The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 60 meter CW  (Read 23346 times)
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 01:22:27 AM »

I always thought that American hams were not permitted to use CW on 60m because few military agencies had the personnel or commitment to monitor morse communications.  Data mode monitoring would not be a problem for the military.  Because of this I suspect that the data modes could be permitted but not CW.  

So long as 30m remains lower power and no phone, I wouldn't be so concerned if an expanded, non-channelized 60m is phone only.

73, Jordan
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 08:37:30 AM »

I think it was back in August last year, I saw on their webpage that the League was was in dialog with the FCC concerning allowing cw and some digital work on five megacycles. Does anybody know of any progress in that direction?  Tnx and very best of 73 de Tom, AB9NZ http://radiotelegrapher.posterous.com/
The channelized operation on 60M is what seems like a real "impedance mismatch" to ham operation to me. (Although the new generation seems to often confine themselves to being on "the right frequency" instead of "the frequency that works.")

In between 5330 and 5403 there's room for hundreds of CW and digital signals with hams sorting out bandwidth needs fine on their own. But channelize it and I just don't see it happening.
NO6L

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »

...So long as 30m remains lower power and no phone, I wouldn't be so concerned if an expanded, non-channelized 60m is phone only...

You "stole my thunder" on this one. I will only elaborate. Why are these people so obsessed with getting CW on 60? Currently it's a puny five channels with the primary having no plans to return to using CW there. I have other questions. I really don't care one way or another, but are these same folks pining for a phone sub-band on 30? No? Why not? It makes sense. Maybe even ask for another 50khz and limit BW to 2.8khz. Never happen though. But no CW on 60? This will not do. It does not matter that government/military, the primary users of 60, are channelized and no longer use CW. If there's a radio amateur on a band it better have a CW allocation.

Here's a crazy thought. Just like with 30, if you don't like how 60 is allocated, use another band. As for me, I like all modes, to some extent or another, but I've got vastly  more important things to worry about than whether 30 has phone or 60 has CW.

AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »

"Anyone who thinks CW and digital are going to be allowed on the 60m allocations is living in a dream world." The thought of a ham band without Morse telegraphy just seemed so wrong. I'm glad our League got the FCC to straighten it out.
                                     Take very good care folks, de Tom, AB9NZ,  Mount Prospect, Illinois
AE6ZW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 02:25:44 PM »

if we get 60 mtr as BAND , we may get CW
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 08:17:50 AM »

In the US, NTIA and it's users (government agencies) are the primary users and they "like" channelized operations for all of the reasons that are right for their modes of operation. As "guests" (secondary users) in that allocation we play by their rules. They are not about to put up with a "band" of CW or digital operations being superimposed upon their channelized plan.

For the primary users it is about "going to channel 328C" and not a vague discussion of "let's move our operations over to 5365.2075 MHz, +/- 2 KHz. They do not screw around with radios, it is a tool and is expected to work as such. Repeatable, predictable and fixed. They have spectrum all over the place from VLF to EHF and it is all channelized.

We may be happy in scrunching up 40 CW contacts in a 10 KHz slot and putting up with mixed digital modes and some SSB thrown in for good measure. That does not fit into their game-plan.

Maybe if we continue to demonstrate good operating practices and respect for their primary allocation they will allow us a few more channels. Maybe even in places other than 60 meters.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:20:03 AM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: