Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you say - I can't copy you?  (Read 9314 times)
K9ZMD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »

ALMOST agree on the 'ignore'.... but if *I* was on the 'weak' end, I'd appreciate the consideration of acknowledging I was 'there'...
Simple fact, it makes no difference if a station is heard too weakly for a QSO, or just not heard at all - the end result is still the same, it is not going into the log.  The nice guy who sends "SRI NIL" may be considerate, or he may just encourage the weak station to keep trying.   (Hope springs eternal.  I transmit, therefore I am there.  I hear myself really strong, surely you could too, if you'd just try a little harder.  What's wrong with you, ain't you got no receiver?)

Gary, K9ZMD/7
Ridgefield, WA

W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 01:28:22 PM »

Well said, Gary.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 02:59:37 PM »

I encounter this situation many times every day since I operate mainly 10m CW DX.

If the station is so weak there is no possibility of even receiving the callsign I ignore him (to avoid a hopeless situation) and continue calling cq.
If I were to ask him to call again it would only frustrate him when I could not get his callsign.
I find that frequently conditions will change slightly and later on he manages to get through.
You have to admire that persistence.

However, and this is the majority of my contacts, most of the time, the signals are very low in the noise but still readable by ear, so I ask them to repeat a few times until I get the entire call.
I usually manage to get their name etc. due to the miraculous audio DSP between our ears.
They are then in the log, and that is usually all they want.
My technique is simple to say "sri om pse agn k".
That is good enough.

For anybody significantly above the noise there is no problem with copy, except due to qrm, but even then our cranial DSP usually sorts that out.

As for speed of transmission, I will always slow down to the sending speed of the station calling, even though many times they can read faster, I have no way of knowing their receiving speed, so as a courtesy I match their speed.

I call cq from 7WPM to 39WPM to blow the cobwebs out of my paddle and find that I seem to get more callbacks from cq's at higher speeds - go figure.
Maybe they think I am a contest station or dxpedition or something, but it is an interesting observation.

On QRP, 10m is a great equaliser and I have worked many QRP stations, some using whips, and mobile CW stations in japan who were S9 or better, while much stronger power stations were in the noise, just propagation, skip etc.
Keep in mind I am using a dipole, so nothing which gives much advantage in gain.

Most of my 10m CW dx is over a 6000 to 16000km path so it is well worthwhile trying 10m right now.

73s

G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »

I usually try and make a go of it, if I can't I usually send 73 and ask them to call again maybe under better conditions. It happens quite often with QRP stations running 1W and probably are only copying me at 559 so that is likely to put them at or below my noise level if I'm running 100W. I quite often have a couple of other QSO's then the QRP stations calls again and we manage to have some sort of QSO when the conditions pick up.

I am a naturally polite person and I don't like intentionally ignoring anyone, because I think that's just plain rude.
WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 06:46:52 AM »

QRZ? sri rst 229 rst 229 gl cul  ar
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 08:41:12 AM »

A couple of question marks sent back to back says a lot!
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 01:21:05 AM »

An old QST magazine I read said to not be bashful about asking for QRS, if it truly a speed issue. Of course, there's QRM as an easy to identify issue (at least for one side of the QSO), but I guess the difference between QSB & QRN is QSB is that fade you get, (even when listening to multi-KW SW stations) & QRN is constant noise.

Of course, you could send QRO, but that may not go over well it they are maxed out on power.  Wink 
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 10:35:43 AM »

OK, I am not going to read all this chit chat, I myself gave some contributions I saw, not going to read them back.

In ham radio QRJ is used to say : Your signals are to weak to copy.

Radio officers learned : QRJ n means there are n telephone calls for you.

So the radio amateur meaning of QRJ is: your signals are to weak, let we go over the the land line to proceed with our rag chew QSO.

Bob
KF7IPW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.

There really seems to be little traffic at night on 40 and 75/80.
I'm usually operating from 9-12 MST (0400-0700 Z)
I know my rig is doing well because I work a  couple SSB stations every night
after I can't get anyone to answer my CW CQ.  It's rare to hear anyone calling
CQ in my speed range (5-10 WPM) at those times of night.
It feels like I'm the only QRS insomniac out there.

So far I'm up to about 20 QSOs and I'm really enjoying it.  People have been
fantastic with their help.

Thanks again.
73 es GE
Stan 
K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 08:28:19 PM »

Glad to hear a new CW op.  STICK WITH IT.  Hint: it is better to get on and have a few shorter QSO or a shorter practice session more frequently than
just have a few long sessions once in a while.  CW is funny stuff.....once you "pay your dues" and work up to a decent speed it gets really fun.... kinda like you are now
on "Real" radio. Hi Hi. There is just something personal, due to your more initimate involvement on CW that makes it special.  ANYBODY can talk into a
microphone......but not everybody can operate CW and that breeds some fraternalism among the CW ops.

You have had a bunch of replies on your question, but typically in the R (readability) of RST you just give a very low number and add "QRN"  or "QRM"
at the end. The other op will understand. Not that I am right or it is better, but I just usually say "Sorry no copy  Sorry no copy QRN QRN".
If the other guy can hear you, he will know what you mean.

One of the more common situations you run into for very weak signals is from QRP stations. I will usually make a try to copy their call and give them a sig report,
but I sure don't feel any obligation to ruin my ears trying to conduct a QSO just because HE CHOOSES to have a weak signal! You do the best you can to give them
a report....if you can't you move on.

Hope to catch you on the air one of these days.  Oh, as far a lack of activity late at night.....not unusual; a lot of people cant' stay up because they have to get
up and go to work, etc; just a hard reality, but you also may stumble into some DX too....so not all bad.  I have seen night when I was up late and called CQ running a KW and never stirred up anybody and also had some surprising DX come back.  "It happens.......both ways."

73,  K0ZN
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 08:11:55 AM »

How to politely get rid of a CW contact with a weak signal or poor sending fist?

Something like, "The wife just got home from the grocery and I need to unload the car," ought to do it.

I love CW. Been using it since 1969 but still don't like copying poorly sent CW. And you hear some of that.

When one of those answer my CQ, something always comes up on my end.

Hope that doesn't sound cruel or impolite but just truthful. In the old days when people actually wrote letters in longhand to one another, if you had a relative with poor penmanship, as I did, you read their letters as best you could or put it down before finishing because deciphering their cryptic scratching was too burdensome.

Same deal on CW.

73, N4KZ
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »

"QSD" (your keying is defective) has always worked for me. And it's printed on the inside cover of just about every ARRL Log Book ever printed, I think.

This, of course, assumes that the reason you can't copy the other guy is a lousy fist and not weak signals or interference of some sort.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:27:32 PM by K7KBN » Logged

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 08:47:35 PM »

There is a Q signal for this. It is QRS which means go slower. However there are some hams radio amateurs who  will not QRS when asked to or will end the qso because of this.

It also depends on what portion of the cw bands you operate. It used to be when you had to be able to copy 20 wpm for an Extra Class license that if you were operating in the Extra Class portion of the CW bands  most cw operators would send much quicker in that segment of the bands than above that segment. I still find this to be the case today especially among dx stations that operate in the Extra Class cw portion of the bands.

So if you are not that proficient in cw or do not use a cw computer code reader to copy cw  my advice is do not operate in the Extra Class cw portion of the band if your license allows you to operate in that band segment.

Also if a radio amateur  does not slow down after you ask him to QRS I would end the QSO and find someone else who will respect your QRS and will send at a speed you are comfortable copying.

Alan-K2ACB

This would be the best common sense logical advice for anyone and really don't need any other advice than this.

Basic rules of engagements and if everyone followed protocol within these segments which have been customary for decades there wouldn't be by problems.

But.......

Have fun and good luck!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: