The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wellbrook Question  (Read 1302 times)
KG4WXP

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:39:21 AM »

Huh I have an ic-746 and a Softrock Ensemble II. 99% of the time I'm just listening, rarely talking.

I know there are a ton of different versions of the Wellbrook Loops, I will probably be using mine indoors and eventually put it outdoors on a back deck (maybe.)
Main listening interests are HF ssb utility stations (boats, pirate radio, planes), AM Cb, and the occasional MW and LW listening, but mostly HF.

Which version of the Wellbrook would be best for my application? Thanks!
KG4WXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 03:01:15 PM »

No one uses the Wellbrook Loops?  Huh
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 03:08:10 PM »

I have the ALA1530+NA up on my roof with a rotator. Very very good performance. Pricey but worth it because of its signal to noise ratio and powerful performance even in MW/LW with a small footprint.
Andy makes two indoor versions for you.
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/Loop_Antennas/ALA1530PE-1
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/Loop_Antennas/LA5030-1
and he uses stellar quality components (except I am not thrilled with the interface-to-receiver feedline-kinda cheap)
Hope this helps.
KG4WXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 03:43:22 PM »

I have the ALA1530+NA up on my roof with a rotator. Very very good performance.

Does it have to be tuned with a tuning box when you switch frequencies, like a tx mag loop (ie like the MFJ Magnetic Loops)?
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 06:25:51 PM »

No not at all. You only need to rotate it to either null unwanted stuff or to pinpoint a signal as it is directional. I suppose your indoor one you can rotate manually.
K3PRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 10:40:19 AM »

Hi:

I use the Wellbrook and serious shortwave receivers. I would be willing to discuss the Wellbrook antenna with you. If interested send me an email with your email address.

Don K3PRN
druokonen@hotmail.com
VE7SHM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 05:45:21 AM »

I have the  ALA1530LN NA about 10 feet above my shop i use it all the time on HF 160 -80-40 meters and Shortwave could not be be more pleased .............
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 07:56:36 AM »

I would opt for the Wellbrook and a TV rotator if used  outdoor. The reason is that such antenna with high IP3 can handle the large signals you have when the antenna is outdoor. For indoor use when signals are attenuated such an investment is less justified. I would opt in this case for the "Degen 31MS MW/SW active loop antenna" which is unobtrusive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: