Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power supply for K1  (Read 3207 times)
WB4SNU

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:03:08 AM »

I have a power supply that I use to charge up batteries by way of an external charger. 120v input, 13.8 output. I noticed while it is on that a S3 noise will appear on my Yaesu FT-950 when it is on. I use the supply to run my Elecraft K1. It hasn't shown anything wrong while using the K1 but just happen to notice it being a S3 when the Yaesu is on.
Would this be the way the power supply is designed for to use as a battery charger power supply?
If the band is a little noisy, I don't notice it. If the band is quiet, then I notice the S meter reading.
Could this be maybe some bad filter capacitors?
The P/S is a high dollar item for the charger it is designed for.

I don't know if I am in the right place or not for this question but thought it would be appropriate for the QRP group.

The P/S is a Competition Electronics supply with quality looking parts inside. 3 toroid's with one being long on the output lines.

Am I being too worrysome about this or should I do a little more checking? As I stated, the supply powers the K1 ok with no trouble as I can tell. Being an S3, it is a little noisy.

Any suggestions?Huh

Digital and CW spoken here.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »

A   battery charger wouldn't be my first (or 100th) choice as power for a K1.    The K1
requires a constant voltage with sufficient current to provide pure DC to it.
A battery charger may do almost anything depending on the type battery being charged.
Even though it is "high end" it may not be suitable for the use you are putting it to.
Some battery chargers put out periodic voltage spikes and regulate both the voltage and
current supplied.  If you simply must use this charger then connect a battery to it and this
will serve as ballast to protect the K1 and may stop the noise.  However if the noise is
produced by internal switching in the charger it probably won't make any difference.

Have you read the manual on the charger? 

Allen
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 01:13:21 PM »

for a QRP rig like the K1, just run it in a battery, and use the charger to charge the battery between uses. You can get a 4Ah AGM at Radio Shack for $25 or so. I use one with my Icom 703 for portable adventuring, and charge it with a wall wart at home, and have a folding solar panel to use if I'm out on a sunny day.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 02:27:45 PM »

Ditto KQ6Q, I use same set up with my K-1 at home and portable,simple, low cost and no problems.  HNY  Jim
WB4SNU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »

I probably didn't explain very well on my post. The power supply is a seperate unit from a charger. It just supplies a very stable 13.8v dc for the power to the charger. It is rated for 20amps.

I'll run the K1 from a battery like I am supposed to and keep the power supply for the charger just for charging the batteries.

Thanks for all that replied.

Richard  WB4SNU

Digital and CW spoken here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: