Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Nuclear booms Come?  (Read 40936 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2012, 08:58:35 AM »

Israel is going nuts trying to protect them selfs ,from a posable/certain chemical attack. Now where will a full chemical attack, on Israel take the world?
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2012, 12:26:03 PM »

It has been said that those who keep the security of this country (the US) in the forefront of everyones mind are the only reason that this country and the rest of the free world hasn't been overrun by all sorts of malcontents.

It can also be said that those same "security keepers" ARE the malcontents.  These days, the only thing that about 95 percent of the world's population want is to live in peace with the rest of the world,  It is the five percent who still insist on playing the 'we must be secure' card that is causing the turmoil that the rest of the world has to guard against.

a pinch of this and a touch of that, and you have a government.  as in dieting, balance and moderation is the key to keeping one sane.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »

And no one sane is running any government today. The inmates are running the asylum.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »

Israel is going nuts trying to protect them selfs ,from a posable/certain chemical attack. Now where will a full chemical attack, on Israel take the world?
  A chemical attack would pale in comparison to a biological WMD attack. Some of those bugs have no treatment options or antidotes, and could continue to spread throughout a population long after the actual attack is over.  In today's highly mobile world, this type of biological epidemic could quickly spread worldwide.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »

....The inmates are running the asylum.

Bingo.  That is the case in most of them today.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2012, 10:12:03 PM »

"Just a reminder that there are no immediate credible nuclear threats against the US presently"

Oh really?

"In 2001 I, as the President of the Russian Federation and the supreme commander, deemed it advantageous to withdraw the radio-electronic center Lourdes from Cuba. In exchange for this, George Bush, the then U.S. president, has assured me that this decision would become the final confirmation that the Cold War was over and both of our states, getting rid of the relics of the Cold War, will start building a new relationship based on cooperation and transparency. In particular, Bush has convinced me that the U.S. missile defense system will never be deployed in Eastern Europe.

The Russian Federation has fulfilled all terms of the agreement. And even more. I shut down not only the Cuban Lourdes but also Kamran in Vietnam. I shut them down because I gave my word of honor. I, like a man, has kept my word. What have the Americans done? The Americans are not responsible for their own words. It is no secret that in recent years, the U.S. created a buffer zone around Russia, involving in this process not only the countries of Central Europe, but also the Baltic states, Ukraine and the Caucasus. The only response to this could be an asymmetric expansion of the Russian military presence abroad, particularly in Cuba. In Cuba, there are convenient bays for our reconnaissance and warships, a network of the so-called "jump airfields." With the full consent of the Cuban leadership, on May 11 of this year, our country has not only resumed work in the electronic center of Lourdes, but also placed the latest mobile strategic nuclear missiles "Oak" on the island. They did not want to do it the amicable way, now let them deal with this," Putin said.

http://english.pravda.ru/russia/politics/01-08-2012/121804-russia_army_base-0/
As the old Russian saying goes:
"Pravda nyet Izvestia, Izvestia nyet Pravda" or The News isn't The Truth and The Truth isn't News.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »

Just a reminder that there are no immediate credible nuclear threats against the US presently.

-North Korea, can't reliably detonate a bomb.  The've had two 2kton fizzles.  They have no missile capable of reaching the US.

-Iran, no bomb, no missile.

-Al Qaida, no bomb, no missile, no leader, no money
no other countries represent philosophical enemies.

**I you are still intent on scarying yourself silly, then at least make a foil hat and cod piece!
     North Korea could potentially deliver a bomb in a shipping container or on a fishing boat.  Iran could buy a bomb from cash strapped North Korea, or even comrades in Pakistan.  AlQaeda might be just weeks away from seizing chemical or biological weapons inside Syria.  The military does its best to never underestimate the potential tactics or capabilities of adversaries.
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2012, 06:33:03 AM »

IF you survive....and IF you feel a need to try and communicate via radio...most of you forgot one thing. Most if not all of the solid state gear will be toast from the EMP...so you guys into the tube gear will be able to communicate but the guys with modern gear will most likely have very expensive paperweights. Besides, if the big one comes, the last thing Id be worried about is amateur radio..or any radio for that matter.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »

IF you survive....and IF you feel a need to try and communicate via radio...most of you forgot one thing. Most if not all of the solid state gear will be toast from the EMP...so you guys into the tube gear will be able to communicate but the guys with modern gear will most likely have very expensive paperweights. Besides, if the big one comes, the last thing Id be worried about is amateur radio..or any radio for that matter.
   Glad I kept my HE-20C!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2012, 04:00:17 AM »

....Besides, if the big one comes, the last thing Id be worried about is amateur radio..or any radio for that matter.

Now, that is the first really sensible thing said here.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2012, 05:31:13 AM »

North Korea could potentially deliver a bomb in a shipping container or on a fishing boat.  Iran could buy a bomb from cash strapped North Korea, or even comrades in Pakistan.  AlQaeda might be just weeks away from seizing chemical or biological weapons inside Syria.  The military does its best to never underestimate the potential tactics or capabilities of adversaries.
Could, maybe, If.

No military can protect against all "potential" threats.  Threats must be evaluated for credibility and likelihood.

Again, we have no indication that N. Korea can properly fire a nuclear weapon.
-We have no indication they have weaponized a nuke.

-The US Navy does not have a blockade around the US searching every ship for N. Korean nukes.  If they are not taking active measures, why should any ham act like a fool preparing for a nuclear attack from N. Korea?

-Pakistan is our ally.  We have no indication they have lost control of their nuclear arsenal or are seeking to sell them.

-Al Qaeda has never demonstrated the ability to build or buy weapons of mass destruction for use in the US.

Again, there is no credible, imminent threat of mass destruction that threatens society in the US.    There is no reason for people to act like a chicken with the sky falling!
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2012, 08:01:21 PM »

Who is running around like a chicken? All we are saying (is give peace a chance lol) is there are mean men in control of very nasty weapons who would probably nook us if they could get away with it. I am surprised NK and Iran and the rest don't just buy their nooks from Russia or China ... or Pakistan. Probably save a lot of money that way rather than trying to roll their own and they could more easily avoid war brought on by their insistance on building their own. Who knows, mebbe they have?

http://www.wnd.com/2005/05/30113/

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »

Could, maybe, If.

No military can protect against all "potential" threats.  Threats must be evaluated for credibility and likelihood.

Again, we have no indication that N. Korea can properly fire a nuclear weapon.
-We have no indication they have weaponized a nuke.

-The US Navy does not have a blockade around the US searching every ship for N. Korean nukes.  If they are not taking active measures, why should any ham act like a fool preparing for a nuclear attack from N. Korea?

-Pakistan is our ally.  We have no indication they have lost control of their nuclear arsenal or are seeking to sell them.

-Al Qaeda has never demonstrated the ability to build or buy weapons of mass destruction for use in the US.

Again, there is no credible, imminent threat of mass destruction that threatens society in the US.    There is no reason for people to act like a chicken with the sky falling!

I suppose you think things can't be hidden from us?  I accept that our intelligence services are good, but if a nation-state chose to hide something, it may well be a while before we get wind of it.

You speak of Pakistan being an ally, but after the job we pulled in secrecy to get Bin Laden--going into Pakistan without letting their government know--do you really think they're going to totally co-operate with us?

How about the terrorist acts that took down the WTC, took out part of the Pentagon, and almost got the White House?  Oh, yeah, we knew that they were going to happen....

The point that I'm trying to make is this.  If another nation or group chose to really hide something, they could probably hide it long enough to strike at us without us knowing.  WE'VE BEEN LUCKY.
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2012, 11:45:33 AM »

Nuclear attacks are more survivable than you think, if you're outside the immediate blast zone. Fallout is highly radioactive - the good news is that it decays pretty quickly.

And have some potassium iodide on hand too.  Grin

I have it on hand.
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/EmergencyPreparedness/BioterrorismandDrugPreparedness/ucm072265.htm
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2012, 04:09:07 AM »

If the fallout includes certain elements, it could well have a half life of thousands of years.  That isn't 'pretty quickly' at all. 
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: