Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Nuclear booms Come?  (Read 44498 times)
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 07:37:18 AM »

If a nuclear exchange comes: (1) if there's a President left, who (2) has communications and cares what bands you use, and (3) electromagnetic pulse--EMP--hasn't fried your transceiver, and (4) you haven't been incinerated, and (5) you have power, food, and water, then (6) you can operate any darn where you please, since the FCC isn't going to worry about issuing you a NOV.  Besides, how is anybody on eHam going to know the answer? 

I'm sorry, but that was a very, very silly question--"Big Nuclear booms Come" indeed.  Humpf!

So, if big nuke goes boom boom, I talk talk anywhere I want.  Maybe the ARRL will have a new "Worked All Nuked States" Award for the wall in my shack?   

73, Tony
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 11:21:10 AM »

If a nuclear exchange comes: (1) if there's a President left, who (2) has communications and cares what bands you use, and (3) electromagnetic pulse--EMP--hasn't fried your transceiver, and (4) you haven't been incinerated, and (5) you have power, food, and water, then (6) you can operate any darn where you please, since the FCC isn't going to worry about issuing you a NOV.  Besides, how is anybody on eHam going to know the answer? 

I'm sorry, but that was a very, very silly question--"Big Nuclear booms Come" indeed.  Humpf!

So, if big nuke goes boom boom, I talk talk anywhere I want.  Maybe the ARRL will have a new "Worked All Nuked States" Award for the wall in my shack?   

73, Tony
   LOL!  That is true.  But the real question is...   What will the effect of so many nuclear explosions have on the ionosphere?  Will it alter the MUF?  Improve or hamper skip conditions on all the bands?  Remember, the sun is just one huge nuke, and just look at what it can do to our communications from 93,000,000 miles away!  Smiley
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 09:51:46 AM »

Despite the dramatic thread title:
"Big Nuclear Booms Come", a far, far more
likely radiologic emergency will come in the form
of a "dirty bomb", nuclear facility accident,
nuclear waste spill, etc.

Unless one is specifically told by officials to evacuate,
the prudent course of action is to stay indoors, DON't PANIC,
close all windows, and consume canned or other food
you have on hand.

Somewhat disturbing is the recent well executed study
which showed that upwards of 80% of nurses said
that they would NOT report to work in the event of
a radiologic incident (Dirty Bomb, waste spill, etc).

73, Ken  AD6KA, (RT) R
Registered Radiologic Technologist
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:06:12 PM by AD6KA » Logged
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 10:57:15 AM »

Despite the dramatic thread title:
"Big Nuclear Booms Come", a far, far more
likely radiologic emergency will come in the form
of a "dirty bomb", nuclear facility accident,
nuclear waste spill, etc.

Unless one is specifically told by officials to evacuate,
the prudent course of action is to stay indoors, DON't PANIC,
close all windows, and consume canned or other food
you have on hand.

Somewhat disturbing is the recent well executed study
which showed that upwards of 80% of nurses said
that they would NOT report to work in the event of
a radiologic incident (Dirty Bomb, wsste spill, etc).

73, Ken  AD6KA, (RT) R
Registered Radiologic Technologist
   Recommendations for breathing masks?  Water purification?  Length of time to remain indoors after the incident?
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »

@ On Air

Good question!

Too many variables to make any generalizations.
Severity of incident, distance from incident,
materials and isotopes involved, prevailing winds,
it goes on and on.

Monitoring public safety announcements is
probably your best bet....as well as getting ready
to get out of Dodge!  Grin
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 06:00:44 PM »

@ On Air

Good question!

Too many variables to make any generalizations.
Severity of incident, distance from incident,
materials and isotopes involved, prevailing winds,
it goes on and on.

Monitoring public safety announcements is
probably your best bet....as well as getting ready
to get out of Dodge!  Grin
   Perhaps going to Dodge would be the best option!  There is a map somewhere on the internet that indicates the probable targets for a nuclear attack.  Most seem to be near military installations, power plants, shipyards and the like.  It might soon be time to move to that ham shack out in the middle of nowhere! 
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 03:28:08 PM »

They shouldn't be as Minnie Nuclear booms in the USA, as it would have been during the cold war! So you should expect to survive. Now, how do you fight back?  Huh
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:49:25 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »

They shouldn't be as Minnie Nuclear booms in the USA, as it would have been during the cold war! So you should expect to survive. Now, how do you fight back? Angry
   I think I have found the solution.  You know how the Constitution allows Americans to bear arms?  How about allowing us to bear nuclear arms?  I mean, who the heck would bother to invade us, if they knew we each had one of those babies in our garages?  Now that's what I call deterrence!  Smiley
NM7L

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »

Hello...this is Lawrence...Lawrence, Kansas.

Is there anyone out there...anyone at all?
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »

Lawrence?   I was standing to the left of the camera when they were filming the refugee camp scene where people are lining up for food!

It was spooky just watching the filming.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2012, 05:57:02 AM »

A "dirty bomb" is not actually a nuclear explosion, but a conventional explosion used to spread bits of radioactive material....

Not necessarily.  There are dirty bombs made with conventional explosives such as you describe, more the kind of thing small terrorist groups may use, but there are dirty bombs such as the kind that are nuclear bombs that have been 'salted' with nuclear materials that have an extremely long half life.  Those type bombs have been made by nations with specific conditions in mind for their use, and have been (hopefully) abandoned and eliminated by those nations since the cold war has ended.  It is precisely those kind of bombs that have the militarists in our government scared--they think that Iran may be building such bombs to use against the US and its allies. 
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2012, 10:38:22 AM »

As long as Warrant Officer Ellen Ripley isn't currently in orbit holding the button we're probably good to go. That gal is high-strung...
 Cheesy

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »

A "dirty bomb" is not actually a nuclear explosion, but a conventional explosion used to spread bits of radioactive material....

Not necessarily.  There are dirty bombs made with conventional explosives such as you describe, more the kind of thing small terrorist groups may use, but there are dirty bombs such as the kind that are nuclear bombs that have been 'salted' with nuclear materials that have an extremely long half life.  Those type bombs have been made by nations with specific conditions in mind for their use, and have been (hopefully) abandoned and eliminated by those nations since the cold war has ended.  It is precisely those kind of bombs that have the militarists in our government scared--they think that Iran may be building such bombs to use against the US and its allies. 
    Actually, I read that some new generation bombs were designed to minimize residual radiation and fallout, presumably to allow ground forces to safely enter into the area soon after detonation. Then of course you have the neutron devices, which maximize radiation but minimize actual physical damage.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2012, 03:39:18 PM »

Hello...this is Lawrence...Lawrence, Kansas.

Is there anyone out there...anyone at all?
In that move Lawrence was ground zero for two bombs, if they can transmits, yes Hams are out there.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »

If a nuclear exchange comes: (1) if there's a President left, who (2) has communications and cares what bands you use, and (3) electromagnetic pulse--EMP--hasn't fried your transceiver, and (4) you haven't been incinerated, and (5) you have power, food, and water, then (6) you can operate any darn where you please, since the FCC isn't going to worry about issuing you a NOV.  Besides, how is anybody on eHam going to know the answer?  

I'm sorry, but that was a very, very silly question--"Big Nuclear booms Come" indeed.  Humpf!

So, if big nuke goes boom boom, I talk talk anywhere I want.  Maybe the ARRL will have a new "Worked All Nuked States" Award for the wall in my shack?  

73, Tony
  LOL!  That is true.  But the real question is...   What will the effect of so many nuclear explosions have on the ionosphere?  Will it alter the MUF?  Improve or hamper skip conditions on all the bands?  Remember, the sun is just one huge nuke, and just look at what it can do to our communications from 93,000,000 miles away!  Smiley
Just drop down to 600 meters, and your problem is solve, better get a antenna now.We will get an allocation a round 500 Khz this year.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:51:02 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: