Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should contesters on CW send at speeds way above 20WPM  (Read 12690 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »

The NAQCC sprint that I worked last night meets several of these requirements and the speeds were straight key friendly, though I used a tamed bug...

Interesting...

The idea would be to have an Iron OP category in contests like SS, Field Day, etc.

Perhaps it could start out as an "informal" category.

We'd popularize a list of "Iron Op" rules, and compare scores online. Reports to ARRL, CQ, etc., would mention the Iron Op nature of the entry.

Think of the possibilities....

73 de Jim, N2EY
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »

I don't think K0TF was talking about big-time contesters using dedicated Skimmers or others' Skimmer spots/DX spots populating their bandmaps to find QSOs. Everyone knows you can do that. Everyone also knows every spot you see you have to take with a grain of salt cuz skimmers make mistakes (W1SJ was spotted as EW1SJ all contest long during the 160 meter contest). And he is not talking about computer logging, everyone knows you can do that too.

He is saying big-time contesters use a computer to DECODE Morse while they are running! He also said that computer decoding during runs is necessary because one can not continue to run for hours on end at 150+/minute WITHOUT some decoding; the brain just can't handle it. Maybe that's not what he meant, but that is what he said. All we are saying (those who think this is wrong) is that big-time contesters do NOT use code readers/computers to decode Morse during their runs. Some guys are lazy, click on Skimmer spots without confirming the callsign of the guy. That is stupid, but that is up to them. But big-time contest ops don't want to get dinged with a busted call, they don't rely on computers to decode Morse.

Maybe we are all talking about different things, maybe that is why K0TF is do adamant.

paul

Proverb

ignorance is bliss

Lack of knowledge results in happiness
Sometime you are more comfortable if you dont know something.
End of quote.
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2011, 09:10:50 AM »

Where's the fun if you just have a computer do all the work?

Why even bother typing?  Just have the computer put 'em in the log and go outside for a beer.  It's certainly possible, if what K0TF is saying is true about robust decoders.

I didn't hear any call signs during this weekend's 10m contest that were too fast for me to head copy, and I am a casual op with a little-pistol station.  The amount of time/money/frustration required to set up a reliable computer decoding system, imo, is way more than spending some time with RufzXP and getting comfortable with head copy.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2011, 12:56:18 PM »

OTOH, a true Iron Op would do what was needed to qualify, such as fixing up an old rig that met the requirements. Corsair II, anyone?
Look up my 2008 ARRL DX, NAQP, and SS scores. I did that with a HW-16 and a HG-10B VFO and paper logging :-).

Admittedly it doesn't take a lot of bells and whistles to run a frequency on 40M or 80M in NAQP or SS.

Look up my score for 2008 SS. Then look up my shack picture.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »

Found you in the logbook, I worked you in 2007 CW SS on 80M! Were you using the Southgate Type 7 at the time?

I'm pretty sure I was using the HW-16 in 2007 CW SS. 2005/2006 I was using an Eico 720 and some really crufty old crystals but I was getting way too many OO postcards so I upgraded to the Heathkit soon after.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2011, 07:35:22 PM »

Found you in the logbook, I worked you in 2007 CW SS on 80M! Were you using the Southgate Type 7 at the time?

I think so.

The Type 7 was built in the mid-1990s and has been in use ever since. A few years back I had the loan of a TS-940SAT for SS (I gave it back) and I also have K2 that gets hooked up once in a while.

I don't want to think about how many thousand QSOs the Type 7 has on it.

If you have QST for June, 1994, take a look at page 55. The rig in use then was the Southgate Type 6.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2011, 12:30:54 AM »

Interesting...
The idea would be to have an Iron OP category in contests like SS, Field Day, etc.
Perhaps it could start out as an "informal" category.
We'd popularize a list of "Iron Op" rules, and compare scores online. Reports to ARRL, CQ, etc., would mention the Iron Op nature of the entry.
Think of the possibilities....
73 de Jim, N2EY
Interesting... Old farts category... Possibilities are endless... Here is q-code for that:
QAR: Is your arthritis acting up today? My arthritis is acting up today.
QBP: How many bypasses (or stints) do you have? I have ___ bypasses (or stints).
QDF: Does (or did) your ICD (implantable cardioverter-defibrillator) zap you when you key down? My ICD zaps (zapped) me when I key down.
QDN: Are you wearing dentures? I am wearing dentures.
QGC: How many grandchildren do you have (or do you have a new grandchild)? I have ___ grandchildren (or I have a new grandchild).
QGM: Are you operating golf cart mobile? I am operating golf cart mobile.
QID: What kind of incontinent diapers do you used? I use ___ diapers for incontinence.
QJR: How many joint replacements have you had? I have had ___ joint replacements.
QLO: Do you know what LOL (or IMHO, ROFL, etc.) stands for? ___ stands for ___.
QLW: Do you watch Lawrence Welk reruns? I watch Lawrence Welk reruns.
QMD: Who is your geriatric physician? My geriatric physician is ___ .
QOT: Are you an Old Timer and were you licensed before no-code licensing? I am an Old Timer and I was licensed before no-code licensing.
QPA: What is your PSA level (or have you had your PSA level checked)? My PSA level is ___ .
QPG: Was that QRM or did you just pass gas? No, that was QRM.
QPJ: Do you drink prune juice? I drink prune juice.
QPM: Did you just pull a muscle? I think I just pulled a muscle.
QPP: Do you need to take a bio-break? I need to take a bio-break.
QRX: What medications are you taking? I am taking the following medications ____ .
QSS: Have you gotten your social security check? I have received my social security check.
QVC: Do you know how to program your VCR? I can program my VCR.
QWH: Do you think Betty White is hot? I think Betty White is hot.
QON Do you remember your own name without looking? I remember my own name without looking.
QWS Who sent last? I think I sent last.
QPP Do you need to change your Depends? I need to change my Depends.
QFA Are you asleep - do I need to resend? I fell asleep, please resend.
QCS Is ____ your call or mine? _____ is your call.
QPC Are you power chair mobile? I am power chair mobile.
QAS Are you in assisted living? I am in assisted living.
QWK Are you living with your kids? I am living with my kids.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: