The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARE THERE STILL PLACES WHERE HAM LICENSES CAN BE BOUGHT W/O TEST  (Read 91579 times)
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2017, 06:39:36 AM »

Sigh...

Every time I read threads like this I feel completely unwanted by my peers. Or perhaps that I am not a peer. After all I could never live up to the example of the glory days- at least that seems to be the presupposition of the "old guys".

You guys might want to consider that there in fact are many high quality hams who passed recent exams- but that they choose to stay far away from you.

Food for thought.

I agree.  The elitism exhibited by some hams is unfortunate. I think anybody who at any time has passed the amateur radio exam has a right to feel proud of his accomplishment.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2017, 03:00:50 PM »

[quote author=W9ZIM link=topic=79223.msg1001512#msg1001512 date=1496497176

I agree.  The elitism exhibited by some hams is unfortunate. I think anybody who at any time has passed the amateur radio exam has a right to feel proud of his accomplishment.
[/quote]

Oh, I'd estimate that passing the Extra is roughly equal to 4 credits of coursework in college.  Where most classes in college are 3 credits, and you need 120 credits to graduate in a 4 year program. 
SM0AOM

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2017, 11:26:56 AM »

Even the FCC Extra is elementary in comparison to the proper European interpretation of the HAREC Curriculum, such as in Germany.

The highest class (A) there has an exam consisting of 120 difficult questions, and as an example in the regulations part you are expected to know both international and national Telecommunications Laws.

Trying to assign some college or university credit equivalent to the Extra exam is difficult at best, as the course contents and teaching methods can be expected to be quite different.

Looking back at my own studies in the 70's, where MSEE students were expected to put in about 1600 hours per academic year resulting in 40 "old credits" or 40 h/credit.

The "new credits" correspond to about 30 h/credit and 30 credits per semester and a current MSEE programme is expected to take 5 years resulting in 300 credits.

Trying to scale the European credit system to the US would make one US credit approximately equal to 2 European. If the Extra course and exam should equal 8 EU credits, it would roughly correspond in difficulty and extent to the current course in Engineering Electromagnetics which is 220 h total.
I doubt this.

Regarding "elitism", the sole reasons for our vast privileges are that we are supposed to form just a  well-educated elite among radio hobbyists.
As long as we are perceived as such in the eyes of the regulators we might keep our privileges.

For those that do not want to learn anything or put in any effort, there are other frequency bands.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2017, 11:38:47 AM »

There is no profit in honesty, ethics or standards. I shall die a poor man.

Back to the paddle.

_ _ ... ... _ _

Kraus
K2ACB

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »

Years ago in New York City I met a ham from a Central American country I had worked on hf. He told me that his whole family including his wife and children had amateur radio licenses. I asked him if they had all taken the test to get a license. He told me that he had gone to the local amateur radio licensing authority and bought the radio amateur licenses and call signs for his family. They never took a test. Whether that still applies in this country today,I do not know.

I also know of one country in the Middle East ,again this is a number of years ago, where if someone had a degree from a recognized University in electrical engineering,all that was required to get a radio amateur license was to take the required cw test.

I did hear years ago that buying amateur radio licenses without taking an exam in some South American,Central American and Caribbean countries was rampant. Again whether that occurs today ,I do not know.

I do know there was a scandal a number of years ago when it came to certain DXpeditions. Licensed radio amateurs ffrom the USA and other countries went to some exotic DX countries especially in Africa and in the Pacific area to operate dx. These DXpeditions never got proper authorization to operate from the licensing authorities from these countries. The DX operators still carried on with the DXpedition even though it was not authorized by the local government.

The end result was the ARRL refused to recognize the qsl cards received from the DXpeditions for DXCC confirmation purposes.

Alan-K2ACB
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:56:33 AM by K2ACB » Logged
SM0AOM

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2017, 11:01:09 PM »

I also know of one country in the Middle East ,again this is a number of years ago, where if someone had a degree from a recognized University in electrical engineering,all that was required to get a radio amateur license was to take the required cw test.

This was not too uncommon some years ago.

Several countries recognised the military or commercial radiotelegraph operator's certificates as equivalent to the highest class of amateur licence.
The only thing that an applicant had to do in order to get an amateur callsign was to sign a declaration that the rules and regulations were understood.

Finally, I find the general idea of both requiring a Morse test and an EE degree for getting an amateur licence very appealing...

N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2017, 08:44:01 PM »

There is no profit in honesty, ethics or standards. I shall die a poor man.

QSL 59+

PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2017, 05:53:22 PM »

I'm not sure I understand this.  How would you buy your license?  Back in the old days or now I'm not sure I even get this.   
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2017, 09:40:39 PM »

Dah! What do you think ?
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »

Well here is what I think.  IF at ANYTIME you could BUY your license you can stop right in your boot tracks.  The whole system is now suspect of some type of wrong doing.  NONE of you people have ANY credibility until you prove you didn't buy your License.  PROVE you didn't BUY your License.   
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »

THIS IS WD8T

You posted this as if you were asking a question yet told us about licenses being purchased.  Not sure I understand this. Are you a whistle bolwer looking for some validation or support?

VECs have been selling licenses and handing them out to their good buddies for years and years.  Nothing new there.

The fact that we still pretend an amateur radio license is even the least bit challenging and some special accomplishment is testiment to our ignorance of the state of our own hobby.      Pretty sad indeed.

PLANKEYE

I looked back over this thread and WD8T kinda hit me a little bit.  He said VECs have been selling licenses for years and years.  OK I understand what he is saying but what I don't understand is this.  Why do folks pretend that this hobby is some special accomplishment?  I see it here and I hear it on the air.     Pretty sad indeed.   

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2017, 10:03:27 PM »

Well here is what I think.  IF at ANYTIME you could BUY your license you can stop right in your boot tracks.  The whole system is now suspect of some type of wrong doing.  NONE of you people have ANY credibility until you prove you didn't buy your License.  PROVE you didn't BUY your License.   

Wow, conspiracy guys are always going to find an conspiracy. Nobody has to prove anything to you and nobody cares that you are suspicious.

How about you prove you have a high school diploma that you didn't pay for. Come on now, some people have graduated high school in dubious ways so now we can't trust that YOUR diploma is real. Get it?
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »

To answer the original question, if you look hard enough and want to stoop that low, yes you can find someone that you can buy. 
Art
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »

I didn't bring this up and I can't find any forums that brag about how folks got their HS diploma. I don't care if you paid for your High School deal or your Ham License.  As long as your nice on the Air and on here It's all good.  Maybe somehow or someday you folks will understand this.   
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »

N9AOP

To answer the original question, if you look hard enough and want to stoop that low, yes you can find someone that you can buy.
Art

PLANKEYE

Buying a ham radio license is a option I just have to look hard enough?  Ok I get it the FCC would have a hard time enforcing this buying a license deal.   But when you are on the air with the license you BOUGHT and do all kinds of crazy things where is the FCC?  Kinda like if your family member was ran down by a person driving a car that bought his or her license and the police didn't show up.  It doesn't work.  We need enforcement of the rules already in place. 
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: