Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question about talking on a repeater  (Read 2019 times)
KD2BDG

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »

I have a new radio. I bought a Wouxun Kg-UVD1P. So i programmed the TX and RX and the PL. After i key my mic and let go i hear the feedback form the repeater and the automated voice the identifies the repeater. But noone can seem to hear me. I also have a scanner and i can't hear myself on the rx frequency of the repeater that im trying to transmit on.
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 07:34:02 PM »

Seems clear you've proven the radio or mike has a problem.
It's putting out the RF carrier but your not able to apply audio from the mike.
Warranty time or have someone look at the problem for you to determine why..
Good luck.
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 06:46:50 PM »

Try it on simplex.  Make sure the offset is off, no tones etc and see if you can be heard or listen to your own audio. My guess is operator error.  That's usually my problem, not the transceiver, although possible. I have the same radio and they can be a bit difficult to program.  Cheers, Scott.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 02:12:35 PM »

Most likely you are overloading the local receiver, and not hearing the repeater while you are transmitting.

It is also possible to key up a repeater, and still be too weak to be copiable, especially if the repeater has
any desense problems.

Pete
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 04:39:46 PM »

As KG6BRG noted, try a simplex frequency (no tones, etc.) and make sure the audio input is working correctly on the radio. You can even plug in an FRS or GMRS frequency and test to one of those radios, if you have one.

For your sanity's sake, use the KG-UV Commander software to do the programming. Using the software, be sure to set the correct RX and TX frequencies, and the "Encode" PL tone (NOT the Decode tone - unless of course your repeater uses one, which is quite rare).

If this doesn't work, you probably just don't have enough power to break the squelch on the repeater. You'll need a better antenna (I've had great luck with a $12 Nagoya NBA-771) or get closer to the repeater.
WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:22:16 AM »

Do you hear other stations on the repeater?     Repeaters are not used like they were in the past.  I could be that no one is around.   Some of the repeaters I hear here, I've never heard anyone on them.   One ham out in Colorado told me that he has a mountain top repeater that no one has used in a year.

I agree that your transmitter could be blocking your scanner, most scanners are not designed to work in a high RF environment.   As suggested, see if you can hear yourself with the scanner either simplex or on your transmit frequency.   

Find a repeater that has someone talking on it.   When they finish a contact, call one of them and ask for a check.

Good luck,
Ken WA8JXM
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:14:56 PM »

Have you tried with both CTCSS on & off on the Wouxun?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: