Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna IN the wall  (Read 4033 times)
WA8JNM

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2011, 07:04:27 PM »

Just settled in the new condo, and no time yet to put up a stealth antenna, although I have lots of ideas. The prior owner had 5 channel surround tv in the finished basement, with speaker wire inside the walls. Just for grins, I hooked up an end to the rig, threw down a 20 foot counterpoise on the floor, and put an old Dentron Supertuner on it. I was amazed that I could load each band from 40 to 15. I actually got a reply on 20 running 10 watts. Now I know this is no real antenna solution, but I'm curious if this is safe. Will 10 watts burn the place down? 100 watts?

Dave
AE6ZW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 07:51:12 PM »

I did something similar for many years,  operated at 100 wts or less.   anything from rain gutter to un-used coax cable.  I did well too,   back then hardly any one had computers so noise as less, but most had CRT TV, so they bothered me some. 
I used artificial GND from MFJ when I lived at 2nd floor.   
KF4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 03:14:40 AM »

Dave,

Do not do it. 

Even at 5 watts you can have voltages over 1000 RMS.  You do not know what is behind the wall, the wiring conditions and cannot readily see if an issue is occurring.  Chances are you will be OK.  On the other hand, something could happen.  Not worth the risk of yours and your neighbors' lives.

v/r

Jerry
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:15:44 AM »

1000V would assume at some point along the line there existed a 2meg Ohm point (current minima) . Even thin wire end fed antennas in free space seldom get over 4K when resonant. How did you come up with 1000V? Just curious.

Dale W4OP
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 09:35:17 AM »

A 200K impedance would give you 1000V at 5W. Even so, I wouldn't do it because you never know what's inside the walls or how the wire is run. For example, it could by laying against a metal electrical box with insulation paper nearby.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 09:18:07 AM »

I'm not sure about running it in the walls - without knowing what else you had in there, etc. When we were renting a townhouse for a few years I had access to my attic. There was nothing up there - no metal (aside from roofing nails), no ducts, no electrical wiring, nothing. I had up there a loop which was basically ran around the rafters and I was able to load it up 80-10. I also had a 6m dipole and a 2 meter beam. The access hatch was right outside the room where I had my station. I stored the "supplied" hatch and made my own with cutouts for the ladderline, coax, etc. I simply put back the original hatch when we moved and removed my antennas. It wasn't by any means the greatest antenna but when the propagation was there I've worked into places such as Chagos Island, New Zealand or Japan on 100w to name a few. On 6m I made a handful of meteor scatter QSO's as well as a QSO into Spain! Not too bad for an indoor attic loop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: