Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raising a HyGain HG-52SS Tower to its vertical position??  (Read 1382 times)
W4IOW

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »

I have a very nice HG-52SS tower that I hope to have in the vertical position sometime in early 2012. I will be putting the base of the tower next to the house. I will not have the available space to install a device to raise the to its vertical position.

Is it possible and safe for two or three men to walk the tower into the vertical position? If you have experience with this procedure I would very much like to hear about it and also any tricks you have learned to make the job easier.
Thank you,
Ray
W4IOW
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:13:18 PM »

Ray - I owned a 52SS for many years and had it installed at three different locations. We took it down for that last time a few months ago when we sold our home and I donated it to a local ham. Last time it was erected I had a group of workers who did walk it up to the vertical; you're going to need more than 2-3 folks though. You should consider some way of safely supporting the tower IF on the way up you're not able to continue until you get to the "break over" point.  Also, if you're using a Hy-Gain replacement base (amazing that they're still fabricating and selling these) that the tolerance is VERY tight (which is a good thing) so have some way to adjust the vertical position a little in order to put the bolts in place.  Finally, if this is a used unit you should consider replacing the cable system...you'll have to fabricate it yourself as Hy-Gain no longer makes them.  While you're at it make up one or two extra sets for the future to replace before a failure occurs.  If you're looking for a winch let me know and I'll send you the model number of the unit I replaced twice during my tower's lifetime.

Good luck!

73 - Dino KL0S (kl0s at arrl dot net)
K9KUZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:04:09 PM »

I put one up several years ago. As I recall, it took at least 6 guys on the ground to push it up... but not quite all the way to the tip point. There were 2 on the roof pulling also. That was the key. Plus, don't forget 1 man at the base that's ready to push in the last bolt. Good luck.  JIM
K9WJL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »

I bought a 4500# warn winch off of amazon, and fabbed up a plate that slides into the receiver of my trucks hitch. It pulls my 50' tiltover up with ease. I dont even have to put my beverage down.
 Bill K9WJL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: