Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the best antenna rope?  (Read 3959 times)
ND9B

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2011, 04:23:32 PM »

We had an ice storm last night and my heavy Alfa-Delta fan dipole fell down. The nylon pulley rope suspending the middle of the dipole broke. It's a long way up that 80 ft. tower, especially in the cold! I need rope which will not break or rot. What's my best bet?

BTW, what do you think of plastic clothesline rope? I've never seen this stuff break, and it doesn't seem to chafe in the trees.

ND9B
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 05:54:52 PM »

We had an ice storm last night and my heavy Alfa-Delta fan dipole fell down. The nylon pulley rope suspending the middle of the dipole broke. It's a long way up that 80 ft. tower, especially in the cold! I need rope which will not break or rot. What's my best bet?

BTW, what do you think of plastic clothesline rope? I've never seen this stuff break, and it doesn't seem to chafe in the trees.

ND9B

Dacron marine grade line.

http://www.dswrope.com/servlet/the-Dacron-Antenna-Rope/Categories?gclid=CM_hwqDh36wCFchgTAodVUBumg

I use 1000 pound test on my antennas. You should also consider using a marine grade pulley. They run ten times more
than the crap in the ACE hardware isles, but they won't fail either.

I use  and endless loop over the branch, and a second support line for the antenna through the pulley.
The other end on the ground is tied to a concrete block that allows the antenna line to move in the pulley
when the winds pick up.

Pete
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »

Try 1/8 inch steel cable.  I doubt if ice would affect it much, and the weight of the antenna and ice shouldn't be enough to strain it either.  If that pulley is on the tower, I seriously doubt if a steel cable will make any significant difference to the antenna.
 - Paul
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 08:32:28 PM »

I have used dacron 5/16 UV resistant rope for guys on my Rohn 25 tower for a few years now to satisfaction. The strength is 1250 lbs, costs is 28 cents per ft from The Wireman. Smaller of course gets cheaper depending on your strength requirements. Not cheap after shipping, but does the job in high winds. I don't get heavy ice here often. The few times it has been exposed, it did well.

Frank
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 03:07:33 AM »

Marine grade rope as used on yachts, available from ships chandlers and yacht supply companies. I've used it for years and never had a failure. They will also supply pulleys that are unlikely to seize or break.

73 Dave
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:14:50 AM »

Plastic clothesline rope may be strong, but it may not hold up well to UV exposure over time.  Once the plastic coating degrades and the core threads are exposed, everything chaffes and it may not hold up long.  I use 3/16" Dacron over Kevlar that hald held up very well over time.  I happend to come across a large roll on eBay for peanuts.  Checking marine supply houses is good advice, and darker colors seem to hold up better with long-term UV exposure.  Stay away from drapery cord, or almost anthing from the big-box hardware stores.  It will stiffen and snap after only a couple of years (been there).

Don, K2DC
KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 11:07:03 AM »

I'm brand new so go gentle with me, but you really don't want to use something super strong to support a wire antenna, do you?  It seems to me that it's better for a support rope to break in heavy weather than the antenna wire itself.  Sort of like the rope acting as a fuse.

Am I wrong in thinking you want the support rope to be somewhere close to the breaking strength of the antenna wire, but definitely a little less?
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 11:15:25 AM »

I use pulleys with a counterwieght system.  That seems to work well. The only parts that have failed me
were cheap ACE Hardware pulleys; that was a bad move on my part several years ago.

I suspect my wire antennas will fail before the support lines, and that is fine with me. It is a lot easier
to rebuild the wire antennas on the ground, rather than trying to fix hardware at the top of the tower or
sixty feet up an oak tree. You could add a section of weaker line in the mix if you feel you need a safety
release.

pete
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »

I have used dacron 5/16 UV resistant rope for guys on my Rohn 25 tower for a few years now to satisfaction. The strength is 1250 lbs, costs is 28 cents per ft from The Wireman. Smaller of course gets cheaper depending on your strength requirements. Not cheap after shipping, but does the job in high winds. I don't get heavy ice here often. The few times it has been exposed, it did well.

Frank

Here's the company who makes that: http://www.synthetictextilesinc.com/supportham.html

This is what The Wireman and many others sell, it all comes from the same place.  If you buy a 500' spool it's only $0.195/foot, so you could have saved some money.  The factory will sell to hams directly.

This stuff is all I use for everything.  It barely stretches, weathers very well and seems completely immune to U.V.  I've been using it since it first came on the market in about 1989.
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 01:07:08 PM »

Thanks for the info I bookmarked it. It's good stuff I think.

Frank
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:00:18 PM by K4RVN » Logged
N9MXY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »

Steve,

Is this rope the stuff that is woven dacron all the way through?  I bought some of that at a hamfest. Back in the mid 90's and it's still good. Problem is all the stuff I see sold now is different. It will have a sleeve made of one material and a center that is different. I have not seen that single dacron stuff for years.
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 09:39:54 PM »

The Dacron 5/16 rope I have from the wireman (polyester) is braided all the way through no filler. He also sells marine type pulleys at a reasonable price. I have not bought a pulley so don't know how they hold up to bad conditions.
The black dacron braid is only on the outside while the rest is white. I had not noticed that before today when I checked the end of the rope where I cut it.

Frank
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 06:36:51 PM by K4RVN » Logged
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 01:42:59 PM »

I bought Kevlar rope from Radio Works in Va. it is Amazing rope. I have used it to support an number of wire antenna in trees . The stuff just does not seem to rot nor is it destroyed by UV. I have used other types of rope and they never lasted like this Kevlar Rope.

73 jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: