Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about tech privileges  (Read 2690 times)
K3OHU

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2011, 08:04:52 PM »

I'm an inactive advanced class old timer (the old timer part just sneaked up on me  Angry )
Back in the old days, the tech and the general theory tests were one and the same.  The only difference, when I was a kid, was the tech test was administered by a higher class ham, and the general test was taken at an FCC field office (unless you lived 150 miles or more from the office, in which case the general test could be administered by another ham, and the class was called conditional instead of general). So, since the test were the same, why weren't the tech tickets grandfathered into general tickets with general frequency privileges?
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »

I'm an inactive advanced class old timer (the old timer part just sneaked up on me  Angry )
Back in the old days, the tech and the general theory tests were one and the same.  The only difference, when I was a kid, was the tech test was administered by a higher class ham, and the general test was taken at an FCC field office (unless you lived 150 miles or more from the office, in which case the general test could be administered by another ham, and the class was called conditional instead of general). So, since the test were the same, why weren't the tech tickets grandfathered into general tickets with general frequency privileges?

A Technician who can prove that he was licensed before the Element 3 tech/general exam was split in 1987 can get an instant upgrade to General today.  All he has to do is take proof (callbook, even original licence if available) to a VE team. They will provide the necessary paperwork for the automatic General upgrade.

73, Jordan
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:59:19 AM »

Jordan is exactly correct. To build a little on this, the FCC's rules impose on the licensee the burden of proof. The active license records in the ULS don't show whether a current Tech license is an "old Tech" (pre-87), so it's not a simple action to determine who would qualify. As a result, it can't be done "automatically" within the FCC database. So the rules were implemented in a way that the licensee has to request the upgrade and provide documentation. The FCC did relax the standards of documentation in 2000, though. Previously, only the license itself (or a photocopy) would qualify. Now the FCC (via its VECs and their VEs) will accept online callsign databases (like QRZ) or old callbooks.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:20:45 AM »

the tech test was administered by a higher class ham, and the general test was taken at an FCC field office (unless you lived 150 miles or more from the office, in which case the general test could be administered by another ham, and the class was called conditional instead of general).

Couple of small points:

1) From its creation in 1951 until 1954, Technician tests were given at FCC offices same as General, unless the distance or disability requirement was met.

2) The distance requirement for a Conditional was 125 miles until 1954, 75 miles from 1954 to 1964, and 175 miles after that. The distance was from "air-line" from any place where an FCC exam session was held 4 or more times a year.

3) General and Technician used the same written test until March 21, 1987. On that date, old Element 3 was split into two parts, with both parts required of General but only one for Technician. Both licenses also required the Novice written.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K3OHU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 07:36:25 PM »

Thanks of the info and corrections.
I was wondering, because I was talking to an acquaintance yesterday, who I didn't realize was a ham. I saw he had a 2 meter antenna on his house, and I asked him if he worked HF too.  He told me he was "only" a tech.  I'll have to talk to him again, I almost positive he was licensed in the old days and would qualify for a general ticket.

I find it strange the the FCC database would not show when a tech license was first issued so that the upgrade could be automatic.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 04:28:11 AM »

Even as "only a Tech" your friend can work HF -- cw on the 80, 40 and 15 meter "Novice" sub-bands" and both cw and ssb on 10-meters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: