Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Nuclear booms Come?  (Read 39515 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 08:54:09 AM »

Nuclear attacks are more survivable than you think, if you're outside the immediate blast zone. Fallout is highly radioactive - the good news is that it decays pretty quickly.
   Exactly!  It is our responsibility to survive, to continue the human race and the American way! Smiley
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 08:59:54 AM »

A "dirty bomb" is not actually a nuclear explosion, but a conventional explosion used to spread bits of radioactive material. It could indeed contain a variety of isotopes, including ones which take a long time to decay, leading to months of cleanup. If proper sheltering, evacuation and clean-up procedures are followed, it really shouldn't kill many more people than it killed in the initial explosion though.

As for actual nuclear bombs, how much fallout they produce depend both on the type of bomb and where they're detonated. An air burst would create less fallout than a ground burst, for example.
   Don't forget "neutron" bombs!  They only wipe out living things, so your house will be left in perfect condition!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 09:03:35 AM »

This thread reminds me of old Science Fiction books where there is a small band of
people who survive the Holocaust and rebuild civilization.  Hogwash!  If you manage to
stay alive after the big one you are likely to be done in by some other stronger, nastier
survivor who will take what food and other goods you have collected and probably do
you in as well.
Remember the corner grocery won't be doing business as usual.
Allen
  This is why you need to become a survivalist, and be prepared!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »

In case of a nuke exchange, amateur radio will be at the bottom of my worries.
   Maybe so, but what happens if you survive?  You will definitely need communications.

Communications is going to be the least of your worries in a Nuclear war. Been watchin too many SiFi movies.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 11:16:51 AM »

Maybe so, but what happens if you survive?  You will definitely need communications.

Communications is going to be the least of your worries in a Nuclear war. Been watchin too many SiFi movies.
    LOL!  Maybe so, but what happens if we survive?  Can you imagine being one of the few Americans left?  Don't forget, because of his protection, Obama will probably be OK as well.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 11:46:38 AM »

LOL!  Maybe so, but what happens if we survive?  Can you imagine being one of the few Americans left?  Don't forget, because of his protection, Obama will probably be OK as well.

You would do better to invest in radiation detection, suits and exposure equipment than radio as it will be the real unseen silent enemy here. If it is a big exchange, unless you are in a deep bunker with lots of reserves to last up to a few years, you are likely to die a slow death for radiation or lack of safe food. It is only because that current nuke capable power understand that there is no winners with a nuke war that we have not had one. Biggest threat is from a terrorist group setting off a small dirty bomb with a limited area of damage and in this scenario ham radio really offers nothing.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »

It's so odd, after pearl harbor, we wanted revenge. Now it seems we want to roll over like dogs ,and take it .
If this attitude doesn't changes ,we are doomed, think about it?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 03:19:34 PM »

It's so odd, after pearl harbor, we wanted revenge. Now it seems we want to roll over like dogs ,and take it .

Pearl Harbor is peanuts next to nukes. You can level countries with conventional warfare and if you live you can rebuilt but with Nukes it is scorched earth. After blast and searing heat there is radiation which is far more deadly long term.

N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »

Pearl Harbor is peanuts next to nukes. You can level countries with conventional warfare and if you live you can rebuilt but with Nukes it is scorched earth. After blast and searing heat there is radiation which is far more deadly long term.
Did you know that over 100 Nukes, have been detonated in the USA , From 1945 to 1960 with few problems. Then we started detonating them in the atmosphere.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 10:16:15 PM »

Did you know that over 100 Nukes, have been detonated in the USA , From 1945 to 1960 with few problems. Then we started detonating them in the atmosphere.

If you call land that is still kinda worthless because of it nothing. They set off some many bombs in Nevada they might as well make it a nuke waste storage site.  There are also a few islands in pacific that are still uninhabitable

2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 12:32:25 AM »

Define "rolling over like dogs"? Certainly OBL was chased to his grave is that not revenge? And I would not compare 911 to The Day Of Infamy. It helps in an all out war to demonise the enemy and de-humanise them, however thats the last thing that is effective to have a decent and long-lasting peace.

http://www.george-orwell.org/Revenge_is_Sour/0.html

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 03:00:24 AM »

Define "rolling over like dogs"? Certainly OBL was chased to his grave is that not revenge?
I think N5RWJ was referring to those who said they would commit suicide in case of a nuclear attack.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »

That's a matter of opinion. But I usually don't bother with advice from no-name, no-call sign posters. Just a little quirk I have.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 08:10:37 AM »

When I worked at Honeywell in the late 60's, we had alot of ex-USAF folks on our civilian payroll.
One guy in my Department told me of the hazing procedure for folks who would fire the missiles.

After he completed his training, he had to climb onto and then sit on top of the loaded warhead in it's
silo for 10 minutes to prove that he had nerves of steel. Then, each two man firing crew had to take
an oath that they would shoot the other guy on duty if he went rogue. note: This hazing/oath ritual
was only done once, and never repeated again. note: Each guy had a loaded Colt .45acp pistol in a
shoulder holster just in case he had to shoot his teammate!
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 12:30:41 PM »

After he completed his training, he had to climb onto and then sit on top of the loaded warhead in it's
silo for 10 minutes to prove that he had nerves of steel.

Dr Strangelove all of a sudden popped in my head with that visual..

As I mentioned before I live in NNJ. If there ever were a "large exchange" I have absolutely nothing to worry about as I would be a glowing crispy critter. I'm guessing NNJ would be wiped off the map.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: