Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UP means UP  (Read 1852 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2011, 02:55:51 PM »

You wanna talk about dickheads?Huh A few minutes K2U* was calling so close to 9V1YC that it was damn near impossible to tune him out. The DX was on 10109.7 and this jerkoff was calling on 10109.73 or so, with a HUGE signal. If he was only running 200W, I am a Martian rocketship pilot, and I dont even know where the damned ignition switch is. He is not the ONLY one who does this crap. I hear others, but not this bad. I hope he reads this.  Angry Angry
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »

That was the first time I have ever heard any 9V station, he was LOUD! I was surprised. I took note that I heard him first at 2231Z he was nearly as loud as the stations he was working and then by 2245Z he was fading quickly. So maybe tomorrow I can show up earlier.

These idiots calling directly on the DX are infuriating. At one point James was calling for "K3?" and I called furiously while there was some tuner RIGHT on top of him (probably running KW). Turns out he was calling K3WA, but I think the whole episode took a couple of days off my total lifespan.

Still need 9V for #302.

paul
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 11:40:22 AM »

I get a big laugh when I see a DX spot with "up" as part of the callsign. I guess if you think "up" is part of the callsign there's no reason to operate split. In the world of the DX clusters it certainly provides for some comic relief.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 12:46:29 PM »

I get a big laugh when I see a DX spot with "up" as part of the callsign. I guess if you think "up" is part of the callsign there's no reason to operate split. In the world of the DX clusters it certainly provides for some comic relief.

I have often wondered about a similar situation.

Some years ago there was a popular DX with the call K5DUP.

I had been listening to 7.023 for over an  hour. There was this station with the callsign K5DUP. Very loud. Lots of people calling him. However, the caller could not hear them. Every call that K5DUP answered was a station I didn't hear. Every station I could hear was seemingly ignored. Propagation?

Also lots of different signals just sending their last 2, and in every case those last 2 are UP. What an Astronomic coincidence that so many callsigns end in UP. If the DX were to come back to them, which one would know to answer?

Maybe he moved down to 7.023 because of all the noise (solid wall of signals) extending all the way from 7.025 up past 7.035. Was there some kind of contest going on up there, or what?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:00:48 PM by AB8MA » Logged
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:27:58 PM »

Cheesy Thanks, I needed a laugh today.

Eric
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »

AB8MA-

As a DX newbie, I'm going to consider it a great success that I both understood your post AND found it absolutely hilarious. If I can figure out this UP phenomena, I wonder why so many others can't.
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »

I also saw that DX on 30M here in CT.  I've never encountered a DX station on PSK31 asking to call UP.  Soooo, How far up am I supposed to call???  I clicked on all the waterfall signals up from him and saw no one calling him, yet people were calling him on the his frequency.  I just moved on to a clear freq. and called CW myself.  Figured something wasn't right and I didn't know the answer......LL
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 04:13:30 PM »

I also saw that DX on 30M here in CT.  I've never encountered a DX station on PSK31 asking to call UP.  Soooo, How far up am I supposed to call???  I clicked on all the waterfall signals up from him and saw no one calling him, yet people were calling him on the his frequency.  I just moved on to a clear freq. and called CW myself.  Figured something wasn't right and I didn't know the answer......LL

I'm no PSK31 expert but I do believe that most PSK31 QSOs are done simplex meaning no SPLIT (i.e. UP) needed. I might be in error so the other in the know should chime in. Until you are sure, if you see others calling a DX station on his freq and getting responses, I'd figure he is simplex and have at it. Smiley

As to how far to call UP, if the DX station isn't explicitly stating UP 1 (you xmit 1 Khz up from his freq) or UP 5 or whatever, the rule of thumb I see most often mentioned is something akin to 1 to 2 Khz for CW, 5 to 10 Khz for SSB, and 3 to 5 Khz for RTTY. Not sure about PSK31 so you'd have to listen to get an idea if he is working SPLIT and not announcing how far. I'd guess 2 to 3 Khz or so would be a good place to start.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: