Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building ham shack  (Read 3007 times)
KK4BXO

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2011, 01:30:09 PM »

New ham that is building my "ham shack". Presently I have a FT-950 that is powered by an Astron RS-35M. Local ham communication by club members is done via 2m,and I am getting tired of running out to the car to use my 2m,and the HT doesn't quite have the power. So,I want to have 2m access in the home,but I wanted to get advice about power supply. Do you see any problem with hooking up the 2m radio to the Astron,if I am not using it and the FT 950 at the same time.
SM6XUN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »

Given you will never talk into both microphones at the same time,
there will be no problem powering both radios with a single Astron supply.

Welcome "on the air"  Smiley
KK4BXO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 02:14:13 PM »

Thanks for the reply. It is not likely I would talk on both,but I am giving some thought on a power supply for 2m mobile,but I don't want to buy another Astron. Any recommendations on a less expensive power supply that would be good for a 50w mobile? A smaller foot print would be ideal.
KJ1D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 05:24:41 PM »

Should be no problem. I had two radios hooked up to a single power supply and as you stated just never used them both at the same time.
W0TLP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »

I have a Powerwerx SS-30DV power supply and am quite happy with it. It has a small footprint and handles 25 amps continuous  and 30 amps peak. It has Anderson Powerpole connectors built in, so it's perfect to put in a field kit. There are other models that are small and have the Powerpoles.

As SM6XUN mentioned, the power supply you have should handle both radios as long as you don't transmit on both at the same time, which I wouldn't think is likely unless you're running digital and phone at the same time on different bands. You could still listen on one and transmit on the other as the RX consumption isn't likely to exceed 3 amps on either radio. You might be pushing the limits of the power supply a little if transmitting on full power but you should still be fine. There's no reason to transmit on full power unless it's need to make the contact, anyway.

A 50 watt 2 meter radio isn't likely to pull more than about 12 or 15amps at full power, so if you're looking for a dedicated power supply for the VHF rig you might consider one that runs under 20 amps to keep the cost and size down.

Depending on what repeaters you have in the area, you might be better off with a dual-band VHF/UHF radio and just share the power supply until you really feel that you need to separate the power. The dual band radio will give you one more band to play with.

Good luck building the shack. You already have a heck of an HF rig.

Teak
KD0KVV
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 01:25:40 PM »

Hook up the 2m radio to your Power supply - no reason to buy another.
And you can have the FT-950 on at the same time - just do not xmit both radio's at the same time.
73 K1WJ David
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 02:47:49 PM »

Its a 25A continuous supply, 35A surge. You could probably actually transmit on the FT950 on CW/SSB and the 2m at the same time if the 2m was running no more than 10W.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 07:39:06 AM »

Unless you're building a multi-operator shack, there is no reason for a second power supply.  As has already been said, it is extremely doubtful that you'll be transmitting on both radios at once, and your current power supply has more than enough output to handle transmitting on one radio while receiving on the other radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: