Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multipsk and windows 7  (Read 5412 times)
W6AOA

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2011, 07:33:49 AM »

Can anyone tell me if multipsk (any version) will work properly with windows 7 (64-Bit).   The waterfall is very slow and broken very badly. I've used it on XP and it runs very smoothly was wondering what may be going on..

Ed Schaff W6AOA
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 05:17:31 AM »

What kind of hardware are you using?

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 05:39:14 AM »

Win 7 is the biggest load of yak MickeySoft has ever released. Almost no software but their own will work on it.
VE4EGL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:25:28 AM »

I don't have any experience with that software but have found that running older (or "older") software in compatibility mode works sometimes.

Just right-click on the shortcut to the program, click on properties, go to the compatibility tab and select "run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose XP.  It might not work but worst case you're out less than a minute for trying.

Good luck.

I used to think you needed an elaborate setup to work DX, then I made a QSO 3,000 miles away using a dipole 8ft off the ground in the middle of a forest.
W6AOA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:02:57 AM »

Hardware is Rascal GLX..
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »

Hardware is Rascal GLX..

By hardware I mean computer CPU type and speed and amount of ram. I have heard some bad mouth Vista and Win7 but if you have enough RAM and CPU both will do fine. Some put Win7 on old computer which can be a mistake.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
GOUDURIX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 01:12:19 AM »

I have just changed the PC and reinstalled MultiPSK on an Acer Travelmate 7740 notebook (i3 Intel core, 2.53 GHz, 2 GB RAM) on Win7 and it works flawlessly. Just had some work to run it via Serial-to-USB but against warnings I had read, even this serial-to-USB adaptor with its software I had bought 2 years ago is working.

Jan
ON3ZTT
W6AOA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:46:16 AM »

Thanks for reply OM.   The USB to serial dongle works fine. The prob is I can seem to verify if the audio from the Rascal (from external speaker jack on IC-730) is making it into the computer via the "mic" jack. See no changes in the waterfall when rcvr volume is varied.  This is my first time with Win7.  Any suggestions.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »

Thanks for reply OM.   The USB to serial dongle works fine. The prob is I can seem to verify if the audio from the Rascal (from external speaker jack on IC-730) is making it into the computer via the "mic" jack. See no changes in the waterfall when rcvr volume is varied.  This is my first time with Win7.  Any suggestions.

In the configuration you need to tell program which sound device you are using and make sure that audio is present on input cable. 

KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 03:07:53 PM »

Ed,

I run Win7 32bit Ultimate on a Core2Duo system and a whole lot of different Ham Sound Card program and no issues.

** Quote: See no changes in the waterfall when rcvr volume is varied" **

1st of all I gather you have confirmed you do have Audio out at the Ext Speaker. Next would be to raise the Mic Gain Level settings in Win7 to Max.

I would highly recommend also getting away form using the Ext Speaker and Mic Jack for Digital.
Biggest issue with using the Mic Jack is over driving the Audio (ALC) to where you are splattering across the Waterfall.  You want very little or NO ALC showing at all.

Next the Ext Speaker Audio level is controlled by the Radio's Volume (AF Gain) Control. I would highly recommend using the DataPort (ACC) 24pins (see page 10 in user manual). Using the DataPort the Volume Control has NO effect on the receive Audio and is at a fixed level.

Now if you do decide to use the 24pin ACC port you should be aware that during TX if the Mic is connected to the Radio there is a chance of having a Hot Mic meaning it can pickup Back Ground Audio/Noise which would mean having to turn down the Mic Gain on the Radio.

Now my Icom 718 which uses a 13pin DataPort also has to have its Mic Gain turned down also. I am running a Signalink USB Interface thru this Port and no problem.

Also try using a different program other than MultiPSK. Digipan is a very user friendly but only supports a few PSK modes. Another very user friendly program is FLdigi at www.w1hkj.com. It is a MultiMode , MultiOS (Windows, Apple MAC OS and Linux) program which is not as cluttered on the Screen as is MultiPSK.

Good Luck! Lets us know how you make out!

73 de Steve KB6HOH
GOUDURIX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 01:25:58 AM »

Hi W6AOA,

indeed use the ACC port to in/out signals to your PC's soundcard. Also check in the manual if there is a pin that can ground the MIC during digi TX mode. My old Kenwood TS850 can if I remember well, but I use a second TS850 as digi base transceiver, and have removed the stock MIC so that is never a worry.
I have to check what happens with the Yaesu FT897D I use a MM rig on my boat.

With regard to setting sound in/sound out volumes in Windows 7 on my notebook, I have also had some trouble getting it right & working.

My notebook does not have the more extended "sound mixing screen" that Win XP had. It seems rather user-unfriendly in Win7 to set the MIC/sound input.

When I have the transceiver connected and MultiPSK running, and when clicking in the MultiPSK menu for Sound settings, I can doubleclick on the "speaker" icon and then you are able to select the settings for "recording". You have to activate the MIC which needed some fumbling about for me. I needed to set it with +10dB boost and a setting of about "60" to have adequate input from my TS850 into the soundcard and MultiPSK through my Rascal interface.

In the end it worked.

Good luck, 73's

Jan
ON3ZTT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: