Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-2000 and APRS  (Read 4808 times)
W0PPD

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2006, 04:20:28 PM »

Hello,

I have some questions concerning the TS-2000 and APRS.

While I have used the TH-D7AG ht and gps and mapsource software without any problems, I appear to be having difficulty with the TS-2000 and software.

Anyone out there running a TS-2000 and APRS ? If so what would be the best APRS software to use ? Possible freeware, and why. Are there maps with what you are using.

Please feel free to advise me why you like or dislike certain software and features, and which one setup well to work with the TS-2000.

Any and all input would be deeply appriciated.

James - W0PPD
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 05:06:35 AM »

UiView works great!

Dennis KG4RUL
W0PPD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 05:46:41 PM »

Well, UiView is not working for me. I have tried all settings and it just starts keying the main band and hangs up. Also notice that the Sta and Con lights never flash or come on.

I have the internal tnc set for 9600 baud, sub band and packet operation turned on in the radio. Settings in Ui-View match the above parameters.

I am at a loss. Any help her guys ?

de W0PPD

KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 12:58:28 AM »

I accept that I have some ignorance of the TS-2000, so I am not sure which part of the connection for the internal TNC is set to 9600. APRS packets are put on the air at 2400 in the VHF band, though the TNC and your computer need to speak at a common speed, which may be 9600. Most GPS receivers send and receive NEMA strings at 4800. I presume you are getting your own position from your gps receiver in UiView though so that should not be the problem.

You may be able to send at 9600 in the UHF bands, but I haven't been using that yet. (Not even sure there are digipeaters or a gateway around here for UHF.)

If you are planning on doing APRS in HF on the TS-2000, the speed gets knocked down even further to 300 baud.

Some of these may automatically be bing handled by the radio though. In that case it is the TNC to PC link that has to be 9600 (or some other common speed).

Another thing looking at the radio at Kenwood that comes to mind, is the tnc set up to do connected transfers or disconnected. APRS is not using a connected mode transfer, so it may not be accepting any packets it would receive as valid.

Obviously I don't know what all you have checked, so if nothing above helps, I'll be happy to throw out some more random thoughts...

-Rusty - kc0vcu
KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 01:30:34 AM »

A correction, aprs in VHF is sent at 1200, not 2400.

-Rusty - kc0vcu
W0PPD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 05:48:54 PM »

Rusty,

Many thanks! Your random pitching of ideas did the trick.

TS-2000 com port needs to be set at 9600 baud, however, despite Kenwoods' advice, once I reset the cms file for 1200 baud, set the internal tnc to 1200 baud this dog walked ! Many thanks to all who worked with me and Rusty again thank you for all the great ideas.

73, and God Bless

James - W0PPD
G6XCJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:39:13 AM »

BUT DOES IT WORK?

Kenwoods have just told me that the TS-2000 is not designed for use with APRS/UIV?

And, after a week of 24/7 testing i have very reluctantly to agree. There are no entries for the Tasco Radio Modem for a start... there so many ifs and buts that i am truly fed up.
VA3ACZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 06:50:33 PM »

I was able to use the ARCS II software with the ts-2000 internal TNC to decode APRS packets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: