The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-renewable Technician?  (Read 13514 times)
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 04:58:02 PM »

...... A James Bond flick where the spies and MI-5 use Morse
Code for their communications just might do it. Every
kid would buy a telegraph key, at least for a few months.

Sorry but I highly doubt anyone, especially teenage boys, watches James Bond flicks to see how he communicates.

I know I don't Wink

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 01:55:38 PM »

My friends & I, all got our Novice tickets in 1969 and began our career in electronics...One guy went from Novice-General-Extra, another guy Novice-General-Advanced and I went from Novice-Technician-Advanced-Extra...We loved having to learn CW...The one guy even got a certificate for hi-speed code...Today, we're all employed and still have code as our main emission...

In today's world, seems kids are not interested in it ?
 Huh
KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »

I've used it commercially in international waters, although this is becoming more and more rare to hear costal stations or other vessels using Morse anymore.  I recently upgraded to GMDSS Sea Area A3.  I still have my bug nearby in the wheelhouse and will occasionally use it, if for nothing other than posterity and to stay "up to speed".  At home, I have an Elecraft K1 and use my Vibroplex bug.

Michael KC8WUC, WDE9344
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »

Non-renewable tech ticket?  Why?  Some hams are only interested in the tech portion of the bands and don't want to progress any higher.  "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!"
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »

I don't know if it will really make any difference.  Most of the repeater-only tech types will probably be bored to death, upset at people, upset by people, lose interest, etc. within 10 years, anyways. 

The VHF/UHF experimenters, tropo-scatterers, microwave guys, etc. don't strike me as the type who'd avoid upgrading.  Anyone with the demonstrated ability to do more than PTT their HT in ham radio could and should upgrade easily.  It's just a written test -- not assembling a moon bounce array.

My guess is that most of the hams who do more than repeaters/FM simplex are already generals or extras, or will be so soon. 
KD0PBO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 11:24:38 AM »

The beef I have with upgrading, isnt learning the material to take the General test but rather setting up and getting on HF when I get there. I've been doing ALOT of hunting for an affordable HF rig for my price range. Used and New rigs both tend to be way more than I can spend on JUST the radio itself. Figuring in new coax plus some sort of antenna, homebrew or new, would put me over the edge. I really like the look of the Icom 718 but at $600+ dollars new and $400+ used WITHOUT issues or bugs I just can't afford it. The next "entry level" HF rig is an Alinco SR8T mobile that runs $500+ and has had hit or miss reviews from what i've been reading on here and other forum sites plus video reviews on youtube.

Don't get me wrong. I am going to upgrade within the next few months because I would love to get on HF but odds are I wont be getting on HF until a year after. I know I can go the more affordable route of buying a used rig but I personally do not have the skills to fix an older radio if something is wrong with it especially if its an internals problem.

So long story short. I will upgrade to General for the sole purpose of later hoping to get an HF rig and get down on HF. For now I will have to settle for my 2m/440 HT and 2m mobile. Stupid college tuition and low paying job!  Angry

As for the Non-Renewable tech idea. I think it would push more people from getting into the hobby. Me personally, my sole purpose for orignally get my Tech was for Skywarn opps. Obviously Ive moved passed the initial narrow mind frame and have found wayyy more fun waiting within the hobby. I think I wouldve been less appt to experiment more if I knew I was limited to a straight ten years before I was either forced to upgrade to Genral or retake the Tech test.

Miles, KD0PBO
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 02:37:24 AM »

...... A James Bond flick where the spies and MI-5 use Morse
Code for their communications just might do it. Every
kid would buy a telegraph key, at least for a few months.

Sorry but I highly doubt anyone, especially teenage boys, watches James Bond flicks to see how he communicates.

I know I don't Wink
I agree its the Girls, they watch !
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: