Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you say - I can't copy you?  (Read 8856 times)
KF7IPW

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2011, 11:08:37 PM »

I've made my first... ugly... QSOs over the last couple of days.
What is the "polite" correct way of telling a responder that he's too faint
or I just can't copy them due to QRN?

Thanks for any help you can be.
If you hear me on 40 or 80 meters be nice and-      G        0                 S       L       O        W

Stan KF7IPW
K2ACB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 12:11:58 AM »

There is a Q signal for this. It is QRS which means go slower. However there are some hams radio amateurs who  will not QRS when asked to or will end the qso because of this.

It also depends on what portion of the cw bands you operate. It used to be when you had to be able to copy 20 wpm for an Extra Class license that if you were operating in the Extra Class portion of the CW bands  most cw operators would send much quicker in that segment of the bands than above that segment. I still find this to be the case today especially among dx stations that operate in the Extra Class cw portion of the bands.

So if you are not that proficient in cw or do not use a cw computer code reader to copy cw  my advice is do not operate in the Extra Class cw portion of the band if your license allows you to operate in that band segment.

Also if a radio amateur  does not slow down after you ask him to QRS I would end the QSO and find someone else who will respect your QRS and will send at a speed you are comfortable copying.

Alan-K2ACB
KF7IPW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:45:35 AM »

Alan thanks for the reply.

People have been very gracious and have gone slow enough for me.
That has not been a problem.

The issue is very weak signals reply to my CQ and I hear them in the
back ground noise but I can't hear them well enough to decipher the code.
Do I just ignore them or tell them they are too weak?

Stan

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 06:08:47 AM »

Do I just ignore them or tell them they are too weak?

Either way will convey the same information.  Sri no cpy  CQ CQ CQ de KF7IPW ....

Chuck  NI0C 
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 06:23:41 AM »

Stan,

I understood your question the first time, I understand it has nothing to do with QRS.

If they are REALLY weak just ignore them and call CQ again. They will get the idea that a contact won't happen. If they are weak enough to HEAR them but you think it will be a REALLY rough QSO, simply do this:
"W5?? sri OM weak, try later 73"

Then CQ again. Honestly, in all these years I have rarely acknowledged the weak station if there is not possibility of a real "ragchew" QSO. For a DX contact where all you need is correct callsign we all work much harder. It is YOUR CQ, you can answer (or not answer) whoever you want.

Congrats on the first QSO. Believe me, it is the FIRST one that is the hardest!! It only gets easier, keep at it and try to get on every day (even if for only 10 minutes before bedtime). Some people like to unwind by watching the 11pm news for 20 minutes. My wife likes to unwind by watching The Colbert Report for 15 minutes before going to sleep. I like to unwind by going down to the shack and looking for DX for 15 minutes. Same 15 minutes, go to bed together, no problems.

paul
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:07:02 AM »

Right,

nil cpy sri rst 119 73 de pa0blah

However the problem arises (NOT in this case but very often) due to the reciprocity of path by QRP versus QRO.

Some guys like to work QRP. That's OK, I am lucky they glue /QRP on their call, so that I know I hear them in the top of QSB, and I am, when very tired and looking for some relief, not lucky to stress myself to copy them in the valley of the QSB. So I can look fr another stn fr an easy QRQ rag chew.

However it seems to me that every person in life has the desire to present himself in one or other way on a certain subject.
Looks evolutionary determined when I look to the rooster(s) and my chickens.
May be a guy drops out of every school very early and he has to do all odd jobs in order to stay alive, but when you could buy a car or a linear of 2+ kW, you are somebody. So you gave CQ with you 2k+ linear and you get response from all over the world from guys working 50 watt or much less, and you can feel the feeling of the big guns in daily life that in fact rule your life, and that feels very nice.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:12:57 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:14:41 AM »

Hi Stan,

Welcome to CW!  As you gain skill through experience, you will be amazed at how you will be able to dig contacts out of QRN & QRM.  The brain is a great filter when trained.

Good luck!

Wayne
KF7IPW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:30:42 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

Here in Utah it's not how many watts you have.
It's how many wives you have.
I'm definitely a QRP kind of guy in that arena.

Stan
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 09:45:16 AM »

Ho ho (railway code) I appreciate ur humor.
In Utah just somewhat more handling like my roosters.

Welcome in the wonderfull world of CW (This wish takes you 83 seconds to transmit with 5 wpm)

Bob

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:01:46 PM by PA0BLAH » Logged
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:46:03 AM »

For very weak signals I just use "QSB" (your signal is fading, which can pretty much mean anything) and try again.

Typical exchange might be ?? DE WB2WIK SRI QSB QSB AGN? AGN? BK or almost anything like that.  If after a few tries the station is simply too weak to copy I usually send SRI NIL SRI NIL 73 DE WB2WIK and just let it go.

But if you find this happening frequently, you might investigate why.  Could be you have a crazy high noise level that prevents you from hearing weaker signals, and that might be improved.  Or maybe your receiver isn't functioning as well as it should be.  Could be lots of things.

Even when I run a kilowatt on CW, I rarely cannot copy answers; even QRP (5W) stations are generally copyable, even if weakly.  When I find myself struggling to hear weak stations, it's usually my fault (my noise level is just high that day, etc).
HFHAM2

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »

The Q signal for "Your signals are too weak" is QRJ although apparently it's not very well known.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »

To 'faint'?  UR RST 119.  [The 9 is probably Honorary, but we still send it. R1=Unreadable. S1=Faint signals, barely perceptible]

Can't copy due to QRN?  If the guy has a good signal strength....   UR RST 169 QRN.

Simple.  In fact I only use R 1 thru 5, S 1 2 3 6 and 8.   OK, the guy across town, RIPPING off my fones gets an S 9................

Oh... don't use the S-Meter; control your R.F. Gain by hand, then YOU [not the AGC] evaluates signal strength.

http://www.radioing.com/hamstart/rst.html

dm
KF7IPW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 09:16:02 PM »

Thanks for all the pointers.
It seems strange to give a signal report without acknowledging the stations call sign.
I guess I do that on SSB though when I don't get a good signal.

Thanks for the Hamstart address that seems like a nice place for basic info.

Stan
W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 07:06:41 AM »

It seems strange to give a signal report without acknowledging the stations call sign.

Agreed it is strange.  There is no sense in providing QSO content to a failed contact that never became a QSO.  My advice, ignore the unreadable station and keep calling CQ.

Mike
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 07:45:53 AM »

ALMOST agree on the 'ignore'.... but if *I* was on the 'weak' end, I'd appreciate the consideration of acknowledging I was 'there'...

dm
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: