Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st CW DX and How to QSL  (Read 2810 times)
KF7DS

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2011, 10:09:16 AM »

Just had my first CW DX (and first DX for that matter since I have been back into radio) and what a thrill. I was scanning 12 meters the other day, which was supposed to be a bit bunk due to HF conditions, but found JA8BBD all alone transmitting CQ, at about 24.90mhz.

It sounded as if he had an automated CQ as the CQ kept endlessly repeating itself. I tried responding on top of the tx frequency to answer, but nothing...it did not seem as if the op was listening. I decided to move up 1.5KHz from the signal and send out my own CQ to see what happened...and, the op, Mikio, answered. Honestly, it felt like my first QSO...but, I was not all thumbs this time.

So, I have a question regarding QSLing. The op said to QSL via BURO, but not sure if he means the ARRL Bureau or the address listed on QRZ.com (there is a mailing label for the op). I thought it best to QSL via that address assuming that is the address of the BURO, but not sure.

When an op specifies BURO, just how does one find out what BURO they mean?

BTW, after recording the QSO in my log and getting a coffee, I went back to the frequency to see if he had any more contacts and there was a big pileup...guess I was lucky:)

Thanks for any help.

Best,
Don
KF7QZB
W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 11:02:04 AM »

Hi Don,

First, congrats on your first CW DX QSO !  (I am a born again CW Op myself Wink.

As far as getting your card from the JA you worked here are my thoughts:

JA has a very well organized out going and incoming buro system and it is used extensively. 
You can send your card to the ARRL out going buro or directly to the JA buro to save some time.
Here's a link:  http://www.jarl.or.jp/English/0-2b.htm

Now is a good time to send in some funds to the 7 area call sign incoming ARRL Buro so you'll have some pre-paid envelopes ready when your buro cards start to come in.
Here's a link for that: http://www.arrl.org/incoming-qsl-service

The ARRL out going buro info is here: http://www.arrl.org/outgoing-qsl-service

Remember that the trade-off for using a buro is the ability to mail your cards in bulk to one point which then re-mails the cards in bulk to the DX buros which re-sort and mail.  Just be prepared for a turn around that could be up to a year.

Most JA's will be happy to QSL direct if you send an SASE and the appropriate funds for US postage.

Here's some great info regarding QSLing from here on eHam: http://www.eham.net/articles/20709

I also recommend the Pathfinder QSL site which has aggregated several QSL sites so that you can check the routes for the more rare DX stations: http://www.dxlabsuite.com/pathfinder/WebClient/

Lastly, get your LOTW account set up.  Not as exciting as collecting all that paper, but really nice when you are nearing important DXVCC milestones.

If you decide to pursue your DXCC I welcome you to a great part of this hobby and the thrilling challenge of chasing the All Time New One !

73 de harry, W6DXO
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:14:37 AM »

I don't know why you would send one card to the JA buro (as the previous responder mentioned) unless you are going to wait until you have 50 or 100 JA QSOs. If you are going to send one QSL to the JA buro you may as well send it direct to JA8BBD and get your reply quickly.

Chris/NU1O
WA4FNG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 06:15:54 PM »

His QRZ profile says bureau only, but you might be able to send direct, but you'd probably need to send an IRC or GS. Personally, I would wait until you have a few more DX contacts and use the ARRL outgoing bureau. Also, he doesn't show an email address, so I'd just wait and use the bureau.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »

don't forget, you must be a MEMBER of the ARRL to use their outgoing buro. ANY US Ham can use the incoming buro. It is the sole reason many guys are members of ARRL.

paul
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »

You can also send cards directly to the Japan buro. http://www.jarl.or.jp/English/0-2b.htm

Be sure you have envelopes in your appropriate incoming buro (no memberships required). http://www.arrl.org/incoming-qsl-service

Edit: I now see that this info was already posted.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:33:32 PM by WW3QB » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 07:40:46 PM »

The original poster may also be quite surprised because a great many JA stations will be the ones requesting a QSL, and their bureau system is amazingly efficient. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has a card waiting for him in just a few months.

For a first-ever DX contact, though, I think a direct card would be in order. One IRC or $2 plus a self-addressed envelope will do the trick.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »

Thanks much for all of the great feedback and direction

Best
Don
KF7QZB
KQ0C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »

If everyone would simply sign up for Logbook of the World we could save all this sorting, postage and delay.. For now I am getting just over a 40% rate of QSOs getting confirmed electronically... often within a week. And the rate seems to grow... almost all DX-peditions are now using LOTW.  I can see wanting cards to decorate a shack from really wonderful and rare places... but for most qsl-ing lets all get together and make LOTW work for everyone in the ham community. After all it is fundamentally strange to be in a hobby making instantaneous electronic contacts and then following up with years long card trading by mail.
EI9JU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 10:02:44 AM »

If everyone would simply sign up for Logbook of the World we could save all this sorting, postage and delay.. For now I am getting just over a 40% rate of QSOs getting confirmed electronically... often within a week. And the rate seems to grow... almost all DX-peditions are now using LOTW.  I can see wanting cards to decorate a shack from really wonderful and rare places... but for most qsl-ing lets all get together and make LOTW work for everyone in the ham community. After all it is fundamentally strange to be in a hobby making instantaneous electronic contacts and then following up with years long card trading by mail.

Perhaps if LOTW moved into the 21st century and accepted on-line registration instead of expecting DX stations to snail-mail proof of identity (passport/driving licence and a utility bill) more would sign up.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »

Perhaps if LOTW moved into the 21st century and accepted on-line registration instead of expecting DX stations to snail-mail proof of identity (passport/driving licence and a utility bill) more would sign up.

You hit the nail on the head, Jerry.  We have to use snail-mail in the US, also.

Chris/NU1O
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 05:25:34 AM »

You hit the nail on the head, Jerry.  We have to use snail-mail in the US, also.

Chris/NU1O

Questions regarding the registration procedure and system integrity aside, it's silly to complain about a one-time use of regular mail when the alternative is the time and expense required to send tens or hundreds or thousands of cards through the same mail system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: