Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fighting  (Read 2611 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:13:54 AM »

Can anyone explain to me why the Flex haters are always in here complaining about how the Flex rigs are the worst radios since time began? Why do they care?  Gee, I wish that I had consulted with them before I made my purchase. Guess I am not very smart and am probably morally and mentally deficient.

After the SDR-1000 came out I read the review in QST and thought that it looked very interesting so I downloaded the demo. Seeing the radio spectrum made a lot of sense (to me but then as I stated above I am not very smart) so I bought a 1000. Yeahn I know what an idiot. Well at the time I had a fully loaded TS-850SAT and thought that I would keep it forever and use the 1000 on occasion. After I got the 1000 I never turned the 850 on again. Not once. The panadapter had me hooked. Even though the rig was kind of buggy with the way the external sound card hooked up it was still a great rig. When the 5000 came on the market I sold the TS-850, an FT-100 (oh man was that a dog! The VHF finals blew twice) and the SDR-1000 to pay for the Flex-5000a. BTW you can read my review in the eham review section. I would not go back to another rig as I am very pleased with the performance. BTW how do people with old fashioned rigs find DX without tuning all the time? I just look at the panadapter and watch for activity and frequently work DX before it gets spotted. Is my Flex-5000 the perfect rig? Can there ever be a perfect anything? To me it is the best radio I have ever owned but then as I stated before I am none too smart.

However I don't care what rigs other people use. Actually I am glad that we have a variety of rigs to choose from. It is cool that you can use almost anything on the air from antiques to WWII rigs to homebrew and the most modern thing out there. But if I was in a QSO with someone who had a (insert model of choice here) I would not tell him he is a idiot and stop the QSO because he did not have a rig that I deemed worthy of being on the air. To me the whole idea is to get on the air, have fun and learn about technology and geography. The only thing I hate about ham radio is guys who tune their amp right on top of DX stations but as they say that is another story for another forum….

So for you haters out there could you explain why you post here all the time about something you hate and probably don’t own?

Zack
N8FNR
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:48:27 AM »

So for you haters out there could you explain why you post here all the time about something you hate and probably don’t own?

Zack
N8FNR

I don't know either. I actually understand the frustration because I get so frustrated with flex at times that I want to scream. I have this love/hate relationship with the radios that allows me to see both sides. I would talk about the negatives I experience but there is always too much that is unreasonably negative here already.

But that doesn't change the fact that, even with all it's warts, I can find no other radio I would rather have.

I am definitely waiting for the day when someone produces a GOOD direct sampling transceiver with a Gig-E interface that will sample the entire HF spectrum. I am watching the HPSDR Hermes with great interest.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »

Zack
N8FNR

Zack,
 I've been asking that same question for months  and have never gotten an answer. I've never had an Icom radio that I liked but I don't make it my life's mission to try and discredit  and trash Icom. I've never gotten why these guys insist on waging a "holy war" on Flex radios. You don't like something, sell it an move on. I think they are actually jealous of those of us who own Flex radios and have not experienced the problems they have. It's the only thing I can figure.
 If you dare to come on here and say you like your Flex radio or state than you haven't experienced an issue they did, then you are dismissed as a liar and labeled  a fan boy and attacked and ridiculed. 
 As I said in a post above, there are things about my 1500 I don't like but I've never yet owned a radio I liked everything about and in my case, the positives about the radio far outweigh the negatives. For me, it's a great little piece of equipment that has immensely increased my enjoyment of the hobby. I don't know why this incenses the Flex bashers so much, but it does.
Michael, W4HIJ
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 05:54:22 PM »

As I have said many times I do not hate Flexradios, altho I do dislike many Flexers.  Cheesy

Why Stan? They are just people who like the radio.

I post about Flexradios so everyone can get a balanced view of Flexradios. Without me and several others, this eham Forum would read like the feely good Flex Reflectors. You should stay on the Flex Reflectors if you do not like reading the truth about Flexradios - warts and all..

Stan, I have my issues with Flex. They have disappointed me several times. Regardless, what you post here is not the truth. It is a slanted view of the product. It is emphasis of the negative while ignoring the positive. Like the ARRL review in QST that we just "discussed". You extracted every negative thing from it while ignoring that the reviewer was overall pleased with the product. Yes, you state facts (which is why you like to slant it as the 'truth') but it is very slanted truth intended to give people the wrong impression, what most people call 'spin'. Yeah, you and Gene are probably the biggest spin-mongers on eHam. Why you do that I don't know. It certainly appears that you hate Flex Radio Systems and everyone who likes their product. And that is just sad. It means that you spend a lot of time on here hating things and people. I can't imagine why you would choose to live that way. Life's too short to spend it hating things and people.

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »

Hah!!! The day that Stan post a "balanced view" of anything concerning Flex, someone needs to buy the devil a parka because hell surely will have frozen over!
Michael, W4HIJ
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 07:29:45 PM »

Regardless, what you post here is not the truth. It is a slanted view of the product. It is emphasis of the negative while ignoring the positive.

Give us a break!  This coming from the 2010 Flex Radio Goodwill Ambassador and Volunteer Flex Radio Salesman himself!  Talk about slanted...  Roll Eyes

Gene
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:33:03 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »

Hah!!! The day that Stan post a "balanced view" of anything concerning Flex, someone needs to buy the devil a parka because hell surely will have frozen over!
Michael, W4HIJ

I can say the same about you.  The day that Michael posts a "balanced view" of anything concerning Flex... well...

Gene
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:34:01 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »

Michael, W4HIJ

I can say the same about you.  The day that Michael posts a "balanced view" of anything concerning Flex... well...

Gene
My views are a lot more balanced that you or Stan's ever will be!  There are things I don't like about my Flex radio just like there are things I didn't like about the Kenwood, Yaesu  and IckyCom radios I've owned over the years. I choose not to focus on the negatives though and enjoy my rig and my hobby. Been enjoying the heck out of it today in the contest!
 BTW, whenever you guys come upon the "perfect rig" would you  please let me know? I'd like to try one. Funny thing though, I don't seem to have a lot of the problems with my Flex that you guys harp on constantly. Guess I'm just lucky. Or wait..... does that make me a liar because my experience is different from yours? Again, for about the 20th time, why does it bother you and Stan so much that I and countless others like me are enjoying our Flex radios?
Michael
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 05:52:15 AM »

My views are a lot more balanced that you or Stan's ever will be!  There are things I don't like about my Flex radio just like there are things I didn't like about the Kenwood, Yaesu  and IckyCom radios I've owned over the years. I choose not to focus on the negatives though and enjoy my rig and my hobby. Been enjoying the heck out of it today in the contest!
 BTW, whenever you guys come upon the "perfect rig" would you  please let me know? I'd like to try one. Funny thing though, I don't seem to have a lot of the problems with my Flex that you guys harp on constantly. Guess I'm just lucky. Or wait..... does that make me a liar because my experience is different from yours? Again, for about the 20th time, why does it bother you and Stan so much that I and countless others like me are enjoying our Flex radios?
Michael

Thanks.  Once again you have just demonstrated my point.  You are also being hypocritical.  I wonder how many of those "IckyCom" radios, as you call them, that you have actually owned?  You seem to be happy to point out the negatives about Japanese radios in other threads even though you currently own a Flex.

Gene
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:54:08 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 07:02:01 AM »

Michael

Thanks.  Once again you have just demonstrated my point.  You are also being hypocritical.  I wonder how many of those "IckyCom" radios, as you call them, that you have actually owned?  You seem to be happy to point out the negatives about Japanese radios in other threads even though you currently own a Flex.

Gene
Excuse me? Hypocritical in what way?  Because I made a joke about the name of Icom?  I make no secret to anyone that I don't like Icom radios but  I don't go on forums and make literally hundreds of post criticizing a manufacturer of radio that I no longer own. I don't lurk on Icom reflectors waiting to pounce on isolated issues so I can bring them here to eham. I also don't single out and ridicule and insult Icom radio owners because they make post saying they enjoy their rig and are having no issues with it. There is a huge difference in me simply stating  "I don't like  Icom" and guys like you and Stan who wage an all out vendetta against Flex and the people who own them.
 To answer your question I've owned four Icom's mostly because I got good deals on them. Never liked a single one of them and kicked myself after buying them. No skin off my nose if other hams like them, they are just not for me personally.
 The only "negative" I've ever said about Japanese radios is that IMO the lower and mid end ones are overpriced for the performance they deliver compared to the current offerings from Ten Tec, Elecraft and Flex.
 For someone who repeatedly tries to dismiss my post you can't argue with as "nonsense" , you should really read your own and make sure they have a scant bit of logic in them before you post.
 Oh and again, please be sure and  let us all know when you find the mythical "perfect radio"! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Michael
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 07:06:51 AM by W4HIJ » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 07:09:04 AM »

There is a huge difference in me simply stating  I don't like  Icom and guys like you and Stan who wage an all out vendetta against Flex and the people who own them.

Michael

As opposed to YOU who wages an all out vendetta against people who would say anything factually negative about your precious Flex radio?  Just keep on demonstrating how hypocritical you are, Michael.  Roll Eyes

The fact is that Flex radios have many, many ugly warts and you and your "Flexie" buddies try to spin, minimize, lie, and harass anyone who points those nasty Flex radio warts out.  I never have claimed to present a balanced view of Flex's equipment.  In my experience with Flex, there were many negatives.  Unfortunately, you rose-colored-glasses wearing "Flexies" with your unbalanced pro-Flex views need to be balanced out by those of us who know about the downside to owning a Flex radio.  It is fine by me if someone who is considering purchasing a Flex does his research using information from both pro and cons and then decides to buy a Flex.  I may not agree with the decision, but it is their business.  You "Flexies" obviously don't want guys to be informed about the negative side and that is why you whine, complain, minimize, lie, and harass those who present the negative side of Flex ownership.

Gene
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 07:18:45 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »

There is a huge difference in me simply stating  I don't like  Icom and guys like you and Stan who wage an all out vendetta against Flex and the people who own them.

Michael

As opposed to YOU who wages an all out vendetta against people who would say anything factually negative about your precious Flex radio?  Just keep on demonstrating how hypocritical you are, Michael.  Roll Eyes

Gene
Again.... All I've EVER done here is stated  " I'm enjoying my Flex radio and it has immensely increased my enjoyment of the hobby since I got it"  When someone has pointed out something "factually negative" or an alleged negative, I've responded with something to the effect of  "I haven't had that issue here" or "I don't use it for that so I wouldn't really know" depending on the situation and my personal experience. Now obviously, I've been a bit more verbose than that at times and sometimes the discussions get heated but in a nutshell that's all I've ever said. For me to say those things doesn't mean I'm wearing rose colored glasses and it doesn't make me a liar. It simply means I've had a different experience.
 Regardless of what's been said in the past and how heated some of our discussions have become, I have not one bit of personal animosity towards you Gene. I just disagree with and don't understand your negative agenda towards Flex radios and the people who own them. I likely never will.
 Stan is another story entirely because he completely crossed the line and made things intensely personal to me when he insulted the memory of my late father but I really do wish you and I could end this bickering.
Michael

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:17:39 AM by W4HIJ » Logged
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 10:16:01 AM »

Stan, see my post in the other thread.

It is unfortunate that people see me as being some kind of Flex cheerleader. I am not. The only reason I seem to always state the positive is because there is already someone, you, stating the negative, and mostly negative based on on past problems that have since been corrected.

But if I were to talk as much about what I perceive the negatives of Flex Radio Systems products to be as I would like, that would leave an unfair negative bias on this list. Flex Radio Systems has certainly had its problems with its products, something that you have made it your apparent life's-work to illuminate, but even with their problems and shortcomings, they are just about the only commercial entity in ham radio doing anything new. Even with their problems I cannot imagine going back to a tradition KWM2-like box radio except as a nostalgia thing and then it probably WILL be a KWM2. The future is clearly with SDR, whether with internal or external processing. I think external processing is a win because it allows nearly infinite expansion as computer technology changes but that is just my opinion, clearly not shared by everyone here. OTOH few shared my desire for a free and open Internet in the late 1970's or my adherence to TCP/IP as the open networking protocol suite in the 1980's. Time will tell.

Stan, I hope you find what you are looking for and stop feeling the need to spread hate and discontent. Making things always makes me feel a lot better than destroying or trying to destroy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: