Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Nuclear booms Come?  (Read 39466 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »

If a nuclear exchange comes: (1) if there's a President left, who (2) has communications and cares what bands you use, and (3) electromagnetic pulse--EMP--hasn't fried your transceiver, and (4) you haven't been incinerated, and (5) you have power, food, and water, then (6) you can operate any darn where you please, since the FCC isn't going to worry about issuing you a NOV.  Besides, how is anybody on eHam going to know the answer?  

I'm sorry, but that was a very, very silly question--"Big Nuclear booms Come" indeed.  Humpf!

So, if big nuke goes boom boom, I talk talk anywhere I want.  Maybe the ARRL will have a new "Worked All Nuked States" Award for the wall in my shack?  

73, Tony
  LOL!  That is true.  But the real question is...   What will the effect of so many nuclear explosions have on the ionosphere?  Will it alter the MUF?  Improve or hamper skip conditions on all the bands?  Remember, the sun is just one huge nuke, and just look at what it can do to our communications from 93,000,000 miles away!  Smiley
Just drop down to 600 meters, and your problem is solve, better get a antenna now.We will get an allocation a round 500 Khz this year.
   Good advice.  Any recommendations for a 500 Khz antenna?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »

Sure.  Just wait till after the boom.  If the power is out, just hook up to the electric lines coming into your house--if its still there, that is.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 03:35:26 PM »

Good advice.  Any recommendations for a 500 Khz antenna?

Sure.  Just wait till after the boom.  If the power is out, just hook up to the electric lines coming into your house--if its still there, that is.
*Some of us ,use QRP rig's powered from batteries or by the sun ;I suggest you try it, it's fun.*
Note: here is some info 500 khz antennawww.kluw.com/home.htm
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 04:32:09 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 06:41:12 PM »

LOL!  That is true.  But the real question is...   What will the effect of so many nuclear explosions have on the ionosphere?  Will it alter the MUF?  Improve or hamper skip conditions on all the bands?   Smiley

You can expect HF blackouts for perhaps 2-6 hours then improving conditions afterwards.  This is based on actual observations during dozens of open air tests in the 40's and 50's.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 09:10:30 PM »

If a nuclear exchange comes: (1) if there's a President left, who (2) has communications and cares what bands you use, and (3) electromagnetic pulse--EMP--hasn't fried your transceiver, and (4) you haven't been incinerated, and (5) you have power, food, and water, then (6) you can operate any darn where you please, since the FCC isn't going to worry about issuing you a NOV.  Besides, how is anybody on eHam going to know the answer?  

I'm sorry, but that was a very, very silly question--"Big Nuclear booms Come" indeed.  Humpf!

So, if big nuke goes boom boom, I talk talk anywhere I want.  Maybe the ARRL will have a new "Worked All Nuked States" Award for the wall in my shack?  

73, Tony
  LOL!  That is true.  But the real question is...   What will the effect of so many nuclear explosions have on the ionosphere?  Will it alter the MUF?  Improve or hamper skip conditions on all the bands?  Remember, the sun is just one huge nuke, and just look at what it can do to our communications from 93,000,000 miles away!  Smiley
Just drop down to 600 meters, and your problem is solve, better get a antenna now.We will get an allocation a round 500 Khz this year.

468/0.5 ...

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2012, 03:45:02 AM »

For info on the 600 meter band go here, www.w5jgv.com, find 500 watt Amp, 600 watt tuner,
And antennas for 600 meters, 500 kHz's For emergency comm.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:09:25 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »

Guess  where I am Pensacola,and Jacksonville would get hit . don't bother with Tallhasee captial, with rick scott already in shambles.  Grin kg4ymc
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »

Guess  where I am Pensacola,and Jacksonville would get hit . don't bother with Tallhasee captial, with rick scott already in shambles.  Grin kg4ymc
*** why do you think , it would be the the Russian's Nuclear Booms that come?***
I don't know ,but it seems to me that Terr's would try to put a Nuclear weapon on a boat ,and detonate in one of our ports.
If you're not in the Vic of that port, then your worry will be from fallout and EMP. likely target are Port of New york NY and Port of Houston Tx
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:03:49 AM by N5RWJ » Logged
KD0PBO

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 11:08:40 PM »

Just because I can...

Back in the Cold war arms race the Reds designed, built, and tested a 50 Megaton nuke in the dead of Siberia. The resulting shockwave circuled the earth a total of 3 times!! Tsar Bomba aka King of Bombs as it was called, was originally designed to be a 100 Megaton, aircraft deployable airburst device supposedly intended to vaporize, not destroy, VAPORIZE a city near the size of Long Island NY in just a few tenths of a second...talk about spine chilling.

Luckily the Soviets never got around to building the full-scale 100mt...or at least we don't think they did..

All past cold war nuke scare thoughts aside, I'm personally more worried about some sort of doomsday pandemic wiping out 70% of our population Shocked Its more likely than an all out nuclear war IMHO.

KD0PBO
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »

Just because I can...

Back in the Cold war arms race the Reds designed, built, and tested a 50 Megaton nuke in the dead of Siberia. The resulting shockwave circuled the earth a total of 3 times!! Tsar Bomba aka King of Bombs as it was called, was originally designed to be a 100 Megaton, aircraft deployable airburst device supposedly intended to vaporize, not destroy, VAPORIZE a city near the size of Long Island NY in just a few tenths of a second...talk about spine chilling.

Luckily the Soviets never got around to building the full-scale 100mt...or at least we don't think they did..

All past cold war nuke scare thoughts aside, I'm personally more worried about some sort of doomsday pandemic wiping out 70% of our population Shocked Its more likely than an all out nuclear war IMHO.

KD0PBO
    That was half a century ago, right around the time of Sputnik!  I'm sure that by now they, or we, or someone, has gotten around to building a 500mt device, even if it's just to get more bang for the buck!  If you can just manage to get away from the target of one of those babys, you might be able to get your emcom station up and running.  Probably won't be too many hams left to chat with, but just think about how nice it would be to DX those really distant islands using only QRP, with zero pile ups!  Smiley
KD0PBO

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »

That was half a century ago, right around the time of Sputnik!  I'm sure that by now they, or we, or someone, has gotten around to building a 500mt device, even if it's just to get more bang for the buck!   [/quote]

Haha..so true!! 500mt would be a huge @$$ bang!!!  Shocked

[/quote]   If you can just manage to get away from the target of one of those babys, you might be able to get your emcom station up and running.  Probably won't be too many hams left to chat with, but just think about how nice it would be to DX those really distant islands using only QRP, with zero pile ups!  Smiley[/quote]

Lol..i can imagine it now! Workin' the world on 500mW!!  Cheesy
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2012, 11:52:17 AM »

That was half a century ago, right around the time of Sputnik!  I'm sure that by now they, or we, or someone, has gotten around to building a 500mt device, even if it's just to get more bang for the buck!   

Haha..so true!! 500mt would be a huge @$$ bang!!!  Shocked

[/quote]   If you can just manage to get away from the target of one of those babys, you might be able to get your emcom station up and running.  Probably won't be too many hams left to chat with, but just think about how nice it would be to DX those really distant islands using only QRP, with zero pile ups!  Smiley[/quote]

Lol..i can imagine it now! Workin' the world on 500mW!!  Cheesy
[/quote]         500Mw?  Try 100Mw!  I can get my old CB Walkie Talkie out of the attic, convert it to 10 Meters, and work the world with just my 9 volt battery and telescopic whip!  Smiley
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »

Getting the QSL card may be difficult!

"If you can just manage to get away from the target of one of those babys, you might be able to get your emcom station up and running.  Probably won't be too many hams left to chat with, but just think about how nice it would be to DX those really distant islands using only QRP, with zero pile ups!"
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »

look out for Iran?
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 11:22:15 PM »

I would just watch all the nuclear armageddon TV shows and see what the did.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: