Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HTX-100 Transmit Sound Problem  (Read 3087 times)
KF5MYS

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »

Hey all. Just got my tech license and wanted to jump into 10 meters with an old Realistic HTX-100. The receive audio sounds great, and I was able to contact a Ten-Ten special event station in New Hampshire...kind of. He was able to copy the first three letters of my call, but he said the whole transmission sounded muddled like I was talking into a sock or something. I've also noticed I've heard this myself when I have headphones on and hear myself. Could this just be the old mic or a more serious issue with the radio itself? Thanks for any help!  Smiley
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 04:24:22 AM »

If you can find someone with an 8 pin Kenwood mic and a second receiver, have them check the audio quality with a known good mic.  If the quality is o.k. then you have a bad microphone.

KU4UV
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »

Yep, it's most likely the mike.  You may need to get a replacement element or mike, or wire up a new one.  Lots of info. on the HTX-100 is available online.
KF5MYS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 11:38:37 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I'm now on the hunt for a new mike.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 12:22:54 PM »

Just wire a dynamic mic if you have one. I got sick of wiring new mics, so I wired everything as 4 pin Cobras, and got adapter connectors. Saved me a ton of time resoldering. The HR-2510 was a great local rag chew radio, and a 10M DX radio. Now is the prefect time for them. Better than any Magnum or Ranger crap. Not much power, though.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 08:14:38 AM »

Just wire a dynamic mic if you have one. I got sick of wiring new mics, so I wired everything as 4 pin Cobras, and got adapter connectors. Saved me a ton of time resoldering. The HR-2510 was a great local rag chew radio, and a 10M DX radio. Now is the prefect time for them. Better than any Magnum or Ranger crap. Not much power, though.
   Yep, they are both great 10 Meters radios for the price!  I have been hearing lots of them on 10 Meters lately.  Rewiring mikes can be annoying, so it might be easier for him to just replace the mike element.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: