The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LA4VSA takes General and passes!  (Read 2808 times)
LA4VSA

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:26:34 PM »

Hello eHam!!   Grin

I am an American kid from WI (45yo).  I moved to Holland in 2002 and was lucky enough to marry a Dutch girl in 2007.  We moved to Norway together in 2008 and stayed there until 2012. 

While I was in Norway, I took a radio course (yes, in Norwegian) to work on my language skills doing something I was interested in.  The course was great and really helped strengthen my informal spoken and written Norwegian.  And it got me into QRP operating, and esp. when camping in remote places.  Then it was back to Holland in 2012 where the QRP camping trips ended, and I hated work for four years. 

Fast forward and we moved to the USA (I moved back) with our kids near the end of 2016.  Work is pretty great again. 

Well, I started to feel the bug again this summer.   And after a long delay, I finally got around to unpacking my 'shack', rigging my stealth wire, and listening to see what I could hear from my home in Pittsburgh.  And after about three hours of listening, I knew I needed to get official in the USA.  I wanted to grab the key so badly it hurt. 

So I studied, and I took my Tech and General this past weekend and passed with strength and confidence.  My Norwegian course was pretty good, I think.   

I am just waiting for the FCC to make me official.  I have to say, it's great to be daydreaming about radio again.  And it's great to be reading eHam again!  And great to be practicing CW sending and receiving again.  Gosh, I missed the sound.

Just wanted to say thanks...and HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT?!  Ha ha.

Sincerely,
jay
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 01:56:42 PM »

Just wanted to say thanks...and HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT?!  Ha ha.

It depends on how quickly your examiners and their VEC process your paperwork, and get you into the FCC database. If you want, you can visit http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/ and click on Search Licenses, then look for your name in the FCC database. As soon as you have a call sign in the FCC database, you can use your new call sign straight away. You don't have to wait for any paperwork to arrive, but - if you want paperwork - you can register with the FCC ULS database and download an official PDF copy of your license once it has been generated.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 03:59:01 PM »

If you want, after you get the callsign, you could ask for a vanity callsign say WA4VSA
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »

Jay...what a great story....I live in Pittsburgh.....once u get ur call sign, join us on the 146.880 repeater.....what took you to Norway and the Netherlands?.....and what brings you here?.....congrats on passing the test......where did you take it?.....look us up when you are hooked in....

Vince P
K3NRX

KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 05:04:21 PM »

As soon as you have a call sign in the FCC database, you can use your new call sign straight away. You don't have to wait for any paperwork to arrive...

No "paperwork" will arrive unless he specifically requested a paper license record when he filled out his Form 605 when he took his license exams. The FCC stopped routinely send paper licenses two years ago.

As noted, his "license" (authorization to transmit) is the record in the Universal Licensing System (ULS), and if he wants a paper record he (or anyone else) can download a pdf-file "Reference Copy" from the ULS, or he can log into the ULS and download a pdf-file "Official Copy".

He also --after-the-fact-- can request an "Official Copy" from the FCC, but what they send him will be a printout on plain white paper that indistinguishable from what he'll have if he downloads and prints a pdf-file "Official Copy" from the ULS himself.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »

As soon as you have a call sign in the FCC database, you can use your new call sign straight away. You don't have to wait for any paperwork to arrive...

No "paperwork" will arrive unless he specifically requested a paper license record when he filled out his Form 605 when he took his license exams. The FCC stopped routinely send paper licenses two years ago.

As noted, his "license" (authorization to transmit) is the record in the Universal Licensing System (ULS), and if he wants a paper record he (or anyone else) can download a pdf-file "Reference Copy" from the ULS, or he can log into the ULS and download a pdf-file "Official Copy".

He also --after-the-fact-- can request an "Official Copy" from the FCC, but what they send him will be a printout on plain white paper that indistinguishable from what he'll have if he downloads and prints a pdf-file "Official Copy" from the ULS himself.

The is nothing on the NCVEC Form 605 that allows an applicant to request a paper copy of their license.  That must be done by logging into their ULS record and changing their preferences there.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 06:37:18 PM »

The is nothing on the NCVEC Form 605 that allows an applicant to request a paper copy of their license.  That must be done by logging into their ULS record and changing their preferences there.

Thanks for the correction.
I thought there was a check-box on the form.
But ULS isn't the only means of requesting a paper license record.

I should have said:

No "paperwork" will arrive unless he specifically requests a paper license record by contacting FCC Support via the web, by telephone (1-877-480-3201) or by mail to a request paper license.

http://www.arrl.org/obtain-license-copy
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 12:43:31 AM »

Welcome home and congratulations

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: