defense when performed that help by fraud.
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 10:44:18 AM »

It's this type of nonsense which created the Paypal 45 day return policy.  And it doesn't matter what the reason is.  If the buyer is unhappy, then he can get his money back.  No matter if the auction stated "as is". 

The seller represented the radio as "unmodified" and it certainly wasn't.  Buck up. Have the buyer return the radio to you and refund his money.  You might have been doing an "old lady" a favor, but you still have the responsibility to ensure that what you're selling is as described. 

Your reputation is worth far more than the $150 isn't it? 
KD8MAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »

Maybe Russ was down and out this Christmas and needed a little help with buying gifts for the children-Glad i could help him out Grin
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 10:40:16 AM »

Slander is also the first thing people blurt out when they are trying to scare someone w/ legalese.  Unfortunately 99% of these people use 'slander' when they should be saying 'libel'.  Of course, the same 99% also never look up the guidelines for what makes libel/slander...so they apply it in ways that just make them look like simpletons.

PS Russ...you wanted to use the term "libel". That said...what the OP posted isn't libelous as the OP posted his side of a story and thats typically not considered a form of defamation.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:51:39 AM by KB1TXK » Logged

N8MWK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:08:20 PM »

KD8MAA is a "pot" calling the kettle black. He has a history on QTH.com of deception thats why he displays a receipt not a station photo or pic of his ugly self on QRZ.COM. I work 4 days a week and was gone from friday until monday night when I did the deal with him. I came home and read his negative and nasty emails about my person. I would have gladly gotten his 150 bucks back if it was not for the way he went about it. For that fact I would have used the money for toilet paper before I gave it back and the fact that i worked several friends around the world on the rig before sending it.
Just look at my QRZ page "does it really look like I need the 150.?"
The card I hold in my hand from P5 North Korea is worth more then that. I have won and placed in many contests and am well known in the Dx community and I will be at the DX dinner in May  at the Dayton hamvention and the dx and contest forums so PLEASE LOOK ME UP!! I will be happy to settle this in person!!
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 07:32:36 AM »

I also, do not have a dog in ths fight.  I also know that if I buy something on-line that is not as specified, I become a raving lunatic, ready to take someones head off.  I always hold any monies I receive from on-line sales in abeyance for a couple of weeks to make sure there are no issues with the sale.

This sort of thing should not happen and N8MWK should return the guy's money.  The item was not as specified.  It might have been advertised a bit differently also, so as to removed any future liability from N8MWK.
KE5JDJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 04:55:19 AM »

I don't have a dog in the fight either.  I have not done any research into history on either party.  However, I will say:

I think protected transactions break down when pictures get involved without identifying marks/serial numbers from the seller on the original bid page.  Either the seller has a picture of something beautiful that isn't what he sent or the buyer shows a picture of junk that is not what he received.

So when I purchase I require a serial number or some other identifying mark in a picture(s) from the seller sufficient to confirm I get what I order for high priced items.  And I do so through the market email system if they won't post on the bid page...don't give them your direct email if at all possible.

Next, if you are selling I always sell with serial numbers and identifying marks for protection.  I post those on the bid page so their can be no question what I sold.  Still this isn't the do all be all, cases have been swapped, dirt and scratches applied, etc....

On the PayPal side, I've been covered several times.  The key has been early and frequent communication to document what happened.  Someone tried to stick me with not shipping a gold coin...oops they said, we didn't insure it (right...several hundred dollars not insured or registered).  Got my money back.  About 3-5% of my eBay purchases go wrong and I need to retract my cash from PayPal.  This is based on about 150 transactions.

Your mileage may vary....

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British prime-minister (1759-1806)
KD8MAA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 08:21:31 PM »

O.K. Russ-are you going to give me my 150 back at the Dayton Hamvention,is that
what you are saying.If so i will bring the radio with me and give it back to you!
Or are you going to just call me some more names and tell me to f*&k off.Russ,you have not tried to work this out as all i want is what i paid for which is a working radio,hell i will even send it back to you if you have someone who will fix it. As for a history of deception on QTH-COULD YOU ELABORATE with links to each deception.
As for the radio-i still have it with all the goodies it came with in the box as i cannot find anyone willing to work on SMT radio's (not even Ranger as it is not under warranty)
I guess i am lying about this also!
KD8MAA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »

BTW Russ-the photo on QRZ is of a receipt showing when and where i shipped a cb radio to a fella on QTH who said i never shipped it.
He may of never gotten it-but i posted the receipt on QRZ for all to see that i shipped the 65 dollar radio.
And yes insurance was offered at his exspense and he did not respond. That transaction was
THE ONLY ONE i ever had a problem with until yours. If that is what you call a history of deception on QRZ (one bad transaction) then i guess i am guilty!
73s
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 07:09:33 AM »

So you bought a trashed out CB radio that doesn't work.

And we should care about this, eh?

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: