Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CNN- PRNK Saved by an illegal, homemade radio  (Read 4566 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2014, 06:23:36 AM »

From CNN Many North Koreans listen to illegal broadcasts on homemade radios, some are convinced to defect

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2014/05/13/pkg-hancocks-north-korea-defector-radio.cnn&iid=article_sidebar&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2014%2F10%2F10%2Fworld%2Fasia%2Fkim-jong-un-north-korea%2Findex.html%3Fhpt%3Dhp_t2#/video/world/2014/05/13/pkg-hancocks-north-korea-defector-radio.cnn
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 11:34:08 AM »

Cool. I believe that "legal" radios in NK are fixed freq, they can only tune in the handful of freqs used by the regime. I once saw a photo of a legal NK radio, it had no dial and only three pushbuttons for tuning. In NK, if you are sent to a political gulag, so is your entire family, and you are NEVER set free. Even kids and grandkids of the original political prisoners are born, grow up, and spend their entire lives in camps. I would love to know if those homemade rx's are MW only or if they also use SW.
VK3DWZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 04:54:40 AM »

According to the book The Aquariams of Pyongyang, Chinese -made wirelesses are available in Pyongyang.  I have also learned that such wirelesses are smuggled in across the border (from China).  I could imagine that shortwave would not be of much use in DPRK since most everybody only speaks Korean.  K.B.S. in South Korea transmits medium-wave from sites not far from the D.M.Z. at very high powers and no doubt that's how those in the North can hear broadcasts from outside the country.  Of course, the penalties for listening to such transmissions are incredibly harsh.  By the way, I spent two hours listening to wireless stations from the DPRK tonight.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »

According to the book The Aquariams of Pyongyang, Chinese -made wirelesses are available in Pyongyang.  I have also learned that such wirelesses are smuggled in across the border (from China).  I could imagine that shortwave would not be of much use in DPRK since most everybody only speaks Korean.  K.B.S. in South Korea transmits medium-wave from sites not far from the D.M.Z. at very high powers and no doubt that's how those in the North can hear broadcasts from outside the country.  Of course, the penalties for listening to such transmissions are incredibly harsh.  By the way, I spent two hours listening to wireless stations from the DPRK tonight.

I was thinking that those homemade rx's are probably MW. MW rx's can be pretty simple-anybody remember the "boy's radios" of the 50s that were two or three transistors in what was probably a regenerative circuit?
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »

I saw a photo of a North Korean bootleg made radio and it looked like the PCB of a clock radio or small boombox that was placed inside a small box made of thin boards. It looked like it may have had two or three bands (from the number of IF cans), probably AM - FM like on most clock radios, perhaps a SW band also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: