Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4:1 Balun - but which is good?  (Read 1357 times)
MW1CFN

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:35:48 PM »

Having exhausted myself getting to grips with antennae, I've decided to have a go at building a Windom (let's not have a debate about that choice!)

Other than the obvious answer of 'why not make your own'?, which commercial 4:1 baluns are well-made and don't cost a small fortune?  There are lots out there, but once you look at reviews here, very few seem to be particularly good, and some expensive ones seem quite poor!

Any help gratefully recieved.

J.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 01:35:59 AM »

For my homebrewed windoms (Len Carlson K4IWL- A winning antenna) design off the internet,I bought the MFJ 4:1 balun (low power) and 1:1 line isolator and coated the connections with liquid rubber. These antennas (I have 2) have been up for about 3 yrs.without any problems,however,as I am an avid QRP/DX guy   I seldom put out more than 5 watts on these antennas I have no practical experience with running consistant high power to these MFJ balun/isolators.

73  Jim
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:08:38 AM by W1JKA » Logged
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:10:21 AM »

I have nothing but high praise for the Baluns and 4:1 Ununs made by Balun Design.  They are not the least expensive, but they are definitely the best I have ever used. In the case of Balun Design products, you really do get what you pay for. 

John W5JON
K3RE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »

I have nothing but high praise for the Baluns and 4:1 Ununs made by Balun Design.  They are not the least expensive, but they are definitely the best I have ever used. In the case of Balun Design products, you really do get what you pay for. 

John W5JON

Let me agree 100% with John. Nothing but a super quality product and quick, personal & knowledgeable service.
KC5CQW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »

MFJ-10-10989D $29.95.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 07:43:47 PM »

Another vote for Balun Designs.  Excellent customer service and help over the phone, plus they honor the refund.  Simply superb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: