The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So who else is lookig forward to the ARRL 10 meter contest this year?  (Read 20014 times)
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »

G7MRV: Trust me, I have operated in quite a few contest from reasonably big contest stations. I think I can count the times I heard a contest station using an echo microphone on just one hand. I'm pretty sure that most of the times you were hearing multi path propagation signals and not echo microphones.
The fact the you heard some stations with an echo and others without an echo while both were from te same region, probably had everyting to do with the power level, the antenna (directional or omni directional) that was used and the surrounding terrain of the station (mountains or clear take-off angles).

This contest was definately a blast. Propagation wasn't as good as during the CQ WW SSB but still very good non the less. Sometimes I could hear the very last part of my own call. On the CQ contest reflector I found out that I wasn't the only one who had that experience.

73, Maarten
PD2R (operated from the PI4DX contest station)
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 03:45:14 PM »

Had a blast! Still had family obligations and Christmas stuff to do so my time was more limited than I thought. I think I worked every station in Cali!! Seemed like a pipe line between CA and GA ! I didn't hear "echo" mic's but a lot of the DX stations don't always seem to have the greatest audio. Maybe it was the propagation.
 One of these days I'll get serious about a contest but right now I enjoy the leisurely approach. Honestly, by late Sunday, most of the stations I could still hear were stateside and already in the log, and I wasn't even trying hard.
Michael, W4HIJ
K5ML

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »

I enjoy contesting, but just for fun. I never send in scores and very rarely call CQ. I just hunt and see what I can do. Working with a KW and a ground mounted vertical from HOA Land, I worked 49 countries and 36 states during the 10 meter contest and put in about 7 hours total. It's nice to have the sunspots back.
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »

I am not a "contester" but I enjoy hearing the band wall to wall with CQ. I was on 12, 17 and 15 a good bit this weekend. I like operating on those bands. It is all the facets of ham that makes it what it is. We can go from trying to work DX to providing emergency communications. I need to get my Extra. I gave about 50 contacts ths weekend on 10 meters and I heard several multi path signals. I heard one station that had an echo on his echo!
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 07:21:39 AM »

It was definitely multipath. 

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »

Agree with the echo's some crazy multi-path and back-scatter, definetly not echo-mics. I was amazed to work close in states, just missed a few, and I was also blown away by the number of AZ/CO stations.. wow

Some kind of pipeline effect definitely enhancing particular paths on 10M, yes particularly AZ and CO.

In my past 10 meter efforts WA and OR were very common but were not so common this time around. Also from past experience I was expecting more from the Caribbean on 10M but other than a handful of the regular contest stations, I didn't hear much.

From my QTH in MD AZ and CO really stand out as coming in dozens of times each, but also some rarer states/provinces in Western states were coming in through a pipeline effect too... AZ, CO, UT, SK, AK, MT, ID all at the top of the list and all coming through exceptionally loud and clear (especially the SK stations... without hearing their call I had a good guess they were the SK station again because they were just so loud)!

Tim.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 09:32:43 AM »

When I was receiving the Multipath signals it started on the East Coast and moved westward through out the day. It was funny to hear a AR station clear as a bell while TX and OK had the echo and when TX was clear NM and CO had the echo. And yes a few times I heard myself after I unkeyed kinda cool. I did hear one op scold another for running a Echo Mic of course he was not because I heard him loud and clear and he told the guy to buzz off.

Roland AH6RR
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 11:21:43 AM »

From my station in southern California, it was almost if my 80m doublet was a beam pointing NE/ENE.  In fact, it kinda is, due to the lobes and deep nulls.  Anyway, I must have worked just about every CW op in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ontario, Michigan, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc.

Nothing further west than North Dakota/Texas, though.
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 02:34:10 PM »

PD2R,

I will bow to you on this occasion! Yes of course i hadnt factored in diferent antenna types or power levels. On the commercial links everything uses the same systems!

That said, i have spoken to one of those who had the effect, and who rather sheepishly did admit to using his echo mic on one of those 'does it all' cb type rigs! Thats not to say they were all that way of course, but it is at least one.

Thinking more critically about the operation, few of the stations i noted the effect from remained that way through the weekend - the chap mentioned above did of course! I suspect as conditions improve I will ahve opertunity to learn to diffrentiate the two better.

Interesting to note the op mentioned above was in the UK - where recent '10m' rig reviews ive seen in reputable mags have been these 24-29MHz all mode CB sets, masquarading as ham rigs...  Roll Eyes

PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 04:14:45 PM »

Yes, there could be some truth to your echo mic story. Of all the HF bands, 10 meters is probably were the most CB equipment is being used. So the chance of running into a operators using a CB echo microphone is probably the greatest on 10 meters.

Still, conditions were great and I heard multi path echo's almost the entire contest.
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 01:20:39 AM »

Yes, when i asked him about it, he said he thought it would make him more 'noticable'. I pointed out to him that it sounded bad. Hes a fella who works for the same company as me, but at an office the other end of the country, i caught up with him on 80m.

How many others are doing the same i couldnt say. I guess its a temptation with those rigs (i know little about them, as i avoid them from the outset)

On the converse, i myself had not encountered that sort of multipath before. I guess that is due to not having HF privilages during the last solar cycle. I hadnt noticed them before this year either, but there had also not been quite so many ops on at one time either!

What i do know is that im putting a beam up for the next one! Wink

KD8NGE

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 05:23:47 AM »

It wasn't your fault, it was just the airwaves!  Try it now, the sun is up, and 10 is as crowded as 11 Meters was in the '70s!

You're right.  It came to life but as I was not able to make the 17 foot dipole (thank you to the previous respondent who recommended that dodge!), I had to make do with what I had ... the frequency cycled up and down, and cycle was on about a 4-second period ... hard to copy an entire call sign, much less make contact in that brief window ... guaranteed, I will take the sound advice I was given, and make that dipole!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: