Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a WORD?  (Read 401 times)
W4YA

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2004, 08:43:55 AM »

Someone once told me that a WORD is the length of time that it takes to send PARIS. That is 10 dots, 4 dashes and 5 spaces (including the space after the S.) So 5 WPM would be five PARISs in one minute.

Is there really a standard word?
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 10:32:01 AM »

I don't know about now, but in the past the average "word" was five characters long and 25 characters in one minute was considered 5wpm.

Lon
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 12:45:13 PM »

Yes there really is a standard word and that word is Paris.  It's really only good for calibrating software however.  In the test situation, 25 alphabetical characters are considered the equivalanet of 5 words even though that isn't as accurate.  Numerical characters, punctuation characters, and prosign characters count as if they were two alphabetical characters.
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 06:31:02 PM »

Thanks, N8UZE. I guess to really get a standard for calibration purposes, the ratio of dot, dash and space lenghts would have to be standardized too. I assume that PARIS came from the Signal Corps.

Based on that, a minute at five standard WPM could contain more or fewer than 25 characters.

Jim W4YA
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 05:02:01 AM »

Yes there is a standard ratio for dot, dash, and spaces between dots/dashes, spaces between letters and spaces between words.  If I recall correctly it is as follows:

Dot = basic unit of length
Dash = length of 3 dots
Space between dots and dashes within a character is the length of one dot
Space between characters = length of 3 dots
Space between words = length of 5 dots

Unfortunately many ops run their characters and words together making it hard to copy.
RobertHarrisExAA6RH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 10:33:53 PM »

Hi Jim:

The word "paris" is used because it more closely equals plain language text. That is to say a mixture of letters, numbers and punctuation. I calibrate my keyers using "paris".

The word "codex" is used when sending random text.

A fuller explanation can be found in the 1990 ARRL Handbook on page 19-4, something which I am sad to say has been left out of later issues.

73 OM ZUT

Rob
AA6RH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: